Turing Class of 2026

I don’t think anyone was denied. I think that happens on March 1st after the final acceptances for Turing

My S told me one of his auto admit classmates that didn’t get admitted into CS also shows the deferral for all honors programs except for CSB. This includes Turing. His classmate was placed in COLA Undeclared. I wouldn’t read much into it other than needing more time.

Are the applications reviewed by the same committee for CS program and Turing honors ?

No cs is reviewed by admissions committee while Turing is reviewed by Calvin Lin who’s the director of the program

Ye all we can do is wait for a week at this point

Received email about 50 minutes ago: please log in to my status to see important information . But nothing changed, still deferred to Mar 1st

found this on Payscale, this is for CS, could this be true?

1 Like

For those of you who got into Turing, would u mind posting some stats and if you had a technical interview or not? Just curious

No telling on accuracy. We typically do the calculation on our own as there are so many individual factors to consider.

Edit- I will say COVID has also changed things. My niece and nephew that I referred to earlier are “California based” but living in Austin for as long as their companies allow. Both are 2021 CS grads and earning well into six figures, while working from an apartment they share in Austin.

1 Like

Mine did not have any interview. She has 35 on ACT (OOS) and whole bunch of leadership (Research, presidents of STEM clubs and non-STEM). Coded a webapplication from groundup for her education initiative. That’s pretty much it, if that helps

1 Like

Question for all the Turing applicants who also applied to csb program. If selected to both, which one would you prefer and why?

I got one too and nothing new in portal. I am guessing delayed emails from changes yesterday.

CSB all the way. No matter where I go my plan was to major in comp sci and minor in business, I’ve always had a passion for both subjects. From what I can tell, CSB is exactly what I want from a college degree so if I was given the opportunity I would take it 100%. But turing is definitely still on my radar, and I would love to be apart of that program. I think if I dont get either program (which is how it seems it’s going right now) I will unfortunately end up somewhere else. As much as I love UT, idk if it’s worth the debt just for a undergrad when I have scholarship and honors offers else where. That’s my 2 cents

1 Like

There are going to be exceptions so do not pile on me but the general feedback from the recruiters is that joint business and CS degrees are 2 half baked degrees… you can develop business skills later on as well but when will you get.a chance to study those 400 and 500 level courses in compiler design and ML. You have only so much time in 8 semesters…’’

I have seen several kids at MET in Berkeley and Texas CBS struggle to get summer internships as SWE, and some have done well though

1 Like

I am not completely sure how the Computer Science portion of CSB is. Is it BHP + CS or BHP + Turing?

Yes, one of my auto admit classmates also has the deferral message for Turing even though he got COLA so I am not sure what the situation is.

1 Like

My observations…there is no difference. But when you involve courses from another major which in this case is Business, the pacing changes. Most pure CS kids will handle Data Structures and Computer Architecture as early as 2nd semester or 3rd. That makes them well prepared to face internship interviews in sophomore year. Now if you have business classes going as well in parallel, you slow down a bit, same for junior and senior year where pure CS students are going for depth in a sub topic, the joint degree students are in an altered path. Some students will just do fine, there will be a fork that one will arrive at where they are more competitive as a SWE or as business analyst/project manager/product manager.

1 Like

It’s the courses of BHP + Turing, but with different professors and classmates (at least different from Turing, not 100% sure about BHP). The best way to decide which one to pick is to go to the admitted student events for each. You’ll get lots of info about the programs, as well as a chance to meet your potential peers/upperclassmen.

1 Like

So do y’all still think all the applications were read already since people that weren’t offered CS also had the deferral message?

Were your nephew and niece Touring or regular CS? Thanks

1 Like