Tut behind the bed shelf

<p>I posted pics to Flickr. They’re public. Tag words: rolltide2012 or tutshelf or dorm shelf
19 pics total from beginning to end.
pm if you are having problems accessing</p>

<p>Great job! Now wrap carefully with some kind of protection for transportation! Don’t want any of that houndstooth or paint getting nicked! :)</p>

<p>Thanks for sharing.</p>

<p>Well Done Job!! Very nice! Is that contact paper or fabric wrapping the shelves? Also, are you planning to anchor it to the wall? Once loaded, it will be top heavy.</p>

<p>fabric wrapped. Anchoring somehow. Will figure it out after we see the actual bed and frame in July.</p>

<p>Thanks for the info :)</p>

<p>Looks awesome!! Thanks for sharing! My husband is going to get started soon!</p>

<p>Great job - your D must be thrilled. How are you going to transport it?</p>

<p>It breaks down to a small stack of flat boards. The legs are 7 1/2 feet which fit easily in our conversion van. Assembly and dismantling is simple. Built for the particular purpose of “anyone could do it.”
He offered to take a few orders that we could deliver in Tuscaloosa Aug 10-12th. He builds it. I paint it. You assemble it ;)</p>

<p>If anyone is still following this, I am preparing to transfer a similar design of these shelves to my daughters dorm room next week. For those who have done it, did you do them assembled or disassembled? How did either process go? The move-in rules at bama seem very restrictive?</p>

<p>Thanks</p>

<p>Disassembled. Assemble in room. Otherwise, you will be fighting them on the elevators and the stairs aren’t wide enough for one big contraption going up.</p>

<p>We are taking ours disassembled this week and will be putting it up this Friday. Finally finished it last night getting the fabric over the padded part for the headboard.</p>

<p>Wow, this is really nice! (I guess I missed seeing this last year.) You should go into business with this.</p>

<p>Just some follow up notes from move in. First thanks to original ideas. Watch the height and placement of the headboard. D’s bed was just below a sprinkler head. Quick trip to HD for handsaw to cut down legs. Move-in staff was being sticklers on height of disassembled legs but were cool enough to let me carry them up the stairs. Zip tying to legs of bed is an ideal way stabilize headboard. Finally, space is very limited in the room, especially with two girls plus families plus stuff. I got lucky and had the end of a hallway to use. Worked nicely but does need to be accounted for.</p>

<p>We built these this summer and followed advice to transport flat and assemble there. They were unloaded from the car with everything else, but didn’t show up in the room with everything else. DH went down twice to try to get them. The first time it was very busy and he was told they would hold them until 5pm and he could retrieve them then. The second time it was close to lunch time and they were not busy - and he was allowed to put the the shelves and the back on the elevator and bring them up, then go back down and do the same with the very tall sides. Considering he would have had to carry them up 9 flights, he was quite happy - and lucky. We were able to assemble them in the floor of the room since roommate and family had gone to lunch and there was ample room, then stood them up without any problem - or sprinkler heads to dodge. Very lucky, indeed!</p>

<p>Hi, I know this post is super old, but I am moving into Tutwiler this fall and would love shelves like this in my room. I think my dad and I could build them, but was wondering if any of yall have correct dimensions for each piece. I am going to orientation in June and might be able to get help/advice then, but has hoping to get a quick start. If any of yall have any advice, please share. Thanks in advance!!! </p>

<p>can this sort of thing be built for the standard rooms in Burke? has anyone done it?</p>

<p>Great Job!!! Pictures were very helpful!!!</p>