Tutwiler: L Shape or Straight Line? Pros Cons?

<p>My D is talking to her roommate and trying to decide who gets bed by window and who gets bed by door. Also whether to L shape or not.</p>

<p>Any opinions? Pros or Cons of each? </p>

<p>I think she will probably get the bed by the door because her roommate really wants by the window.</p>

<p>I think that if the roomie insists on the bed by the window, that she also must agree not to be the one who comes in late at night and noisily wakes up D who is by the door. And if the roomie finds that she can’t abide by that, then she moves by the door.</p>

<p>[Student</a> Affairs | Housing & Residential Communities](<a href=“http://housing.ua.edu/halls/hall_list.cfm]Student”>http://housing.ua.edu/halls/hall_list.cfm)</p>

<p>going by the 4th pic on the Tut link, I like the L shape.</p>

<p>When we were at BB we went to look at Burke because they said that it was the most like Tut. The show room had one bed lofted with a desk and fridge/microwave under the lofted bed.The other bed was lofted just the 31". The housing lady told us that in order to not have a high lofted bed, you must turn the other bed to be directly under the window.</p>

<p>It was also apparent that one desk was smaller and movable and the other was a built in and larger with a bulitin board above it. Maybe the compromise could be that whoever gets the window bed, the other gets the larger desk area? The only down side is, it seems the window bed would be closer to the larger desk…</p>

<p>will both beds fit in a straight line along the wall?</p>

<p>M2C - I agree but we won’t really know that until the semester starts! Roommate does have earlier classes but D says that is fine because she should probably get up by 9 anyways! </p>

<p>SM Bradshaw- The window bed does hit up right up against the big desk. It would not really make sense. The big desk will take the printer and possibly TV.</p>

<p>Mike- The two beds can be in a line. A little more floor space but then the small desk or fridge would have to be my D bed as a night stand. In the L Shape the small desk and the fridge fit in between the beds. With the LShape my D could by a tall skinny bookshelf to put next to her bed for more storage.</p>

<p>I guess I am answering my own questions. It just seems a little lopsided!</p>

<p>you can also do that over the bed shelf that was being talked about in another thread. examples shown in pictures on ua housing site.</p>

<p>what about this setup?</p>

<p><a href=“http://housing.ua.edu/halls/floorplans/tutwiler_fp_rendering.pdf[/url]”>http://housing.ua.edu/halls/floorplans/tutwiler_fp_rendering.pdf&lt;/a&gt;&lt;/p&gt;

<p>Mike - In the few rooms that we looked in, I never saw that set up. Only the L shape and one line. Interesting…</p>

<p>Has anyone seen that set?</p>

<p>I saw the book shelf over the bed thread. Waiting until July for the post of the pics!</p>

<p>^^^If you’re referring to the headboard shelving. Hubs is assembling shelf/hutch now. It will be finished in a half hour. :slight_smile:
Now, I need to figure out how to post link/pic to finished product. Any pointers??</p>

<p>i don’t know how, but if you want to email it to me i will figure it out.</p>

<p>I think the problem with the set up in the PDF file in post 8 is that it breaks up the room too much and doesn’t leave any one area of larger space like the L shape or straight line way does.</p>

<p>DD lived in Tut her Fresh year. She and her roommate did the L shape with the bed along the window to start. They rearranged the room about once a month and so the beds went straight along the wall as well. The TV went on the dresser between the closets. They shared the big desk and used the smaller one for makeup. DD had a body pillow and one of those that has the back and arms. Neither girl studied in the room. They both had study hall hours at the sorority and DD liked to go and study in Rogers Library.</p>

<p>Aphimommy - Did your D sleep by the window or door? Just wondering. Did she really have a preference or does it not really matter after the first week?</p>

<p>I can’t imagine my D switching her room every month. Sounds like a lot of work. But maybe her roommate will motivate her!</p>

<p>She slept by the window. She loved being able to see outside…we are sunshine people. Both girls had early classes. My DD met her roommate on Facebook and they attended Bama bound together. Her mom and I coordinated all the bedding and we both moved in at the first move in time. Both girls went through recruitment. The roommate went Theta and DD is an ADPi. They had a great year together…generally got along. they are both Nutrition majors so they still have classes together. We made a list of everything they needed and just split the list.<br>
Tip…get full room carpeting…it makes it so much more homey!
DD said to tell you that moving the room wasn’t hard at all. they also decorated for EVERY holiday! Twinkle lights in every color!</p>

<p>Her roommate is a Nutrition major! She will probably meet your DD. My DD gave up the window bed - her roommate did pull her into Tut on the first day and got them 4th floor. Without her she might have been without room since she decided late to go to U of A. The roommate can have the bed of her choice! We appreciate her! They met during the spring recruitment weekend in February. Hit it off immediately. Hopefully they will both get a bid and get along for the year …generally! </p>

<p>Twinkle lights are easy to change! I need to go and buy them! Roommate already got carpet. Not full room but pretty large… I think. It is returnable. I will ask DD to check into it.
Thank you for all your positive advice! :)</p>

<p>

</p>

<p>Love your attitude, collegeboom! (And your D’s!).</p>

<p>You are so welcome…PM me if you have other questions. DD loved Tut…lived at Julias when she wasn’t eating at the house or her boyfriends fraternity and LOVES sorority life and Alabama :slight_smile: :slight_smile: :)</p>

<p>I posted pics to Flickr. They’re public. Tag words: rolltide2012 or tutshelf or dorm shelf
19 pics total from beginning to end.
pm if you are having problems accessing</p>

<p>That is awesome!!! How will you get it to UA?</p>