Tutwiler - lofting bed & headboard

<p>D likes the padded headboard and shelf that we can rent. She also wants the bed lofted a bit to put the plastic drawers under the bed. Does anyone know if you can loft the bed AND use the padded headboard/shelf unit in Tutwiler? </p>

<p>Someone at one time posted the plans and pictures of the headboard/shelf unit they made. Not sure I can find that on here now or whom did this project. Right now, I’d pay someone to have that made.</p>

<p>D mentioned just yesterday that she would like the headboard/shelf unit as well, and she’s in Tutwiler. If there are plans for it somewhere, please post a link!</p>

<p>I think this is the thread. It was asaunmom whose H built the headboard. <a href=“http://talk.collegeconfidential.com/university-alabama/1358256-tut-behind-bed-shelf.html[/url]”>http://talk.collegeconfidential.com/university-alabama/1358256-tut-behind-bed-shelf.html&lt;/a&gt;&lt;/p&gt;

<p>you should contact that mom and see if they want to sell it.</p>

<p>That’s DH’s project after vacation! We’re planning to take it in pieces to move-in and assemble it in her room. The plan is to make the lowest shelf adjustable so if she wants the bed higher to fit storage drawers underneath, we can move the shelf up or remove it. The photos on Flickr are very helpful!
TX…have you been successful in finding storage drawers on casters? What are you doing about a bed skirt? Just a tension rod with 31" drop fabric? (I seem to recall someone saying that’s as high as they’re allowed to loft?)</p>

<p>“you should contact that mom and see if they want to sell it.”</p>

<p>Good idea. Anyone have one they would like to sell?</p>

<p>momoftriplets, the info provided on the housing page regarding the beds in Tutwiler states that the bed itself is “adjustable height up to 31” max from floor". The way I read it is that the bed does not have to be lofted to get this high, but can be lofted for more height. Fortunately, D says she doesn’t want to loft it (it was a pain to do D1’s at UTK), but the added height is helpful. 31" would be good, allowing storage underneath and study room on top (D1 could almost kiss the ceiling, so no studying in bed for her). Can anyone confirm this?</p>

<p>Also, are you making a bed skirt - and how do you attach it with a tension rod? It’s a good idea, but I’m having trouble picturing it.</p>

<p>TxNewCollegeMom, where did you get the information on the padded headboard and shelf for rent? I’m wondering what else I’ve missed…</p>

<p>For RCE, with the bed lofted to clear 33" underneath, assuming a 9 inch mattress depth ( including topper) then a King size duvet should drop to the floor on both sides of the bed. She can just flip it up ( if it is ever actually " made" )</p>

<p>momoftriplets - most storage drawers at walmart and the like come with casters. they are just inside one of the drawers while on display at the store.</p>

<p>also, you don’t need an actual tension rod for an under the bed curtain. you can use a piece of electrical pipe with rubber stoppers on the end. it is super cheap and sturdy. you just wedge it in there. you can adjust the length a bit by putting nickels inside the rubber stoppers.</p>

<p>We were going to use a tension rod and doing 3 panels so that she can easily get to her drawers under the bed. We didn’t use the ones with casters. We found some that are black w/ the dark grey/black clear plastic drawers so that her stuff is not “all out there”. D says she does not want the skirt but we are making it and will take when we go move her from Lakeside to Tut. </p>

<p>Gave DH the measurements to make this bed shelf unit. I’m sure we can do this for less than $50 and then she can use it every year she needs it and then hand it down to her sister. </p>

<p>TNandBama, we got all of this in our packet that was in the bag they gave to parents at Bama Bound. It had all kinds of good stuff in there that the kids do not get. This company rents padded headboards, the shelf padded headboards, they loft the bed, rent safes, rugs, etc. If you order by July 26 they will have it already lofted or rented items in your room when you show up to move in. They want $250 for the year to rent the padded headboard and shelf unit. Why I think we are going to build this. DH will have 3 weeks to get it done when we get back :slight_smile:
[url=&lt;a href=“http://www.cblorder.com%5DHome%5B/url”&gt;http://www.cblorder.com]Home[/url</a>]</p>

<p>Is it possible to use a headboard in Ridgecrest?</p>

<p>kda, yes. Go on their website and you can see pictures. You could make one yourself if you are handy and crafty.</p>

<p>Did anyone else recieve that packet this week with whole packages to order? Bedding, room accessories, etc. They should have sent that info out MONTHS ago!</p>

<p>So, can you use this and still have your bed lofted for under the bed storage in Ridgecrest? Still kinda confused on that one.</p>

<p>Yes, they loft the bed then attach this headboard that is padded with a shelf at the top. They have pictures on their site.</p>

<p>Safes: Okay, looking at those now. Is there not a drawer or closet that locks? Need to know for Lakeside and Tutwiler. </p>

<p>Forget tuition, it is all the stuff that goes with college that costs the most. I may be going into business making and selling stuff for college kids.</p>

<p>Awesome, thank you!</p>

<p>Well, on their site they say they can not. But the mom that made theirs did. So we are going to have them loft the bed then make our own headboard. I was going to contact them about them doing both but decided I did not want to spend $250 to rent something we can make for a lot less and use many years.</p>

<p>TxNewCollegeMom, that explains why I hadn’t seen it. I didn’t get to go to Bama Bound b/c I was recovering from unexpected surgery, and it was still in the bag. I found it though, and think we’ll also make it rather than spending that amount to rent it. Thanks!</p>

<p>Hi there!
I want to chime in. There’s a difference between a raised bed and a lofted bed.</p>

<p>The beds at Tutwiler will be set to 31" off the ground, which will definitely accommodate the rolling drawers you can buy at most major retailers.</p>

<p>If you have the bed lofted to 60" off the ground, it will accommodate the desk underneath, with clearance for your head. This is also how you would set it up if you were planning to put a futon underneath.</p>

<p>You can see the difference in the setups here: [Student</a> Affairs | Housing & Residential Communities](<a href=“http://housing.ua.edu/movein/arrival/pack_tips.cfm]Student”>http://housing.ua.edu/movein/arrival/pack_tips.cfm)
Just scroll down and you’ll see photos of the two bed heights.</p>

<p>Due to ceiling clearance, Collegiate Bed Loft will not set up lofts and headboards on the same bed in Tutwiler.</p>

<p>Hope this helps!
Janine</p>