U C "Oddball" Scholarships

<p>I’m calling them ‘oddball’ because some of them had very unusual criteria. </p>

<p>So here’s the question: Who knows anything about these ‘other’ scholarships. The ones for which we checked off the boxes on the U C Application. There were some for former residents of certain Chinese provinces. Some for children of Ventura County firefighters or students of certain Butte county high schools or descendants of Ava Something or Other. </p>

<p>I remember checking off the box for descendant of Civil War Veteran and descendant of WWI veteran who served for more than four months prior to 1917 (or something like that).</p>

<p>Did any of you get one of those scholarships? How much money did you get? Did you have to verify that, in fact, you had an ancestor who fought in the Civil War? </p>

<p>There were a lot of boxes to check. Are these scholarships awarded with the financial aid letter?</p>

<p>I remember I checked some of those random things on my application. It doesn’t seem to have done me any good.</p>

<p>After searching each UC campus separately it seems that some have a lot of these ‘special criteria’ scholarships and others don’t. The websites don’t say how much money they offer, or anything much about them. </p>

<p>UCLA has a long list. Davis has none. </p>

<p>I was just wondering if anyone got one of these, how they got it, how much money was granted, etc.</p>