U. Chicago Class of 2027 Official Thread

This is the official discussion thread for U. Chicago Class of 2027 RD applicants. Ask your questions and connect with fellow applicants.

RD Application Deadline is: January 3

1 Like

Anyone able to state (or speculate) what percent of the class is filled through the RD round? I’ve heard something like 20% but nothing officially verified.

UChicago

5 Likes

Thanks!

Not much action on this thread. Did anyone get deferred in EA/ED/ED2 and waiting RD?

Yeah, my son was deferred during EA round. This is one of his favorite schools but we just couldn’t commit ED2 so not expecting good results next week based on history of EA to RD results. So we’ve been trying to focus on the offers he’s received and keep him excited about those. Signing up for admitted student event days, etc.

4 Likes

Exact same here.

3 Likes

My older kid applied RD for class of 2025 and we thought, no way. The guidance counselor said, probably a misstep. Should have ED or ED2, but during height of COVID, we had not visited yet, so felt that was impossible. Well, it worked out. Just as perspective: someone does get in RD. However, we were not holding out for lightning to strike twice, so younger kid applied ED2 and will be joining class of 2027. Best of luck.

3 Likes

That’s awesome. Congrats to your kiddo. Both of them!

My son had zero interest in UChicago. Was only interested in colleges out East. Kept saying he wanted out of the Midwest, until we made him visit the school. I just knew it was going to be a great fit. He fell in love with it. We were honestly stunned at how much he connected with it. So we were all disappointed when he was deferred. Since then he’s had 2 friends commit to UChicago so he’s even more excited about being there, but I’m trying to get him equally excited about a few other options that did admit him.

The numbers don’t look good. People are throwing around 1-2% chance of admission for EA applicants who were deferred.

2 Likes

Keep your hope, my daughter applied several years ago EA and was deferred to RD and ultimately accepted in RD. Interestingly my daughter also was adamant that UChicago was not for her initially. But, she flew in for an overnight visit and came back very excited about UChicago.

2 Likes

We’re trying to be positive. Especially since my son told me that I’ve been too negative. It’s a hard place to be in—trying to be encouraging while preparing them for potential bad news. But I love hearing these personal stories with great outcomes!

Anyone know the acceptance rate for OOS RD for business undergrads? Heard it was super low lmao, got deferred EA :sob:

It’s private so OOS is not a factor but EA to RD is about 1-2%

3 Likes

My son did! Not holding out too much hope for getting in RD (from what we’ve heard from DSs college counselor), but you never know.

Anyone have a sense of the remaining spots after Ed1 and Ed2 and number of applicants? My daughter is regretting not going early decision. That seems to be the trend this year for yield. Also nervous since a few kids from her high school were admitted early. Do the numbers admitted from a certain school in the early rounds make an impact on RD? Good luck to everyone! This school is phenomenal.

1 Like

They take approximately the same number of kids in each round, but the denominator changes. It is about 500 ED1, 500 ED2, 500 EA and 500 RD. However, in the ED rounds, there are about 5,000 kids applying and in the RD round it is about 20,000 kids. This info was directly from Jim Nondorf, director of admissions, when he spoke at our high school.

6 Likes

Noticed withdraw button is gone from application portal. Wonder if that could mean anything…

Mine didn’t disappear :open_mouth:

1 Like

In the past that has meant an accepted or rejected decision - not waitlisted.

2 Likes