U. Chicago Class of 2027 Official Thread

Son was waitlisted. Looks like the portal astrology earlier today was accurate.

2 Likes

Anyone got accepted?

1 Like

To make sure I understood; you’re saying I should commit and then withdraw? I didn’t know that was even possible. I thought that “commiting” was a commitment haha. But now, seriously, is that what you’re suggesting?

rejected

Son rejected.

This was one of his top 2 and he said if he got in he’d definitely attend. Unfortunately he never submitted a video. He did EA and we couldn’t do ED2 when it was time to consider it.

4.48 GPA
1520 SAT
9 APs and lots of honors classes
Physics major
Natl Merit Commended
Hispanic Recognition Scholar
Various leadership ECs and pre college programs in math and science

We knew the chances were 1-2% after EA deferral but were hoping for a miracle.

Congrats to everyone who did get in! :tada: I should have started with that.

3 Likes

sorry ill be more clear. you should “commit” to UIUC, meaning you officially choose it. And then, if you get off the UChicago waitlist, you can withdraw from the university (as you would anywhere, if you were to drop out of college or something), and then accept your place at UChicago. While committing is a commitment, there’s ways of like getting out of it. Colleges are aware that students may change their choice if they get off a waiting list of a college they would rather go to.

Thank you! Take care :slight_smile:.

Many people do this if they get off of a waitlist, but please read the fine print to know what you are financially responsible for if you withdrawal.

2 Likes

my son too - waitlisted…

Does anyone know how many students UChicago waitlists? There’s also an option to be considered for Fall 2024 if offered a spot off the waitlist. Is this a new trend?

1 Like

Son waitlisted. 4.4 GPA, 36 ACT, National Merit Finalist, loads of AP. Math major. Tons of EC but mostly music related. Very little community service.

He’s disappointed but still holding out hope for his first choice (Northwestern).

good luck w Northwestern!

3 Likes

Thank you! Two more weeks of agony lol

1 Like

Tom Petty said it best! It truly is the hardest part. (even harder is not projecting my stress onto my son, he prob thinks I dont care at all lol)

1 Like

Does anyone know what the process/timeline is for waitlist? When would kids hear if they’ve been accepted off the waitlist? Son was waitlisted RD today.

I heard Chicago sometimes waitlisted the very top applicants because yield rate. when these people don’t get in other top schools , then contact Chicago, they will be taken off wait list very quickly

6 Likes

rejected! oh well lol

1 Like

D waitlisted
Also has a likely from Columbia so she’s happy. Still, she really likes UChicago. Both schools have really great core curriculums and there’s a lot to gain from them if it suits the learner.

I’ll also add that it doesn’t seem that the admissions viewed her video profile (unlisted on youtube) based on the static click count.

4 Likes

congrats on the Columbia likely!

3 Likes