U. Maryland Class of 2027 Official Thread

This is the official discussion thread for U. Maryland Class of 2027 RD applicants. Ask your questions and connect with fellow applicants.

RD Application Deadline is: January 20

2 Likes

Any idea when RD decisions come out for UMD? I didn’t see it on the calendar; I have 4/1 in my notes but that seems late.

1 Like

Any news on when there will be RD decision?

2 Likes

Absolutely no update from UMD… any idea when RD results will be out?

1 Like

In the past, it was the Friday before the April 1st date. Last year, it was the Mon. 28th or Tues. 29th depending on the student. My guess is Monday or Tuesday Mar. 27th or 28th but could be as late as Friday, Mar. 31st. Good Luck to the RD students!!

3 Likes

Whats up with UMD, no email, no announcement on social media! Absolute silence!!!

I believe UMD focuses mostly on its Early Action Applicants. Regular Decision applicants are an afterthought. Though for past years, I believe they will report either today or on Friday after 7pm. Good Luck!!

1 Like

Yes, they fill about 95% via EA.

Maybe the admissions office can provide a date.

We had the worst experience with UMD. Despite sending transcripts in time, they claim that they didn’t receive them. Hence deferred from EA to RD. Emails and phone calls don’t offer any resolution at all. With a large number of applications, it appears that they hire temp folks to answer calls and emails and they most often have no clue how to handle queries. Lost opportunity for us.

Talk with admissions, there is no release date for regular decisions. The only information they are giving out is the decision will be posted by April 1st before 7pm. Since I doubt they will release on a Saturday, I am (totally) guessing but it will probably be Friday, Mar 31st. Once again, good luck everyone!!

I am an RD applicant. I think today is the last day for UMD to release the decision, but since now, I haven’t received any official notification from UMD, so I am so nervous about it. And I heard that UMD seldom admits RD applicants, is that true?

Sadly yes. Applying RD significantly lowers your chance of getting an acceptance especially for the most in-demand majors. They can release decisions today or tomorrow before 7pm. However, given tomorrow is Saturday, I am hoping for today. Good luck!! You never know. I wish you the best!! Hopefully, you already have some solid options:)

Unfortunately yes. They fill 95% of their class through EA. Some majors might completely fill up as well.
Sorry, I know that’s tough news - but you never know. Good luck.

Thank you for being so helpful. I applied for CS, so there is little chance for me, but I hope I can at least get into L&S school so I have the chance to change to CS later. Many of my friends with comparatively lower stats got into CS or L&S in the EA round. So I think maybe I still got some chance to get in.

I am wondering if they will even review all the applications for a 5% selection. Not worth the effort!

Received an email that status was updated; son applied RD (didn’t know about their strong preference for EA), OOS CS, rejected 1590 4.0 uw.

Yes they do review all the applications. Every year, there are RD acceptances.

1 Like

Sorry to hear that. CS is very competitive in EA but really, really hard in RD. I trust your son has other good choices he’s excited about.

2 Likes

Thanks. He was admitted to U Mich Engineering but his CS direct admit decision was deferred (presumably will find out soon). Not necessarily a complete deal breaker if he doesn’t get into CS (he’s considered other paths as well, largely because he’s already done a lot of undergraduate level CS and isn’t sure he wants to repeat it) but it does make the choice a less obvious one. He has some other good options, but was rejected or waitlisted at most of the schools he was really excited about. He’s likely going to take a gap year to work and plan to attend school in fall of 2024. U Maryland seemed like a great fit so maybe he’ll re-apply there EA. In the meantime, he has a great part time job in software development, and he likes the idea of having some time off from academics (and from the whole admissions process) to do some more of that.

1 Like

Am I the only one who still didn’t hear back for RD? I emailed them twice but they didn’t reply.

1 Like