U Miami Parents Thread

<p>Diversmom suggested it, and I agree! We need a parents thread (and I'm sure the kids will appreciate it if we stay off some of their discussions, lol). So I thought I'd start it off. Share anything you want: suggestions for hotels, restaurants, things to do. Thoughts on majors and courses. Travel planning help. Questions on housing, etc. In other words, whatever you want!</p>

<p>Curious for tips from other parents who visit. Our 1st trip was the tour, 2nd was move-in. So for our daughter’s middle school break we took our 3rd trip to Miami so we could visit our freshman DS at UM. Thought we would have dinner with him every night but it seemed he was only free occasionally for quick bites because he had to get back for the basketball game, or to attend a producers’ meeting [Off</a> The Wire](<a href=“http://umtv.miami.edu/shows/off-the-wire]Off”>http://umtv.miami.edu/shows/off-the-wire), or finish a paper, or to help a friend shoot a student film, etc. At first I was annoyed that he didn’t want to spend all of his free time with us lol. Don’t all teenage boys want to hang with their parents?? I soon came to appreciate that something wonderful has happened. He has formed his own community at college and we should be thankful. Courtyard by Marriott in Coral Gables was close, clean and provides free breakfast. Great rates through UM <a href=“https://www6.miami.edu/travel/Hotels-Local/2011/Local-Hotels-2011.htm[/url]”>https://www6.miami.edu/travel/Hotels-Local/2011/Local-Hotels-2011.htm&lt;/a&gt; (Note: Disliked previous stay @ Courtyard in Coconut Grove). We attended a men’s BB game and loved seeing the players live instead of on TV & enjoyed hearing the cheers of the student section where our DS was seated. The football team’s QB Jacory Harris was near us in the stands so we chatted & our DD had her picture taken with him. He was very gracious and polite to everyone who approached him. Verizon handed out Hurricane necklaces and towels at arrival so go early for free swag. Strolled around campus one afternoon and spent time watching the dive team practice-amazing talent! Shopped the sale rack @ the bookstore and scored a $36 UM picnic blanket for $2.99! Other favorites: Dinners at Havana Harry’s, Shorty’s BBQ and Jaguar; shopping at Sunset Place and Dadeland Mall (just to have our fav ChickFilA since there are none in CT); sightseeing cruise out of Bayside Marketplace; sidewalk café meal in South Beach and swimming at Lummus Park & watching cruise ships head out around 5 p.m. (note-public facilities are disgusting); Coopertown airboat ride where we also held snakes & a baby alligator; quick stops at Venetian Pool & Biltmore which are great photo spots; enjoyed empanadas for lunch at Patagonia on the Miracle Mile; a most luxurious relaxing day @ Bill Baggs State Park (much nicer facilities) where we rented 3 loungers & umbrella for $25 and took a free lighthouse tour which affords the most amazing 360 degree views from the top. Also ate at the Lighthouse Café there which was very good but SLOW service. Kayaks and bicycles are available for rent. Definitely a must stop for future trips. Most important part of any college visit, of course, is the run to BJ’s to restock the dorm room. Even squeezed in a trip to Universal for the weekend (4 hrs. drive). Grateful our son chose Miami over his northern choices. Just decided to go to Homecoming weekend in the fall so we can attend the FSU football game.</p>

<p>Nice start Dumbo 11…As a graduates parent, I’m somewhat “retired” but will check back to see if I can lend any insight to things like interacting with OSAS, the Office of Student Account Services (if your student is on scholarship, you probably will get to know them), Study Abroad, club sports, housing, etc. The university has also started a parent connection, which sounds like a place to get to know other U parents:</p>

<p>[Parent</a> Connection | Enrollment Management | University of Miami](<a href=“http://www.miami.edu/index.php/parents/parent_connection/]Parent”>http://www.miami.edu/index.php/parents/parent_connection/)</p>

<p>We’ve visited campus 3 times, November, Feb, and Singer/Stamps weekend. We’ve stayed in three different areas to familiarize ourselves with the area. </p>

<p>First trip - Collins Ave, just north of SoBe. Loved it, and it was less congested than SoBe area. Lots of shopping opportunities on Lincoln Road, Ocean Drive, etc. Plus just a great place to people watch. </p>

<p>Second trip - Biltmore - Coral Gables. Very nice but secluded from everything. Great if you are a golfer, want a spa or exercise room. They are famous for their very pricey Sunday Brunch. You would have to have a rental car here, but you can pick up a Hertz car here which makes it very convenient and less insanity than renting at the airport. I think the Westin in Coral Gables also offers satellite car rental office. For shopping - Village at Merrick Park is amazing. Everything you could want, Neimans, Nordstroms, etc. Lots of dining options while you shop, with one of the best being the cafe on the 3rd floor of Nordstroms. </p>

<p>Third trip - The Sonesta Coconut Grove (daughter’s fave). Lots of restaurants within walking distance. Just a couple of miles from campus, but most important, Coconut Grove is where the students hang out. Lots of little restaurants and boutiques as well as a few chains like Cheesecake Factory, Chili’s, The Gap, etc. Oddly a 13-theatre movie theater hidden at the back of the Cocowalk shopping area. You can even watch a movie in their wine bar. Keep this theater in mind if you are staying in Coconut Grove and have a gap between check out time and flight. Loved JAGUAR restaurant. </p>

<p>Flight tips - Check the price to Fort Lauderdale (FLL) sometimes it’s quite a bit cheaper, and not much of a drive. </p>

<p>If you travel a lot, I highly recommend applying for a GOES Trusted Travelers card, or enrolling in one of the TSA sponsored prescreening programs. In certain airports, and MIA is one of them, you can sail through security without taking your shoes off, removing laptop or toiletries, and there’s a separate security lane. American and Delta keep one lane only for “trusted travelers”, but you can show your Trusted Traveler Card and zip right through. Miami is so crowded at times, it’s well worth the application fee.</p>

<p>So much helpful info here already! I love the idea for a parent thread : ) I finally finished that trip report that D was nagging me about so can stop worrying about that. Hope to see you back here soon Dumbo11; perhaps with a trip report of your own from spring break? </p>

<p>We are leaving this Saturday morning for our Allure cruise, arriving around 3pm, and plan to head over to the []_[] right away to get another look at the campus, and this time hopefully we’ll have time to grab a bite at the Rat! After we get off the ship the following Sunday morning (hoping it’s not a super slow process with such a huge passenger capacity) we plan to head back yet again for one last look, and with a 5pm flight, we’re really hoping that D can arrange to meet Zinc’s D; at scholarship weekend we were in one of the first mentor groups and she was assigned to one much later in the list, and we couldn’t quite figure out how to get to her without abandoning our own group - that probably wouldn’t have sent the right message :P</p>

<p>Great ending to the trip report, Illinoismom93! Have a wonderful cruise and enjoy the beautiful seabreezes and weather! Can’t wait to hear from you when you return!
Do you do cruise reports on CruiseCritic, too? You should! I love that site!</p>

<p>Agree with DinDune, IM93 - great overall trip report - so much detail and entertaining to read, plus the photos sprinkled in the middle - love that one of your daughter and childhood friend before and after.
My D would love to meet you and your family on Sunday the 1st. I will PM you before you leave for your cruise with her # so you can reach her when you finish your tour. Will also reply to your amusing email (still chuckling).
~Zinc</p>

<p>Thanks Dindune and Zinc! ha, nope, no reviews on the other CC (which H is always reading) but we haven’t cruised since D was in 8th grade; it’s our first family vacation since then! I’ve only written one other review in the past, for the hotel we booked via Priceline when we visited the “other UM” over Veteran’s Day. Zinc’s seen it already - [Can’t</a> wait to go back! (Radisson Bloomington and MOA) - Review of Radisson Hotel Bloomington by Mall of America, Bloomington, MN - TripAdvisor](<a href=“http://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowUserReviews-g42881-d589613-r120583428-Radisson_Hotel_Bloomington_by_Mall_of_America-Bloomington_Metro_Minneapolis_Saint_Paul_Minnesota.html]Can’t”>http://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowUserReviews-g42881-d589613-r120583428-Radisson_Hotel_Bloomington_by_Mall_of_America-Bloomington_Metro_Minneapolis_Saint_Paul_Minnesota.html) </p>

<p>I think you can pretty much tell from that post that none of us were quite as head over heels about that U as we are about Miami…</p>

<p>And I’m actually even more excited about the _ than about the cruise; it’s just such a weight off my shoulders to have the decision made and to know where D will be spending the next four years, and also to be seeing the campus again so soon. Off to answer your PM now Dindune :slight_smile: And Zinc - sounds great, so looking forward to meeting your D!</p>

<p>Loved the trip report and picture IllinoisMom. You will love the Allure. In terms of getting off quickly, just tell your cabin steward you need the color luggage tag that lets you off first. You can easily be off the ship by 8 am or earlier even. </p>

<p>We just got back from DisneyWorld. My kids had 3 days of overlap, so we spent a few days there and had a blast. Now older D is at the U with her younger sister enjoying the Miami sunshine before she heads back North. </p>

<p>Regarding storage, last year we shipped everything to CollegeBoxes. It is probably a bit more expensive, but very easy, as they deliver right to the dorm room. D is heading to London right when school ends with a Miami program, so we are using them again. They deliver boxes and packing supplies a week early, pick up at the dorm, and then deliver to new dorm in the fall. I am really not sure how the cost compares, but it is sure convenient. </p>

<p>Oh, and a big WELCOME to all the new U parents! Your kids made a great decision.</p>

<p>Would collegeboxes be used for storage of a desk chair and fridge? I’m thinking we need a storage unit.</p>

<p>Welcome back dumbo11, we missed you! Thanks so much for the cruise tips : ) </p>

<p>and</p>

<p>** HAPPY BIRTHDAY DINDUNE!!!
**</p>

<p>We have stayed at the Sonesta Coconut Grove all three times we have been to UM. It is lovely. It’s close enough, and fun to be in the Grove, & gives us something to do when S is busy. Thinking of staying at the Marriott Courtyard which I think is in Merrick Park, for the first time, when we fly down to pick him up in May. Better price, and we can use our points. Any feedback on that hotel?</p>

<p>We used CollegeBoxes too for our move in August. We had a great experience with them, and would recommend them. Of course, I had a minimalist son, so 4 shipped boxes and two free bags on Southwest and we were all done. It also helps to shop at the local Target and pickup at the store just a few miles from campus.</p>

<p>Illinoismom - I drove my son down after winter break (not really by choice), and it’s not too bad. 20.5 hours from O’Hare, mostly on 3 highways, it was a breeze. Of course, I flew back. Not sure I would be ready to do the round trip all by myself.</p>

<p>It’s time to get really excited - this is just the beginning of a great 4 years.</p>

<p>Itsifs, CollegeBoxes will store desk chairs and mini fridges. We have the same things to store. Happy Birthday DinDune!</p>

<p>Thank you for the nice wishes. Lovely birthday. I also have heard of collegeboxes and that they are good. We have used A+ mini storage on 67th Ave in Miami…just a few miles from campus and they have summer deals for UM students. </p>

<p>Also, we purchase CSI insurance for renters for the year and they are great…when the water fountain outside of S’s room flooded and his room thus flooded overnight while he slept, they covered the cost of replacement of anything that was damaged. Great to work with.</p>

<p>DinDune - do you recall if you contacted A+ mini storage
{{8395 SW 67th Avenue Miami, FL 33143 Phone: 305-665-8183}}
ahead of time (before the end of the semester) - like about now - to “reserve” a spot in their facility? Or did you just show up at the end of the semester with your S’s stuff?</p>

<p>Also, regarding insurance, my agent assures me our HomeOwners policy extends to cover our D’s stuff both while in the dorms and while in storage - no additional rental policy needed.</p>

<p>Thanks!
~Zinc</p>

<p>Zinc - </p>

<p>Please let me know what you find out. I was about to start the storage facility process myself.</p>

<p>Thanks!</p>

<p>I see A+ on 67th has 10 x 12 units (8’ tall) on “special” for $125 a month. Good if you can split it 2 or 3 ways. I’m pestering my D now on Skype to check with her friends to see if any of them want to share it with her. She probably only has enough stuff to fill that 1/3 of the way… Of course, they don’t want to be thinking about the end of the year this far in advance! I think she’d like to stay there thru the summer, and she may very well do that in Soph or Junior years.
[South</a> Miami Self Storage, Florida: A+ Mini Storage](<a href=“http://www.aplusmini.com/location.cfm/location/south-miami]South”>South Miami, FL Storage: A+ Storage)</p>

<p>As for the storage unit…we got a 5x5 and my DS shared it each time. We reserved the Student Special which was 149.99 plus a bunch of other fees making it around 209.00 total for the whole summer. Reserved this around May 1 each year. I think it may be too early at this point. Wait another month. We liked this place because it wasn’t like cages where people could see your stuff, it was more private with a garage door type thing that closed and locked. </p>

<p>As for dorm insurance, our homeowners deductible is very high, so having the dorm insurance policy, there was a very small (I believe 25.00 ). They reimbursed the claim quickly and with no questions. So, I’d check on your deductible before depending on your homeowners policy.</p>

<p>That sounds like a better deal than their $125 a month “special”. I was eyeing that 5x5 unit which is currently priced at $105 per month, so I’ll take your advice and wait. I’m such a planner, waiting is usually very hard for me to do! I’ve already got our reservations made for the trip home in May and have started planning the trip back down in August!</p>

<p>And, I see your point about the insurance deductible - I think ours is $500, so a small renter policy with a low deductible may be just the ticket.</p>

<p>Thanks again,
~Zinc</p>