U Miami vs Case Western vs U Pitts vs Penn State vs Temple - [chemistry, pre-med]

I will soon be a 1st time college parent in the fall 2022. My son has already narrowed down his top 5 choices - U Miami, Case Western Reserve U, U Pitts, Penn State and Temple honors. He is waitlisted at USC and UNC. His planned major is Chemistry with the goal of getting into medical school.

No financial aid (UPitts/Penn State/Temple Honors). Half financial aid CWRU and only 1/5 from UMiami. We live just outside Philly hence very familiar with Temple. Already visited Temple U, UPitts and Penn state. Next week will be visiting UMiami and CWRU. Currently UMiami is at the bottom of my list (net price is high) although its my son’s 1st choice.

Any experience on how to go about making an informed decision would be greatly appreciated.

For most people the relative costs would be a deciding factor, given that you have expensive grad school to fund as well.

1 Like

Cost. Also when you your UMiami - my husband is on med school faculty - make sure to go not only at tour times. The campus comes alive much later in the day. Ask questions about housing and the school plans re: need for more space. They are building more dorms delayed due to Covid and they have some options for students to do overseas earlier in their studies

Thanks for this insight. I thought about the cost and UMiami came last. At the same time I want to be careful about which school will best prepare my son for med school and/or Plan B in case he doesn’t get into med school.

I appreciate other things/items you mentioned to consider while visiting schools. I can see we made a mistake at UPitts by visiting only during visiting times and left right after the end of the schedule.

Pitt and CW are powerhouses when it comes to Pre-Med IME. If he wants to get away from Philly, those are good options.

U Miami is a nice school and the weather is certainly attractive, but it won’t help otherwise with Pre-Med. It won’t hurt either, but the difference in cost is certainly a consideration.

2 Likes

All are great. Cwru and Pitt strong and Miami too. That said med school is a fortune.

Cost matters !!!

2 Likes

Show him how much medical school costs.

Thank you.

1 Like

He knows and will have to work hard for scholarships (if any)

Don’t count on scholarships. Assume full pay.

If you’re one of the few lucky enough to make it (and most change their mind on their own), you’re not going to find scholarships (except in few occasions and in one case a school totally paid for).

Save your $ now. You’ll need them. And I’ll tell you this - college costs more (I estimate $3-5K a year) then they tell you already.

Honestly, you don’t have a bad name on your list.

2 Likes

There are some (my guy got one), but they’re usually minor and don’t cover all the bills even if they cover some of tuition.

What many who can’t pay for it do is take out loans for the cost (tuition, living costs, etc). Then, at this point (could change down the road), it’s possible to sign up for loan forgiveness. His school, or maybe residency, talked him through it this past summer. Loans get paid based on income for 10 years, then the rest are forgiven if they work at a non-profit for the entire time. My guy’s residency counts for the non-profit, so that’s four years. Afterward if he were to decide he wanted to practice elsewhere, he can, but he’s responsible for the entire loan bill. Otherwise, he goes non-profit for six more years, then can go wherever he likes. It seemed like a no-brainer to sign up since he can change his mind. It also keeps his loan repayments affordable during his residency years.

His house-mate through med school went the military route. His med school was completely paid for by the Army and now he’s in residency with them, albeit not in his first (or second) choice specialty. He owes them a certain number of years, but I’m not sure how many. It can be looked into if it appeals.

It’s a lot of debt, so I understand the caution. Been there, done that, and now with a very happy resident doctor who doesn’t mind because he’s doing what he loves.

Your guy will have to see what his options are down the road, but right now doctors are still needed so there are a few programs to help if the “trade off” is ok.

2 Likes

I sincerely appreciate all the feedback, they are great and thank you all for your time. I also know that, these kids might change their majors after few years in undergrad college (who knows, but that’s reality too). It looks like CRWU and UPitts are front runners.

1 Like

Thank you.

We are in state PA as well, and D had some of those schools on her list for Nursing as well. Pitt’s reputation in health science and price is hard to beat!

1 Like

The advice I git from a friend who sits on the admissions committee of a top 5 med school is not to worry about which college will prepare you best for med school. Take the needed prerequisites for med school, study what you love, develop yourself as an interesting person, and work hard to get top grades. Med school will do the job that is needed to prepare you to be a doctor. She added that most applicants do something else for a year or two after college before applying to med school these days. Average age of med school applicants these days is 24. FWIW.

1 Like

I think Miami is the east choice. Best academics out of all of those schools and best location. Miami will open you to back grounds and people you’ve probably never experienced. Penn State is good and all but it isn’t Miami. Miami has everything for everyone and if you don’t go to Miami, I think it’s a huge mistake. But wherever you go, it’ll work itself out. All I’m going to leave you with us would you rather be at the beach in nice weather everyday, or freezing cold and drinking beers in dorm rooms at Penn State.