U Michigan Ross Preferred Admission Process Question

Hi!

I have a quick question regarding U Michigan Ross’s selectivity through the preferred admissions program. I saw online that the acceptance rate is 12%. I also saw that 6115 people applied, and 931 were admitted to Ross. For U of M, 65k people applied, and 17k were accepted (26% acceptance rate). For U of M LSA, 39k people applied, and 10.7k were admitted (27% acceptance rate).

My question is: Are the 6115 people who applied to Ross part of the 65k who applied to U of M, or are they a part of the 17k admitted to U of M?

Assuming 6k applicants were calculated from the 65k who applied to U of M, the true acceptance rate to Ross is 12-15% and around 50% once the student is notified that they have been admitted to U of M.

But if the 6k applicants to Ross are coming from the 17k admitted to U of M, then the total acceptance rate is much lower. An applicant would first have to get through the 26% acceptance rate to U of M and then another 12% acceptance rate to Ross: 3% acceptance rate net.

I realize not everyone applying to U of M applies to Ross. However, from an applicant’s perspective, they must first get into a U of M college, then compete with the 6k students who choose to try for Ross, only for 931 spots.

So, which option is it?

2 Likes

Curious as well about Ross. I know this week is the first wave…will there be denials as well? I’ve heard that your acceptance could fall in any wave but how is it determined which wave you fall in.

1 Like

This is a bit old but might answer some questions.

https://michiganross.umich.edu/programs/bba/admissions-blog/2018/03/23/we-ve-just-released-denial-decisions-some-michigan-ross-bba

I just got a notification from UPS My Choice that there are 5 packages from UM Ross B School heading my way…

Ross applicants represent about 10% of the total applicants.

1 Like

how do you find that

Ah ok, so after a student gets accepted to LSA, etc. they have been selected from the 6200ish who applied to Ross down to around 1700 people. I realize that U of M doesn’t look at your Ross application until you get in. But from a numbers perspective there is about a 50% chance that the kids who got in to U of M get into Ross (which probably completely depends on their business/math experience). Am I roughly right in my calculations?

Scroll to the bottom.

https://michiganross.umich.edu/undergraduate/bba/admissions/first-year-applicants

2020 admit rate was about 15% (931 admitted/6115 applicants).

1 Like

You have to make a ups my choice account

anyone get in?

anyone get accepted or sent email out yet?

I haven’t heard anything yet. @amandaga you got mail from them right? Have they emailed you?

Check the EA thread, yes some Ross applicants have received decisions today.

1 Like

Yes, I got in. Ups package comes tomorrow. This is only wave number 1; more waves to come!

1 Like

I started a thread for Ross 2025 decisions:

Good luck to everyone on this Friday’s wave of decisions!

Thanks! Again, your insight is appreciated !

So…were there denials the first wave?

There always is but you usually won’t see them on here. In the real world yes