U of A scholarship offer or not?

<p>OOS daughter was lucky enough to be accepted w/decent amount of scholarship money - enough that caught my attention. She doesn’t know much about the school as I suggested she apply. She knows more about U of Michigan,Wisconsin, Georgia, Tulane among others she has visited. Curious if any of you, or your sons and daughters, considered those schools prior to accepting offer from U of A and what issues were considered. Any help / comments appreciated!</p>

<p>I was accepted to both Arizona and Georgia. Arizona is offering me a scholarship, as well. My number one school is Clemson, and I won't know for a few weeks if I got in. </p>

<p>Living in Los Angeles, my parents would love for me to go to Arizona because it is close and they could see me more often. But, they want me to be happy in college and would deal with me going to school across the country.</p>

<p>Hmmm . . . I don't know much about several of the schools you mentioned, but I can tell you that both DH and I graduated from Tulane University. We enjoyed our experience there and received a great education at Tulane, yet we are very proud to be sending our first daughter off to U of A.</p>

<p>I come from a family where students from three separate generations have gone to U of A, starting with my grandmother who graduated from there in 1925! :) My uncle attended, as did several cousins, as did my brother. So although I did not attend U of A myself, I feel like I know something about the school. </p>

<p>DH and I took a fresh look at Arizona when it was time for DD to start applying - and we <em>really</em> liked what we saw. DD visited the UA campus thinking that another school was her #1 choice - but she quickly fell in love with Arizona and decided to commit to that school. </p>

<p>The academic opportunities are impressive (U of A is receiving an enormous amount of positive press for their science program in particular right now). DD was struck by the fact that Arizona students are incredibly enthusiastic about their school. Some of them literally stopped her on the tour and encouraged her to come to UoA. It's pretty hard to fake that level of high morale and enthusiasm, which she and my DH ran into all day long on the UoA campus.</p>

<p>Now, there are other intangible factors about attending any school, such as the location, climate, and size of the school. These aspects of Arizona may or may not appeal to your daughter. But for our family, even as proud Tulane alums . . . we are very pleased at our daughter's decision to attend University of Arizona.</p>

<p>Congrats to your daughter for receiving such a nice scholarship! :)</p>

<p>Thank you both for your comments. That is helpful stuff. SMiller, good luck with your choice. I live in Tennessee, but do not know too much about Clemson. I do know that UGA has become a popular choice among my daughter's peer group. I think they are attracted to the increased academic standing of the school in recent years, combined with the great social scene. LynnG, thanks for the candid comments RE: U of A. It sounds like your daughter has made her choice and it is a good one!</p>

<p>If your daughter is a "National Scholar"-- National Merit finalist, Nat'l Achievement, or Nat'l Hispanic-- U of A has an inexpensive visitation program available to her. They pay the airfare, and the students stay in the dorms-- there is a fee ($50?) for the food, but it is well worth it. Students have the chance to sit in on a class in their area of interest, tour the campus, etc. There is really no substitute for seeing the campus in person, and getting a feel for the campus and its students. Check out the "Honors College" link on U of A's web site (The</a> University of Arizona, Tucson Arizona) for more info.</p>

<p>Thanks Willsmom. I appreciate the data. Hopefully, she'll make that visit this Spring. Thanks again.</p>