U of Alabama Engineering Program

I am applying to the university of Alabama, mostly for the quite nice scholarships. I am from Michigan, so of course I am applying to Tech, MSU, Kettering, Lawrence Tech, and the big Monster U of Michigan Engineering.

I will most likely attend Michigan if , a big if, I get accepted and it is financially feasible, but I would like to know more about this university!

I do not have the time right now for a visit–I would love to escape the snow–but could I learn more about the engineering program–rigor, reputation, real world experience, quality-- from any alumni or any other members here. Thanks!

DS, only a first year student, says the thing that stands out for him so far is the ability to get involved in research at an early stage. This was difficult, if not impossible, for an undergrad to get meaningful research experience at other schools where he applied. No matter where you choose to attend, it will be what you make of it. Co-ops, internships, and the like are there if you are prepared and go after them. As far as rigor, that again will depend on you preparation to this point and frankly your abilities. Only you can truly give that answer.
Good luck and Roll Tide!

my son graduated in 2013 with a Chemical Engineering degree. The rigor is definitely there. The facilities are state of the art.

What area of eng’g interests you?

What else do you want to know?

I’ll chime in! So I’m a current sophomore majoring in Mechanical Engineering. I’m going to start my co-op with Alaska Airlines next semester. I’m in the honors college. I’ve lived in a multitude of dorms. So the rigor aspect of the engineering department depends on your major but overall is comparable to most universities. My favorite part of coming to Alabama on a merit scholarship is all the doors it opens. I’m a member of our stem path to an MBA where I’ll get my masters in business my 5th year I hope. And I also participated in emerging scholars which is a research program. I also interviewed for a lot of co-ops and internships and feel like those opportunities are awesome here. If you have any specific questions let me know! I’m also from the north so I understand when you first think of coming here it’s a bit of shocking and confusing.

My DS is a sophomore in Mech Engineering. He was accepted at UMich and Kettering but chose Bama. He is interested in automotive engineering and co-op, which is why he applied to Kettering. He has had a great experience at Alabama so far. He is involved with the EcoCar3 team and Emerging Scholars. The classes can be challenging, but he is learning so much! The engineering department has invested a lot of money in new buildings and equipment. So many opportunities for these students. I do hope you’ll get a chance to visit campus! If you have specific questions, feel free to PM me.

My DD is a sophomore, dual track in structural and civil engineering. She has a summer internship with Turner Construction. I see a very bright future for her. We have a number of engineers in both sides of the family - DD is the first for UA. Rigor is there. She is also in the STEM MBA honors program.

Here are some quick links…

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KrV8g7kxJps The growth of UA and academics/facilities

UA has updated its Quick Facts http://viewbook.ua.edu/quick-facts/

(2014 enrollment breakdown by state - new undergraduates - which would be freshmen for the most part): http://oira.ua.edu/d/webreports/enrollment2/Fall_2014/f18.html

http://oira.ua.edu/d/webreports/enrollment2/Fall_2015/e10.html
This URL gives FALL 2015 data for all of the university (not just freshmen).

http://eng.ua.edu/undergraduate/scholarships/

http://president.ua.edu/ Note the new UA President’s engineering credentials.

UA is definitely on the rise in STEM. This is obvious under the expansion in these areas under Dr. Witt and the hiring of Dr. Bell. Here is an article out of the Lawrence paper about KU membership in AAU (American Association of Universities) and potential dismissal. Dr. Bell is discussed in great terms in the article:

http://www2.ljworld.com/news/2012/sep/22/ku-should-be-concerned-about-aau-membership/

The AAU is a very highly, exclusive organization where the top STEM schools are members (members get 59% of government research funding, see AAU facts and figures):

http://www.aau.edu/about/default.aspx?id=16710

UA is also undertaking the Stem Initiative of AAU as evidenced by all of the new engineering buildings with labs. See this site:

https://stemedhub.org/groups/aau

To me, there is no doubt looking at the actions at UA that the goal is to eventually join the AAU. That would put UA as one of the top research/educational institutions in the US.

Has anyone heard if UA has announced the goal of entering the AAU?

@AverageJoe22 My oldest son is a second year Aerospace Engineering student at Texas A&M. My second son is a first year Mechanical Engineering student at Miami (Ohio). My third son is a HS senior and intends to study Mechanical Engineering next year. We started visiting engineering schools four years ago and have been to Stanford, Caltech, Michigan, MSU, Purdue, Illinois, Georgia Tech, Arizona State, Arizona, Rose Hulman, Cal Berkeley, Harvey Mudd, Trinity (San Antonio), Texas, Texas A&M, Iowa State, Miami. Pomona (not engineering), Portland (Oregon), and Santa Clara. Next Monday we will be visiting Alabama, so feel free to message me with any questions.

Michigan is an amazing engineering school with great facilities, but it is also amazingly expensive for OOS students (we are in Arizona) at $43,476/year, so we ruled it out for my oldest son. Even as a legacy (Michigan MBA) and a NMF, Michigan only offered him $10,000/year. The Engineering School is on North Campus, so it is a bit isolated from campus life, although bus service is good.

I am a Michigan State alum so my third son is also a legacy. With his ACT score he got in-state tuition and some great scholarships. He really liked his visit. The engineering school is very good and we liked the engineering residence experience and the honors college. I’m prejudiced, but I like MSU’s campus much more than Michigan’s. But if you prefer a more urban campus, Michigan’s campus is nice and Ann Arbor is a great town.

I have worked with quite a few Michigan Tech graduates and was impressed with all of them. As you know, weather is a significant concern. Houghton is the third coldest city in the lower 48 and averages 218 inches of snow a year. It is also 75% male.

I don’t know anything about Kettering or Lawrence Tech, except that Kettering was known as General Motors Institute until 1998.

FWIW, Alabama engineering students won the NASA Robotics Mining Competition this year: http://news.eng.ua.edu/2015/11/a-crimson-dynasty/

Very cool.

For a little bit of background, I go to a 2-year technical engineering tech program at our local career-tech program. We compete in robot competitions such as first or nrc, build bridges (m-dot), and have a lot of difficult english reports. Also honors chemistry, light and lasers, honors economics and other fun stuff.A large portion of classes are on projects such as a (plan,do,study,act) teams training, which incorporates a problem solving method to a local manufacturing plant. Students define a problem, and create tools to find a solution. This takes about a week, and this work is presented to the company. After this the technical presentation is digitized and turned into a 25 page technical report.

Another project was alloy research. Tensile strength, properties, forming, alloy component, impurities, and use were part of this lesson. Then we made a presentation, and performed tensile and Rockwell tests. A metallurgist came in to help us with these tests, and critique (tell us we were wrong) on our research. That was difficult because of how in depth it was, and how many article and technical reports we had to sort through.

Then for our robot competition, we are doing MATE ROV this year. We learn about tech stuff, like operating robot arms, programming lego robots, doing statistical QC, using CAD programs. Our program is actually housed in a Community College, and they are being very supportive. We are learning a lot, but it will be a challenge. I am also dual enrolled, and will have around 33+ CC and 6-8 AP credits by graduation. I have taken english, cultural anthropology, drafting, history etc… This includes Calc 1,2,3 and Diff Eq. Multivariable is much tougher than I expected,

Oh yeah, and each student is required to do an internship at a local manufacturing company. I did a lot of soldering, troubleshooting, basic electronic work, potting (to protect electrical components), and assembling in my 80 hour one. We present this info to the juniors so they can learn.I really loved my internship and enjoy the academy, even though it is a ton of work with Dual enrollment credits. So, yeah, I went to an average high school right…

University of Alabama sounds cool though.

I submitted my app yesterday, but want to start my scholarship application. I hope I get that email soon.

@AverageJoe 22 - Very cool indeed; you will be way ahead of most freshmen at any university.

@AverageJoe22 - you will find yourself ahead of most students who come into university not knowing what they want to do with engineering, no matter where you attend. I say this because you have had so much practical, hands-on and technical experience. With your AP credits, you will fit right in at UA and be able to do a lot more (double major, join nationally competitive eng’g teams - there are at least 5, participate in undergrad research, and a whole host of other options), because you have most basic classes already completed and there is room in your flowchart to do extra ‘stuff’.

When you set up your UA tour, be sure to ask for individualised touring options through the Honors College, and be paired up with at least 1 of the College of Engineering “Ambassadors” - these are students specifically chosen to take prospective students around. I would also suggest asking to sit in on a class (or two) of your choosing and talk with both professors and students afterwards. Also try to attend one of the engineering team meetings that I mentioned (eco, rockets, cars, robotics, aero, hovercraft, quad-copter, and there may be a few others). These are led by seniors, but many teams encourage/require lower division students to join (so they know what to do when they are seniors, of course). This is just like the program you have already been through. You sound like you would be a real asset to any team, at any university. Good luck with your decisions.

If you are interested in EE or EE with computer engineering, try to speak with Dr. Ricks when/if you tour UA.

UA has a great metallurgical engineering program as well.

@Nerdyparent Why do you say that about Metallurgical Engineering? Do you have experience with the program?

I am asking because I think that is a great field as it is applicable to all industries and that knowledge is very helpful in design/manufacturing. ME undergrads should take more classes than required in that field!

Full disclosure, I graduated in Met E from Iowa State and taught classes to graduate MEs.

@cyclonesgrad DS is friends with a senior in the Metallurgical Eng program who had great internships and excellent employment prospects (a sample size of n=1, granted…).

@nerdyparent Do you know who the internships were with? Who are the employment prospects with? I am interested as I know many of the companies that hire Met E graduates.

Again, Met E is a good base for ant engineering. Especially ME. My biggest disappointment has always been how little ME graduates know about material properties as and how they affect performance, formability, welding, heat treatability, etc.

MEs use materials in their designs and type of material, grade are important to get to lowest cost/functional design.

BTW, Happy Thanksgiving to all!!!

I’ll pm you…