U of Arizona vs U of Illinois?

Hi all,

I realize this may be somewhat biased posting in this forum, but I have narrowed down my college choices from Butler, Marquette, Nebraska, USC (in LA), BC, and Northwestern (last 3 aren’t released till April-ish) to Arizona and UIUC.

Finances are huge in my college decision, and I have received $30,000 from Arizona and $11,000 from Illinois (plus, in state). I’ve lived in the Chicagoland area my whole life, and was hoping to hear some thoughts from similar attendees who have hated/loved the idea of staying local vs going away? Also, while I was rejected from the BHP at UIUC, I am a James scholar (the lesser of the two honors programs on campus :confused: Chancellor’s is highest) and was invited to apply to ELITE (an Arizona program) and am applying to the Arizona honors college.

Academically, I’ve assumed that Arizona would be less rigorous in general. I’ve received direct admission to both the Gies College of Business and the Eller College of Management and intend to pursue either an Accounting or Actuarial Science degree, although my long term plans involve hopefully becoming a CPA. Also, there is the general issue of internships and I wasn’t sure whether there would be a vast difference in opportunities between Tucson and Urbana/Champaign or the Chicago area.

Has anyone else been in the same situation choosing between the two? I’m not huge on partying and intend on taking academics seriously (definitely not rushing), yet simultaneously don’t want to get incredibly dragged down by my academic life. I realize this is pretty general, but just thought I’d ask since I’m sure there’s others who have good tips on how to compare the two.

(On a side note, I’m also a Christian, and wasn’t sure about the difference in the general atmosphere for religion at these schools. Also, I’ve done orchestra in high school as a string musician, and would like to continue that as a hobby in college, so if anyone has any experience with these particulars, I’d love to hear about it!)

Thanks!

In terms of finances, add up your costs, not your discounts. For going out of state, don’t forget travel. Arizona will freeze your tuition for four years, but for UIUC add tuition increases to your estimate. Both schools will have lists of student organizations available on their websites.

My guess is that there will be more internships available in Chicago than Tuscon. Chicago is a much bigger metropolitan area. Do you want to live in the midwest or the west after graduation?

If you want to become a CPA, you will need 5 years of college credits (for most states CPA licensing requirements) rather than the traditional 4 years. This is important as 5 years of tuition is obviously a substantial increase in expenditures.

Because you are going to spend 5 years in college, consider the school that will better enable you to double major (think finance or economics) or earn a masters as well as a bachelors during that timeframe.

Internship opportunities should be much better in Chicago than in Tucson.

Also, make sure that all of the Big Four accounting firms recruit on campus.(Deloitte, PwC, KPMG & EY)

Interested in computer science ? If so, that could be a very valuable second major for consulting work.

UIUC also freezes tuition. My daughter is very happy at UIUC and she is glad that she chose it over her instate university. We live in the midwest and the transition for her was very smooth. The academics are demanding. However, there is plenty of support and she has not found the students to be cut throat.

I can understand that some students may want to go out of state for the opportunity to live and study in a different place than their home state. I think it’s wise that you’ve considered this. She says most students have branched out beyond their high school friends from Chicagoland but there is definitely a feeling of connection (both good and bad) among those students. It has not been a detriment to be an out of state student for her. There are plenty of activities on campus at Illinois. Some students really enjoy greek life. However, it is only a small percentage that pledge frats and sororities.

She looked at state schools and private schools in and out of the region and in the end she decided Illinois’ academic programs, and the friendliness of the students and proximately to home was the best pick. We live about 4 hours from campus.

We have vacationed in Arizona and Tucson (and visited a friend of hers there) but she did not apply to any AZ schools.

About internships, my daughter landed an internship after her soph and juniors years from the career fair on campus. It was an effort on her part because it required some followup. The interview process for both involved more than simply filling out forms and a phone interview. One job was out east and the other in the midwest! Companies mostly hire regionally but some national ones will place students anyplace in the country.

Hope this helps. Feel free to ask more questions.

OP: Can you pursue both accounting & actuarial science degrees at the University of Arizona since you will most likely be a 5 year student ?

Direct admission to a business school is a big plus.

Thank you so much to everyone who took the time to read and answer my question, I highly appreciate the feedback! I’ve always lived in the midwest, and I realize that the location of a college can majorly impact potential internships and future job locations, but as of now I think I’d be open to living pretty much anywhere across the country, provided it’s in a suburban/urban area (which I would assume would be where all accounting-type jobs are located). AroundHere, I wasn’t aware Arizona froze tuition, although I believe mybstnw is correct about tuition locks at UIUC as I think they mentioned it when I visited?

I have considered double majoring, and would like to do actuarial science and accounting, although I have considered finance (or maybe music). I wasn’t aware that computer science went so well with consulting, so thank you for mentioning that Publisher! The 5 year plan is definitely something to consider as well, I’ve heard from UIUC that some students can double major in that time although I’ll definitely check with Arizona on double majoring.

Thank you again for your comments everyone!

You received excellent replies to your thoughtful questions, but I’d like to add another perspective as someone who grew up in the Midwest and then went to college in the West.

I sensed in your original post an eagerness to go to Tucson in part to explore another part of the country. If that’s true, you should go for it. I found going West to be quite an adjustment, but a huge positive and we’ve been out here ever since.

@ninanelso: My son attended the University of AZ on a generous scholarship a few years ago (the only reason—he wanted to go elsewhere). The campus is immaculate, not too large, and the administration is great. However, he found out that the social life sucks big time. The majority of the students are from AZ and not excited to be there, it’s just their state school so they choose it. He lived in Highland Dorms and everyone was antisocial, doors closed. Students knew people from high school so they didn’t care about making new friends. He went to a dorm event and everyone took the pizza and left, didn’t even stay to socialize! Tucson is a very boring town so people vape and smoke, and drink for entertainment because there is nothing else to do. Perhaps the heat has led people to grow up complacent and they get used to a boring level of life. He tried going Greek and was accepted but quit because all they cared about was partying, not decent conversation. My son is handsome but the sorority girls would only acknowledge Greeks. There is only one cafeteria near the party dorm, across campus, so most of the students eat at the food court, EVERY DAY (there is a small dining hall at the stadium too). Junky food at the Food Court and no bonding because you don’t see the same people all the time. (There’s also 40,000 students so you don’t see a lot of the same people on campus often for bonding). Fortunately, there is good off-campus food within walking distance. He had two roommates (one each semester) and both left UA after one semester due to lack of friendships. Since it is a state college, there are a lot of people who work too, so they don’t have time to hangout (nor money). My son tried another year (mistake) but there was no improvement and he was lonely so transferred to his dream school and is now having an absolute blast with people who want to do things and have fun and are happy and on the same wavelength (because the GPA requirement is higher). He had some friends in the Honors College (and could have been in the Honors College but declined) and they were more interesting and their dorm was a bit more active, but they were still a lot of Arizonans. My daughter visited UA with us and didn’t like the people either. Sending my son there was my biggest regret but his dad wanted him to go there because he thought the dept. was well-ranked. Thank God, my son is happy in college now.

Re what you said about being “dragged down by academics”, yes, it’s probably easier academically since the GPA requirement is lower, but you might not be on the same wavelength as the other students unless you do the Honors program, but that is more work and overrated (employers don’t care, they still see the college name).

My daughter was accepted as a James Scholar at UIUC and we visited. The James Scholar Award allows priority registration and a new dorm (both very important! Some of the dorms are bad). We ate in the dining hall and the food was excellent and healthy. The dining hall was new and nice. It’s a big campus though and there are shuttles with heaters at the shuttle stops. The students here seemed more intelligent than the UA students, as UIUC has higher GPA requirements for admission. I think my son would have enjoyed the students here more, had he gotten accepted. My daughter chose a college in CA instead, although UIUC was her second choice. The 11-hour round trip day from CA to UIUC and the weather were both factors.

Nina, I encourage you to visit college campuses during the academic school year and feel the vibe of the school and students. You can do this at Spring Break. Talk to the profs in the dept., see if you can talk with students in the dept. or shadow. Being happy on campus is so important—you have to be with people you enjoy. I have lived in several different states and can tell you that learning a different subculture is overrated. You will probably most enjoy it in the region where you grew up (unless you have a passion for somewhere like NYC or somewhere else that really excites you). If you are accepted into NW, that would be a good choice. USC is in a very dangerous area and is so huge now, only a few thousand less students than UCLA, no longer a nice, private college. BC is very Catholic and homogenous; people stay in and party during the winter. Best wishes.

Thank you JandyA,
Sorry that I’m only just seeing your comment! I actually just found out a few minutes ago that I was rejected from Northwestern, so I will likely be going to UIUC. I hadn’t realized that Arizona had so many in-state students and I definitely want to make some good friends in college, so I probably won’t go there. I appreciate your insight however, I never would have guessed that the students would be so antisocial.
Thank you again for your help!

Congratulations on Gies! If you apply yourself and seriously seek out the opportunities at UIUC, you will probably not only love your time at U of I, but also have a great outcome post-graduation. I have a daughter who graduated last year and a son who is a current junior.

Job placement in the Chicago area is very good. If you have any questions feel free to ask. I’ll help if I can. My strongest recommendation is to plan on a strong start. BHP is nice, but you’ll learn it isn’t necessary for a good college experience at Gies. Congrats again and good luck!

Thank you 88jm19!

@ninanelso : Great to hear that you have chosen UIUC! We were very impressed with the administration and her department was so caring, like a small, private school! I have heard that UIUC does that—doesn’t seem like a huge public college that doesn’t care. They sent her a UIUC selfie stick, which was the coolest gift she received from any college! It’s more proof that they really care about their students. And the networking will be wonderful for you too. Congrats! Thank you for your appreciation—glad to be of help.