U of M vs. UW-Madison (Business)

I need help making a VERY difficult decision. I have been accepted to both the University of Minnesota-Twin Cities (Carlson School of Management) and the University of Wisconsin-Madison. Having toured both schools already, I am torn between the two of them! I like the thought of being at the U of M since I am already in the business school and Carlson is highly respected. While I really liked the campus, atmosphere, and tremendous school spirit at UW-Madison. The business school at UW-Madison is also highly regarded but the idea of possibly not being accepted to the business school makes me nervous. The U of M is also significantly closer to me (1 hour drive) compared to UW-Madison (4 1/2 hour drive). I think I most likely want to live in either Chicago or the Twin Cities… But would also like the opportunity to intern out I the East Coast for a summer or year beforehand. Any advice or comments would be greatly appreciated!!

Whichever school you choose do not look back or second guess it. It may come to the flip of a coin. It looks like you have a good future ahead of you regardless of which option you choose.

@wis75 Thank you for your feedback! Is there anything else I should be considering in my decision that I haven’t mentioned above?

I’d go with the bird in the hand if you have the Carlson acceptance.

However- if you have top academic credentials (gpa and test scores) you are likely to get into the UW business school as well. Before tossing that coin make lists of required, recommended and available courses pertinent to your probable major. Add in where recruiting is done. See if one school seems to offer more for you. Then if they still seem about the same do a coin flip or opt for the less travel and costs.

That’s what I had been thinking… I just don’t want to regret my decision after the fact. Is there anything truly major I would losing by choosing Carlson over Madison?

I was waitlisted to Carlson but I was accepted into the College of Liberal Arts at the U, From what I have heard is that the resources that you will have being in Minneapolis in contrast to Madison gives an advantage to Carlson.

Zieiske – DA to UW Bus Sch is very competitive. Only about 15% get in as freshman. Don’t know how they decided but I believe the two essays weigh heavily. I was top in class, almost perfect ACT, leadership ECs, 3 sport varsity, and was denied. DA to UM Carlson and UI Kelly. Have not made decision yet.

Both great schools. I would advise my kids to go with UM and the direct admit to Carlson, especially since you feel both schools are good fits for you. Best of luck to you.