U of M

<p>Well I recently discovered that I love UM. I also love UCSB, and since I am a California resident I would need good scholarships and grants to consider choosing UM over UCSB.</p>

<p>So my question is when is the best time to apply if I'm hoping for an academic scholarship?</p>

<p>Early Decision?
Early Action?
Regular Decision?</p>

<p>I remember when my son and I visited they said early decision applicants had the best chance of getting scholarships. My son applied quite late in the game, it was the last school he applied to (he applied in january) and he ended up getting a 1/2 tuition scholarship. I recommend you call the admissions office and speak to someone there. UM has been very helpful whenever I have called. Good luck.</p>

<p>Our admissions rep encouraged my S to apply EA for the best opportunities. UM gives out alot of $ in all rounds so you don't need to make the ED committment unless it is your clearcut 1st choice and you will attend regardless of your award. Good luck.</p>

<p>Apply EA, my son did and got in with a 3/4 scholarship. Make sure that your SAT I is above 1400 for math & Verbal and you are in the top 8% or so of your class and you will be in the running for the same scholarship. That would bring your total cost down to around UCSB. Miami I think would have a better rep (and its rising) in the working woeld (UCSB is known pretty much as a party school) although they do have decent academics also. Weather is slightly better in SB (basically no humidity) although I think the overall year round factor favors Miami. A LOT more to do in Miami than SB although LA is only a short 2 hour drive from SB. A LOT more internship opportunities and job opps. in Miami too.</p>

<p>Also see my reply in your other post on the college life section.</p>

<p>Thanks for the info I think I'm going to apply EA too. I'm hoping for a 3/4 scholarship or atleast a 1/2 scholarship.
Also I know they give out a lot of scholarships, but how are they with grant money?</p>