U of San Francisco or Seattle U

<p>Equal financial aid. D loved both cities. SU seemed to have more on campus activities, and dorms were exceptionally nice. Both cities have excellent public transportation and lots of opportunities. USF has higher ranked nursing program and students begin some nursing studies freshman year. Anyone have any experience with either school's program? Pros and cons are very much appreciated. She loved both schools when she visited and is looking for some input to help break the tie.</p>

<p>I vote Seattle, but mostly because it’s a Jesuit school and Jesuit education is tops!</p>

<p>USF is Jesuit also, though. So now which one?</p>

<p>I worked with a nurse who went to school at USF and felt she had a good education. I went to school at SFSU and we did rotations all over the city. Excellent experiences. It really gets down to where does she want to live when she graduates.</p>

<p>Thanks, Lakemom. I hope USF does a similar variety of rotations. I don’t think my D knows where she wants to live long term yet. We are from Colorado so it’s possible she will practice here. Then again, I think San Francisco trumps Boulder pretty easlily!</p>

<p>Is the local reputation of USF positive? Nursing school well respected? Thank you again for your input. Yesterday was a Seattle leaning day for D, today was USF. Any info is great!</p>

<p>I went to Nursing school 30 years ago so I can’t say how it is now. I can’t imagine USF isn’t well respected. I don’t know anything about Seattle to compare but they both are popular cities so I imagine she can’t go wrong with either.</p>

<p>Thanks, Lakemom. I have been able to communicate via email with a graduating nursing student at USF. She has been extremely positive about all aspects of her experience in both the school and in the program. Her last semester has been at the neonatal unit at the Children’s Hospital at Stanford. She feels USF has prepared her very well. </p>

<p>Now if I could just talk to a Seattle U graduating nursing student!</p>

<p>Momof3D, my peds rotation was also at Stanford which is a stellar place to work. That is where I got my first job, on a Med surg floor and the USF nurse I worked with also worked there. I don’t think your daughter could go wrong being at S.F. There must be a way to find someone up in Seattle to give you similar feedback. I wish your daughter the best!. Nursing is a tough field but it is never boring and the width of opportunities to use a nursing license is very broad. My advice is after she graduates to work at least a couple of years in Med surg to get a strong base for anything else she wishes to do.</p>

<p>Thanks for the great advice! I wish we could find a nursing student at Seattle U, but seeing as tomorrow is the deadline, it is not likely. Do you think in the long run it really matters which school? This is driving both my daughter and me a little crazy and in the end as long as she is happy where she is, I’m hoping the nursing education will be at least in the same ballpark at both schools. Also thank you for the advice to start in med surg after graduation.</p>

<p>I think she would do fine in either place. I have been to Seattle once and it reminds me of a Pacific Northwest San Francisco. I think looking into some other issues might help sway her one way or another, which is why I asked where she thought she might live. I know it rains a lot in Seattle and is more cloudy. S.F. weather is funny. The half on the ocean side gets alot of fog, the side on the bay can be bright and sunny at the same time. Down on the Pennisula, by Stanford, the weather is much nicer and more consistent. I was a skier, it was 4 hours to Tahoe. </p>

<p>Maybe going online and pretending you are traveling to each place and look up all that she might do there when she wasn’t in school and which place seems more fun or exciting. </p>

<p>In the end, I think she will easily adjust to either choice as they are both great places to live. She will likely take a review course before she takes her boards and I can’t imagine each program won’t focus on the basic nursing lessons that everyone learns. Good luck! Let me know where she goes.;)</p>

<p>Hi Lakemom, I left for work this morning thinking she was going to Seattle U. My husband said they got to the post office, she started falling apart and they talked for a long time. They ended up coming home again, redoing the paperwork and the check, and she is going to USF. Gosh, that is one of the few times I’m glad I was at work instead of at home. Somehow it’s all settled, she is happy and off to prom tonight!</p>

<p>You have been so nice helping us out with advice and encouragement. We really have appreciated it.</p>

<p>Hi momof3D. I’m sure your daughter isn’t the only student who at the last minute changed her mind. I’m sure you were glad that that final swap occured while you were at work but that is so great she has the relationship with your husband to have made that change with him. Living and going to school in S.F. will be a fun experience and if she gets the chance to do one of her rotation at Stanford, she should definitely do it. You can always email me if you have any other questions. Good luck to her!</p>

<p>Hello Momof3D… please keep us posted on the USF Nursing experience. We love this school. Visiting this week on guided tour.
Sincerely, parents of a Fall 2013 girl.</p>

<p>I would be happy to give you updates. Don’t hesitate to contact me any time.</p>

<p>Good luck to her momof3D. Hope she has a great year!</p>

<p>Thanks, Lakemom! Good to hear from you again. You were so nice during our decision making drama. She has not looked back since she decided on USF.</p>