U of wisconsin engineering vs u of maryland engineering

<p>how to decide?</p>

<p>i am in the same situation as you except I am also deciding between Univeristy of ILlinois as well…pros cons!!!</p>

<p>What type of engineering?</p>

<p>chemical for me…</p>

<p>Well, it changes some though usually not a lot and take all rankings with a grain of salt but last year UW was top 5 in Chem E. Illinois is very good, I think of the 3, Maryland overall ranks lower in engineering, but the specialty matters.</p>

<p>what do rankings actually mean though? of course mit and stanford deserve to be ranked very high, but how different could wisco, illinois, and maryland be for engineering, chemical specifically?</p>

<p>I know at Illinois you are admitted directly into the engineering school whereas at Wisconsin you have to apply to the engineering school after your freshman year and you are not guaranteed a spot. It depends on demands for openings in your major. That is something to consider…</p>

<p>however, don’t know a speciatly yet. does anyone know how many students are admitted to wisc and maryland undergraduate engineering programs as freshman and what the rankings are?</p>

<p>Undergrad chemical engineering rankings:</p>

<p>[Chemical</a> Rankings US News](<a href=“http://colleges.usnews.rankingsandreviews.com/best-colleges/rankings/engineering-doctorate-chemical]Chemical”>http://colleges.usnews.rankingsandreviews.com/best-colleges/rankings/engineering-doctorate-chemical)</p>

<p>Im pretty sure I got into the engineering school at wisconsin, even my letter said college of engineering</p>

<p>You, like all entering freshmen, were admitted to the university as a whole, not a specific school/college. The designation reflects your choice of major which counts when assigning your SOAR advisor. All students are free to change their major, and many/most will- don’t worry about it. You need to meet the preengineering requirements as a UW student to actually be in the College of Engineering. Likewise you need to meet requirements (required UW gpa in the major courses varies by major) to be admitted to every major and some are competitive, including some engineering majors. Details can be found in the UW departmental website info.</p>

<p>btw- UW is ranked very highly in Chem E- tied for #5 while Illinois is #7 per the US News link above. Chemistry is also a highly ranked major. Remember to take rankings with a grain (big one) of salt- The top 10 or 20 will be much better than those near the 50th ranking, but schools within several rankings are likely close. Also- the total educational experience counts- overall academics and feel of the campus.</p>

<p>The decision of which school to attend depends on how you feel about the campus, not just your proposed major. Look at the courses required for the major at schools you are debating between, as well as overall courses required. Consider location- distance from home, campus setting, overall climate/geography. Cost is another factor- it is usually not worth straining the family budget or taking out loans to attend a school when a cheaper school compares favorably. No matter where you end up you are likely to have a good college experience. Make your choice and don’t look back- have no regrets.</p>

<p>hartown-take a better look and do some more research. You are definitely NOT admitted in the college of engineering yet at Wisconsin. You have to apply again after freshman year…check it out. Don’t let the letterhead fool you.</p>

<p>Go to the website or call admission to be sure. It is something you should know before making a decision. If you are cool with that they go for it but just be informed!</p>