U Penn [$89k->$20k(GI)] vs Bowdoin [$80k->$0(GI)] vs GWU [$86k->$30k(merit)] vs W and L (Johnson scholar) [$83k->$4k(merit)] vs Oberlin [$82k->?] vs UNC (honors College) [$57k->$20k(merit)] [family GI Bill money or merit]

Looks like GI Bill money for college amounts are described at Post-9/11 GI Bill (Chapter 33) Rates | Veterans Affairs

Apologies if youā€™ve already answered this question: how much does the GI Bill cover?

If a career in state politics is the goal, then it doesnā€™t really matter which college he chooses as long as he gets involved in local politics. Entry into the field requires grit and long hours for low pay. My C14 is a director at a think tank now, but before that she paid her dues volunteering for low or no pay. Working on the canvassing/phone bank team, as a legislative aide, or serving on a local board are all good starts. His previous internship experience will certainly help.

Of the colleges on your shortlist, Iā€™d probably choose W&L because of the Johnson scholarship. A full ride plus all the other benefits would be difficult to pass up.

1 Like

yes we are

It varies by school from free to a little more than room and board to $20,000. (GI Bill)

2 Likes

I have 2 kids in college and we also have family GI Bill. Our approach was to use the GI Bill where it gets the most benefit. My oldest is at a state flagship with a scholarship so my youngest was free to choose any private college that had full Yellow Ribbon. Sheā€™s at Bryn Mawr with all costs covered. Do you have other children that could use the GI Bill if this one doesnā€™t need it?

I wound have the same hesitation as someone else mentioned about W&L. Iā€™m biased towards Hamilton because we live just off campus, feel free to contact me if you want any info about the area, we are a recently retired AF family.

W&L for free beats Bowdoin and every other college but Penn, but Penn should only be picked if the kid wants that city feel. It is a much different setting than the others. If he wants LAC feel, go to W&L and donā€™t look back. If he wants bigger/city, pick Penn and donā€™t look back.

9 Likes

While I agree, the previous poster noted this and there are some kids/families out there that would not attend W&L for reasons related to the naming of the school - and thatā€™s totally fair. For some, itā€™s not just about the $$ or quality of education and itā€™s totally understandable as well.

3 Likes

I think OP must be the only applicant who applied to both Oberlin and W&L. It sounds like perhaps neither is right for him but he has other choices and that will open up the scholarship to another deserving candidate

2 Likes

Yes, I would be concerned that the name change reluctance speaks to a deeper cultural disconnect that would be problematic for many (my family included), especially someone interested in politics. If this issue is of interest to anyone, check out the writing and speaking of Ty Seidule, he is a W&L grad, retired Army officer and West Point department head, and now professor at Hamilton College.

3 Likes

Absolutely reasonable if thatā€™s the only financially suitable option and it suits the personal sensibilities. In this case, many other viable options seem to be in play.

1 Like

Iā€™d choose Penn if it is affordable - meaning the family and/or student will not be burdened with significant loans as a result of attending. Given that the OP said the GI Bill will cover about $20k per year that means the family/student will be responsible for about $70k. If that is doable, Iā€™d choose Penn. Otherwise, Iā€™d give strong consideration to W&L - it would be hard (for me) to pass on a free education to attend a school at full price that is similar (meaning a LAC - not saying similar in vibe/location/history etc).

1 Like

Oh, I donā€™t think it would impact job prospects at all - but there was a discussion the other day and for many, going there because of who the name still reflects, represents is a big no no.

So itā€™s personal and rightfully so - but W&L people do very well career wise in government and beyond. That would not be the reason not to attend.

1 Like

The GI Bill covered up to $26,381 of tuition/yr for what is essentially 4 years of school. It also provides a monthly stipend for room/board expenses based on the zip code of the school and $1,000/yr for books. Many private schools participate in the ā€œYellow Ribbonā€ program which splits some or all of the differences over the maximum with the VA. My daughter attends a $70K+ year school with her dadā€™s transferred benefits and we do not pay out of pocket. Some schools offer only a portion of the difference leaving a balance to the student. The transfer of this benefit to a dependent is earned by the military member with an additional service commitment.

2 Likes

For those with preconceived ideas about W&L, and without current information I highly recommend listening to this podcast. Itā€™s an interview with the Director of the Delaney Center on Race Relations. The first half introduces him, the second talks about the Center and some of what itā€™s doing.

2 Likes

It may help others help the OP if the OP listed the net price of each school after applying any applicable family GI Bill money, along with how much the price difference makes to them.

1 Like

sorry I meant it covered all but 20K

So Bowdoin is 0 with GI, Penn $20K with GI, W&L 0, GW$30 with merit, UNC 20k merit

would love to know why you think this? both great small LAC

2 Likes

Are scholarships redistributed at this point?