U.S. News College Rankings are out

<p>University of Alabama is tied at #77.
[National</a> University Rankings | Top National Universities | US News Best Colleges](<a href=“http://colleges.usnews.rankingsandreviews.com/best-colleges/rankings/national-universities/spp+50]National”>http://colleges.usnews.rankingsandreviews.com/best-colleges/rankings/national-universities/spp+50)
Roll Tide!!</p>

<p>Well, that’s down from the tie last year at #75. What’s up with that?</p>

<p>Not sure, I don’t have the full paid membership to USNWR to look at all the statistics. I would think that the things that would bring UA down would be the 6 year graduation rate, and the counselor/peer ratings. That is all I can think.</p>

<p>There are a number of other schools that moved around in the top 25-100 too. </p>

<p>UA is tied with Baylor, American University, Colorado school of Mines, and UCSC. Not a shabby group of schools to be tied with, IMO.</p>

<p>Thanks for finding last year’s ranking. Don’t know why I couldn’t find it. It is a little disappointing that UA didn’t move up a point or two. I really thought they would but I am very happy that the U stayed near last year’s ranking. It shows that UA is here to stay in the top 100, or top 77 as it were. UA does have very good company, Vlines!
Roll Tide!!</p>

<p>Seems like a bunch of ties affected the final ranking. </p>

<p>Bama is still tied with a bunch of the same schools that it was last year, so it doesn’t look like the school itself “fell”.</p>

<p>Tied with:</p>

<p>American Univ
Baylor
Colorado School of Mines
SUNY - Science and Forestry
UC Santa Cruz</p>

<p>Bama is still ahead of:</p>

<p>SUNY Bing
Indiana Univ
Drexel
Marquette
and many others.</p>

<p>Looks like MSU has forged ahead, and MiamiU has fallen behind. In recent rankings, Bama was tied with those schools.</p>

<p>I can see Bama jumping to MSU’s level very soon. </p>

<p>and, of course, Auburn.</p>

<p>I want UA to pass Clemson. And it should.</p>

<p>UA is already ranked higher than Auburn, or did I misunderstand your post?</p>

<p>Yes, UA is still ranked above AU. UA is tied with other schools at #77, while AU is tied with other schools at #89. The ties make them seem farther apart than they really are. There are several schools tied at #83 in between UA and AU.</p>

<p>When I look at the criteria used by U.S. Snooze to make these rankings, I have to chuckle. Here’s one criterion they use, weighted 22.5% in their magic formula:</p>

<p>"Undergraduate academic reputation (22.5 percent for National Universities and National Liberal Arts Colleges; 25 percent for Regional Universities and Regional Colleges): The U.S. News ranking formula gives significant weight to the opinions of those in a position to judge a school’s undergraduate academic excellence. The academic peer assessment survey allows top academics—presidents, provosts, and deans of admissions—to account for intangibles at peer institutions such as faculty dedication to teaching.*</p>

<p>For their views on the National Universities and the National Liberal Arts Colleges, we also surveyed a sampling of 2,213 counselors at public high schools, each of which is a gold, silver, or bronze medal winner in the most recent U.S. News rankings of Best High Schools, and 400 college counselors at the largest independent schools; the counselors represent nearly every state and the District of Columbia."</p>

<p>So these guys actually believe that presidents and provosts can accurately assess factors such as faculty dedication to teaching at other universities. Or that college counselors at the largest independent schools have valid evaluations. Let me tell you that my son attended the largest independent school in the nation, one of the most prestigious private schools in the land, and the large college counselor staff was absolutely clueless about UA until they saw the light last year following a visit that I more or less harassed them into making. Now they are raving fans.</p>

<p>As the ranking process states, significant weight is given to reputations and opinions. Calling it “data” does not make it valid. Garbage in, garbage out. </p>

<p>I’m certain Mark Twain turns over in his grave every time these rankings are released.</p>

<p>Roll Tide!</p>

<p>And for what it’s worth, The UA is ranked about the same as last year as far as Top Public Universities with a tie for #32. I think they may have tied last year for #31 if I recall correctly.</p>

<p>hehehe… good post, malanai! :)</p>

<p>So true, Malanai. I know my D’s high school is a medal winner in the USNWR Best High Schools, and their guidance staff knows NOTHING about UA beyond its football team. D’s guidance counselor actually tried to discourage her from applying to UA - fortunately she ignored him. On the other hand, my BIL, who is a professor of anthropology at a higher ranked university, had only excellent things to say about the UA anthro department, with which he was actually familiar. </p>

<p>I’m always happy to hear the opinion of someone with actual knowledge, whether that opinion is good or bad. However, the USNWR criteria have always seemed flawed to me (most of the college ranking criteria seem flawed to me) and I think they cause more harm than good because of the steps schools take to improve in the ratings, many of which don’t improve the quality of the school at all.</p>

<p>Malanai and Beth’s mom, that is exactly why I thought that part of the ranking may keep UA from making big jumps in the rankings. It is also why a number of other schools remain in the top 30. It is their reputation.</p>

<p>I was interested to see enrollment is noted about 26,000 and some change.</p>

<p>I thought UA was in the 30,000.</p>

<p>Beth’sMom…same thing here.</p>

<p>DD’s GC actually wanted her to apply to American University over 'BAMA, even though we pointed out 'BAMA’s top rating by PRWeek for the undergrad program…she was very aware of AMerican’s great reputation…and not so of Alabama’s.</p>

<p>Not to mention the HUGE difference in Merit-based scholarships…</p>

<p>Goes to show that educating yourself is the most reliable thing you can do.</p>

<p>I think the 26,000 number is undergraduates. Then add graduate students and you get up over 30,000.</p>

<p>As a student, I’m rather disappointed. Unfortunately reputation makes up a lot of people’s decisions. UA needs to be more aggressive in reputation improvement. Get those ACT scores up, and decrease that graduation rate. We need at least a 26 or 27 average ACT, I believe it is currently only 25. I was almost certain we would have climbed at least into the 60’s range. Sighhhh. There has been too much dead time between the changing of guards (referring to president). I feel like a lot of lost ground needs to be made up. Hopefully Dr. Bailey will do the job.</p>

<p>Thanks, Beth’s MOM.</p>

<p>if you go to UA’s oira site, you will see that last fall’s mean ACT was 25.6, not 25. The median is 26. But I agree that UA needs to become even more selective. On the other hand, it accepted only 43.5 % of applicants last Fall.</p>

<p>Anyone can apply.</p>

<p>My DD’s school encourages kids to apply to LOTS of colleges so that that the high school’s stats for “acceptances” will be HIGH.</p>

<p>These kids never intended to attend. DD will be the first (I think).</p>

<p>Some kids apply to Ivies with no intention of attending…just want bragging rights that they were accepted.</p>

<p>Some kids will apply to flagships “knowing” they won’t be accepted…</p>

<p>I really don’t know why this statistic is cited so often…it has little true meaning.</p>

<p>I apologize for my last post. After I posted it, I thought it seemed a bit hateful. I didn’t intend it to be demeaning in any way. I just have so much passion for the school, I get a little frustrated sometimes. It truly is an amazing and revolutionary academic establishment. When I walk through campus every day, there is a sense of excellence that embodies the entire campus. I think to myself, if only everyone knew what was going on down in Tuscaloosa, AL. It’s such a special feeling, you can sense it in the air. Great things are on there way for the University of Alabama! Roll Tide!</p>

<p>dallasb, no worries. I think we all expected a jump in the rankings due to several reasons (decreased percentage admitted, increased test scores, NMFs, etc). Perhaps this gives credence to the posts in other threads that some of those items don’t weigh as heavily as they previously did. </p>

<p>A higher ranking would be nice, but it doesn’t change the reality of how great the school is. I’m sure there are many students who would have chosen a different school if rankings were the most important thing. To be honest, I’m pretty sure UA is the lowest ranked of all the schools my D applied to. Like many others, she could have attended a higher ranked school if she chose. But she can’t see herself anywhere else. And neither can we. </p>

<p>Roll tide!</p>