U. Virginia Class of 2027 Official Thread

This is the official discussion thread for U. Virginia Class of 2027 RD applicants. Ask your questions and connect with fellow applicants.

RD Application Deadline is: January 5

1 Like

RD decisions on Friday, March 17

2 Likes

@cltrising, where did they announce? Thanks!

It’s posted on the notes from peabody blog

#UVA Regular Decision Update

I know why you clicked, so here it is:

Regular Decision results will be posted

Friday, March 17, 2023

This is official. No need to call to confirm!

What time will decisions show up?

The decisions get posted all at once in around 5 PM. There’s a technical team that runs through several processes to prepare for the release and load the decisions. I can’t predict the exact moment when they will finish their work.

12 Likes

Any sense of how many they traditionally accept RD round? My daughter was deferred from early action and absolutely loves this school. We had to cancel our official tour last summer since she got COVID and never communicated that was why we cancelled. She has been at the school on her own and has a great sense through the on line tours. Just never realized how important yield and demonstrated interest were. She us our oldest. Really worried it is going to be a no for her. Guess we will know soon enough.

1 Like

According to Dean J, they do not use demonstrated interest at all so don’t worry about missing a tour. Good luck to your daughter!

5 Likes

You can see decades of data for each round on the admission blog. Statistics post from the RD release in …

2022: Notes from Peabody: The UVA Application Process: 2022 #UVA Regular Decision Admission Statistics
2021: Notes from Peabody: The UVA Application Process: Regular Decision Admission Statistics #UVA25
2020: Notes from Peabody: The UVA Application Process: Unofficial #UVA 2020 Regular Decision Statistics

As shared already, we don’t use interest, so no worries about missing that session! You can read more about that in the demonstrated interest section here and FAQs.

4 Likes

My daughter is OOS/ College of Arts & Sciences and was waitlisted last night. Do you have any stats on how many OOS A&S applicants were put on the waitlist and how many typically come off it?

The data is linked up there and on the admission blog. Some years less than 10 people come off the entire waitlist. 2020 is an outlier for most schools as that was Covid and many schools went deep into their wait list.

I saw those statistics, but was trying to dig into out-of-state/ arts and sciences to get a better handle

D23 was admitted last night after being deferred in EA- we are OOS and so excited for her.

5 Likes

My daughter is legacy/OOS and just a great student. However was rejected in RD after being deferred which we pretty much knew would happen. It was painful but now the sting is gone after being accepted into Northwestern and William and Mary!

3 Likes

Congratulations on those acceptances! My daughter was deferred then waitlisted at UVA and now waitlisted at W&M. It’s so disappointing.

1 Like

Same here. My daughter waitlisted every school she applied except for one, her very last choice and now not even sure she wants to go there. Put a deposit down but hoping to get off of a waitlist at UVA. She was devastated when first deferred then waitlisted. I won’t quote all of her stats and extracurriculars, but she checked all the boxes. Not sure what was missing to get waitlisted. Wish there were explanations.
Holding out a little hope. Good luck to your daughter too!

Odds of getting off the waitlist for a psychology major? I want to be hopeful, but don’t have a good feeling.

We are in the same boat. Rejected or waitlisted at every school she wanted to go to and accepted at one she doesn’t want to go to. With just 1 week left she’s having major anxiety over what to do. She knows she has to commit to that school but doesn’t want to go there. I hope the UVA waitlist starts to move soon and I pray she gets off it.

1 Like

Look at Dean J‘s blog. She has posted the number of kids that get off the waitlist every year for the last decade or so. With the exception of 2020, which was Covid/gap year, it is typically very few. Sometimes less than 10 students. I would strongly encourage you to get excited about where you have committed or will commit, buy some swag, schedule orientation, etc.

If you get off a wait list, you can pivot then.

3 Likes

Well aware the odds are super slim.

We’ve already put the deposit down just to reserve her spot at her only choice and put the deposit down on the dorm so she has a place to live. But she’s not thrilled about this at all. Looking at community college and maybe a transfer. But that is such a let down when you’re top of your class and have a 4.4 GPA with a ton of leadership experiences. Like I said, holding out a small hope that the stars align.

2 Likes

Are you in state? Are they still doing the UVA Wise transfer option? That always seemed like a great choice for in-state people. Year in Wise | UVA Wise

And UVA out of state is a high reach for everyone regardless of stats. We had a waitlisted kid a couple of years ago and he did not get excited about where he had committed till the middle of the summer when the waitlists closed. He is very happily attending UGA and can’t imagine him anywhere else!

2 Likes