U Wisc Madison vs. U Wash Seattle vs. UCSD vs. IU Bloomington

<p>Hi! I'm an international student and got accepted to:</p>

<ol>
<li><p>University of Wisconsin, Madison (Pre)Major: Business
I recently found out it's known for being a party school. Is it that bad? I don't think I'm TOO into parties.</p></li>
<li><p>University of Washington, Seattle (Pre)Major: Business
I would SO choose this school, IF I hear anything positive about the weather! I like summer! - which is why i applied to UCSD</p></li>
<li><p>University of California, San Diego Major: Communication/ ERC
It was, I think the hardest school to get into, so it just seems like a waste. Are people really "Socially Dead" cuz I'm active 24 7 for sure.</p></li>
<li><p>Indiana University, Bloomington (Pre)Major: Business
The campus is obviously the best... and their business is good, but their Overall Rank is not as good as others.</p></li>
</ol>

<p>I'm SO happy to be accepted to all the schools I applied to, but now I just can't decide which is the best option for me. (hundred different rankings are not helping)
I seriously need help from people who REALLY know the university or location... etc</p>

<p>So far, Wisconsin seems to be the best choice. Would you agree?
But I mean, Washington, UCSD,and IU Bloomington are also great schools! SOS!</p>

<p>How's the school, campus, academics, faculty, people(atmosphere), housing(facilities)????? </p>

<p>Anything Positive / Negative about any of the schools???
Do post EVERY bit of info you know cuz I am a TOTAL foreigner! Thanks! :)</p>

<p>Ok, I can offer some info on UW Madison and IU Bloomington my son applied to both and is a freshman at UW.</p>

<p>For Business schools, IU is, I think, more well-regarded than UW Madison’s, though my kid is in humanities so we don’t really know the details. However, overall, academically UW Madison has stronger reputation than IU. Both schools require admission and acceptance into the Business school. IU does take more direct admits, based on gpa and test scores, I have heard that UW takes very few direct admits into the B school. My son has a number of UW friends desperately trying to keep up their grades in order to be admitted to B school. </p>

<p>Living there – we are biased, as my son chose UW over IU, so take this as one person’s opinion. Bloomington is a pretty campus, and a small college town, about 8 blocks, and then feels suburban. The engineering school is at Purdue several hours away, so some programs are not in Bloomington. IU is a pretty campus, but I am a sucker for the lake front view at UW Madison. About 45 minutes from Indianapolis, the biggest city in Indiana. Weather is generally milder than WI for sure. Lots going on on campus, with superb music and dance schools, so there is plenty to do but a much smaller feel to campus than UW. </p>

<p>UW Madison is, to my mind, the quintessential college campus. Gorgeous setting, on the lake, with sweeping views down from Bascom, the first campus building. Madison is the state capital so lots of internships etc for students interested in that kind of thing. A famously liberal city in an increasingly conservative (or polarized) state. Much more of a city in comparison to Bloomington, with city buses, traffic etc, great shopping on State St, diverse offerings. Student dorms are either in the busier “southeast” neighborhood or the the quieter “lakeshore” – on the lake, surrounded by nature trails etc. Weather definitely more of a factor than Bloomington, there was snow, though not much, on the ground last week when we got our son for spring break. </p>

<p>That is just a start, someone else will need to add about UW Seattle and San Diego. Good luck with your decision, all good choices.</p>

<p>I think UCSD is kinda socially dead. I know someone who goes there and he is enjoying himself there. He joined a fraternity and also plays club water polo. But besides joining clubs on campus, La Jolla, although very beautiful, is not a college town. It is very expensive and the students cannot afford to do anything in La Jolla. Housing in that area is expensive too. This student still lives in the dorms and he is going to be a senior next year. He had friends last year who moved off campus into a big house but the house was ten miles away from campus so they could afford it! I imagine some students live nearby but I do not know how they afford that. It is a spread out campus. I do not think it is interesting at all from an architectural viewpoint, just a lot of modern buildings with no uniformity to them. If you are focusing solely on the climate, then San Diego has the best of the schools you have mentioned. And if you like surfing, La Jolla is great for that as well. Obviously, it is a good school academically but its main strength is in the sciences.</p>

<p>I would also say that academically UW Seattle and UW Madison are the same. Both are pretty campuses but I would say UW Seattle is a bit prettier from an architectural viewpoint. Both Madison and Seattle are great cities to go to college in and both are on beautiful lakes…I applied many years ago to UW Seattle for graduate school and was accepted but did not attend for various reasons so I have a warm spot in my heart for that school. I always wanted one of my kids to go to that school. We toured it with my older son years ago and he liked the campus but for some reason he did not like Seattle as a city. It all depends on whether you can tolerate rain or snow…</p>

<p>As a Wisconsin mom of two boys that have attended the UW, my advice to you is bring your long thermal underwear and warm boots. We live in Wisconsin and my boys get in state tuition. Otherwise, I’m sure they would have preferred a warmer climate. They don’t call Wisconsin “The Tundra” for nothing. Also, plan on a lot of walking. The campus is huge. If you don’t like the cold and a lot of walking, then you might want to go to Seattle. I’ve heard the campus beauty/atmosphere is a lot like Madison only warmer. :slight_smile: I love Seattle too.</p>

<p>All this is SO very helpful! :slight_smile: Thanks y’all!</p>

<p>@chilly1too,
since you are a “wisconsin native” could you plz tell me how the weather is exactly year-round?
I read that WI is 4 seasons somewhere. Am I wrong? (again, I’m a total foreigner!lol)
I thought, during the summer, it’s real hot, and in winter, pretty cold with some snow. Please tell me all the details.</p>

<p>btw I am all in for sunshine. I don’t like rain, but I CAN tolerate the cold if the sky is clear with sunlight :slight_smile: I really do need clear skies most days. Don’t like depressing cloudy days (like Seattle, I hear)
Thanks! :D</p>

<p>^I can fill you in on weather in Madison, or the upper Midwest in general really.</p>

<p>There are definitely 4 distinct seasons. There will be plenty of cold and snow during the winter. Unfortunately, it gets very dark during the winter months too. Lots of cloudy days. It won’t be as bad as Seattle’s winter as far as cloudiness though. Seattle’s winter will also have lots of rain rather than snow, and I’ll take snow over rain any day. </p>

<p>Bloomington’s winter will be a little more mild than Madison’s, but still cold and probably just as cloudy. Your best bet for constant sunshine is San Diego for sure.</p>

<p>Yes, that is very true about the weather. Very hot & humid in the summer, usually July and August. Pretty cloudy and cold in the winter. Seasonal depression can be a problem for some. I’d prefer the rain to the snow. At least it’s not so cold. San Diego sounds nice too. At least you can escape to the beach to soak up some rays! I can’t think of a better place to study. I have no idea what the campus is like though. Good luck with your decision.</p>

<p>UW is a much better campus than IU! Weather is Wisconsin- plenty of sunshine in winter, best observed from indoors. Lack of cloud cover means the day’s heat escapes and it can be clear and cold (my Indian M-in-Law had to be told sunshine does equate with heat as it does there). You do adapt to weather. Consider gloomy days versus sunshine. Also consider experiencing the climate as a student- your chance to enjoy snow.</p>

<p>@wis75
“UW is a much better campus than IU!”</p>

<p>by “UW”, you do mean U Wisconsin (and NOT washington), right? Just making sure :)</p>

<p>This IS the Wisconsin website. U-dub is Washington, not UW. Indiana will be mostly Indiana residents, a much more conservative state. Madison a much nicer city than Bloomington. The weather in southern IN isn’t that great- ice storms more than snow perhaps for winter. At least that part of IN has some hills but it is a small college town, not a city. You may want to check how many come from various states. Each school will mainly be people from its region, but UW draws many from the east coast and not just surrounding states.</p>

<p>thanks to you guys, i think i’ve ALMOST made my mind! :smiley: again, THANK YOU</p>

<p>@wis75 haha i’m a beginner at cc.and being an international, more diversity at UW sounds good to me :slight_smile: thanks! </p>

<p>btw, does anyone know about the housing at UWMadison???
i was a bit worried about the facilities because it’s public…
and how is the atmosphere on campus? are people friendly and open(especially to intl students)???</p>

<p>Dorms are fine, even the huge freshman dorms, Sellery and Witte. There is a surcharge for the newer, nicer dorms, such as Ogg and Smith in Southeast and Dejope in Lakeshore. </p>

<p>As a parent, I would recommend the dorms because of all the activities and connections available – there were dorm sports leagues, dorm skating parties, halloween decorating competitions etc. You can do as little or as much as you want. Dorms have computer labs and printing facilities, laundry (you can get text alerts when your dryer is done . . . . ), the larger ones have advising staff on site (to advise about course selection, major etc) and have classrooms where discussion section of a large lecture class can meet (typically, econ/chem/psych type courses). </p>

<p>My son describes an open, friendly environment. Although we live in the midwest, we are from the east coast, and he has made friends from all over. </p>

<p>Hope that helps.</p>

<p>Since (as you said) you’re a beginner with CC, use the search capability above the # sign at the top of this thread. Your questions (in seveal flavors) have been asked and answered multiple times. Do the work.</p>