Ua/au

<p>I don’t mean to start any controversy over which school is better! I am just stuck deciding between the two. I have full tuition scholarships to both, and an extra $10,000 engineering one at Alabama. These two are the only ones I am considering, I didn’t apply anywhere out of state and have already ruled out UAB. So just any random insight or advice about either school would be helpful. I haven’t visited either yet but I’m planning to in January I believe. So maybe that will help me make my mind up. I will be honest and say I always expected to be at Auburn, and I am a fan… But I’m not letting football effect my education!(; Now I feel like I’m leaning towards Bama but I am scared to not choose Auburn. I’m very confused if that isn’t obvious. I’m not one to post anything on sites, but I’ve ready many things on here and thought this may be helpful… So why not give it a try!</p>

<p>Visit both schools and let that help you decide.</p>

<p>After you set up your tour time and date at Bama, send an email to Jami Gates in the Honors College. Tell Jami your tour time and date, your stats, and your intended major. Jami will set up some additional things for you…such as touring the honors dorms, meeting with faculty from your major, and maybe sitting in some honors courses.</p>

<p>Which area of engineering are you considering?</p>

<p>Okay, thank you! I just applied to the UHP about two days ago. A little late, I know.</p>

<p>Chemical engineering. Well, chemical and biological engineering at Bama.</p>

<p>^^^</p>

<p>That’s not too late to apply to UHP.</p>

<p>Are you going to apply for CBHP?</p>

<p>I visited both Auburn and the University of Alabama with my son. </p>

<p>They are both in Alabama but as far as location goes that is the only thing they have in common. Auburn is really near a tiny town and has a “rural” feel. UA, however is located in Tuscaloosa, a small city with many shops, stores and restaurants. Yet, if you want the small town feel you can still visit “downtown” Tuscaloosa. </p>

<p>Personally, I think not only is the campus more vibrant, with many many activities but the location can be a deciding factor as well.</p>

<p>As far as possible opportunities go, I highly recommend the CBH program (my son is a member). He had the opportunity of returning to NY with the recruitment team this semester and speaking at several sessions.</p>

<p>Education in CBH and the honors college is top notch. You will find that there are more classes than you will have time for. One benefit is that your scholarship will cover up to 20 credits a semester. For students that have a “heavy credit” required load, this can give them extra credits for other classes. I am sure that Auburn does not cover that many credits and you would pay extra tuition.</p>

<p>Just food for thought!</p>

<p>Thank you to bamagirl11 for starting this thread and for the replies. My D has also been accepted to UA & AU and we’ll vist both for the first time next month. Good to have others’ feedback before we go because we are really clueless about the differences between the 2 schools.</p>

<p>Both schools have aspects which them special places. I never ever considered going to AU, but that was because I grew up a fan of Alabama football. </p>

<p>I think in terms of overall campus beauty, there is no comparison, but then again I am biased. However, many Auburn fans have told me how pretty our campus is. I wish my fellow alums would be willing to appreciate Auburn’s campus too, but there really is a big difference between the two campuses, though AU has made great strides in improving its campus in the last ten years. I certainly understand how someone could fall in love with Auburn. I have always admired the small town right on the edge of campus. Very charming. But still, I think Bama’s campus sells itself. The UA alumni Assoc. says that if we can get a student on campus, we have a student for life. The application yield rate for UA supports that claim. </p>

<p>Both have amazing facilities, and both have their own Shelby complex, though UA’s will be much larger than AU’s when Phase 4 is completed in 2012. Phase 3 is under construction right now. We talk about the SEC Complex on this board a lot, because each phase is like three new academic buildings in one. They are allowing UA to become a Tier One research university, and are incredibly beautiful as well. It will be a mini campus when completed, with a beautiful quad in the middle. </p>

<p>I think both schools have big Greek systems, which could be a plus or minus. The truth is that both have some obnoxious Greeks, but I think those types are a minority. Most Greeks are fine. </p>

<p>You can have a great time at either school as an independent. Both have friendly students, with UA’s student body being perhaps a little more diverse and a little less conservative, but not by much. </p>

<p>You have to follow your heart. Im glad I followed mine. I live in another place, but my heart is in Tuscaloosa.</p>

<p>My D and I visited UA in the summer and she loved it. We visited AU last week and she loved it as well. Neither one gave her the “I just have to go here” feel. She feels like she can fit in at both schools. The advice I am giving her is to list the qualities you are looking for in a school and then rank them. Then give each school a score for each area. In the end, hopefully you can see which school has the highest score in the areas that you see as most important.
We haven’t decided where she will be enrolling in the fall we are just glad to have options.</p>

<p>Thank you so much for all of the input, I really think it’s awesome how you guys are here for people with questions!</p>

<p>For the CBHP question, I wasn’t planning on it. I never really looked into it. But isn’t it small like only 40 people? I’m not sure, so please correct me if I’m wrong!</p>

<p>All of my friends are going to Alabama, so that effects it a lot. But on the other hand just growing up in Alabama you hear how Auburn is better for engineering… Now, after I’ve read a lot of things on here and other sources it seems to me that Alabama is really working it’s way up there and could be just as good as, if not better, as Auburn. So I feel as if the academics will be somewhat equal at both, with the exception of the Honors College at Bama being better. I am definitely not planning to rush, not to degrade it or anything but the academic part of college is what’s important to me. And then the housing issue at Auburn… I have not paid any deposits due to my wonderful indecisiveness. So if I waited even longer there would be a chance I wouldn’t get a good choice at Auburn, or no choice at all. And I don’t know how their honors housing works. So as of now I am leaning towards Alabama, just hope it feels right when I visit it… Not like “T-Town” the party place. And again that’s just word of mouth, I’ve never actually been so I have no real knowledge of what it is like! Thanks again for everything(:</p>

<p>Bamagirl … glad you are planning to visit. We are from Illinois, so sending our D to the south for school held many initial reservations for us. But after having visiting UA, meeting the wonderful people associated with the Honors College (students and staff), touring the beautiful campus, and seeing the AMAZING dorms, we no longer have ANY reservations. You will love it. My D applied both to UFE and CBHP and is really hoping to be lucky enough to be chosen. It has risen to the TOP of her list over many other more highly “ranked” schools. Keep an open mind, and you will NOT be disappointed.</p>

<p>CBH is approximately 40 students per year, UFE is smaller. CBH is a select group of individuals from many majors who learn programming and do research projects. My son really love it and it is a minor as well.</p>