UA campus tours

<p>I’m planning on taking the University Days tour before I transfer over so I can get the feel of the campus and would like some tips and some experiences from others who have taken this tour before.
What was it like? Was it beneficial? Did you have a chance to meet Professors and different organizations personally?</p>

<p>All information is welcome, thanks and Roll Tide.</p>

<p>When I went to do my campus tour, it seemed that most students did the 1.5 hour guided campus tour and then ended up walking around campus on their own (My brother went this route.) </p>

<p>I, on the other hand, decided that if I was going to take leave (military) and fly home and drive all the way out to T-town from Atlanta, I was going to make it a full day event. A quick e-mail the the college I was most interested in (Engineering) yielded me a guided tour of the entire engineering campus and the Ferg, a free lunch with the tour guide, who in my case was a Senior majoring in what I intended to major in, and then I had an interview/meeting with the department head (Dr. Chris Brazel.) All it took was one quick e-mail to the Engineering department that took me two minutes to write. </p>

<p>My dad went with me, and had previously attended a campus tour with my younger brother. He was blown away at how much more useful my day on campus was with the engineering tour than my brother got by not taking two minutes to send an e-mail.</p>

<p>Philosophy: Some of this info may not be pertinent since you are a transfer student and have already decided on UA., but I have copied and condensed the following for you.</p>

<p>Will you be joining the Honors College?? If so:</p>

<p>Set up a campus tour online…try for an early morning time! Don’t bother with the “info session”, you’ll get that info here on CC’s Alabama forum, which is VERY active.
<a href=“https://ua-uga.edu.185r.net/Event/[/url]”>https://ua-uga.edu.185r.net/Event/&lt;/a&gt;&lt;/p&gt;

<p>In the email include:
Student’s name and contact info
Date and time of the Campus tour that you’ve reserved.
GPA and test scores (include likely NMSF if applicable)
Likely majors*</p>

<p>Career interests (including med, law, etc)
Anything particular that you want to see ie: if you have an interest in seeing the new Science and Engineering Complex, let them know.</p>

<p>Honors Recruitment
Allison Verhine
Coordinator
269 Nott Hall
205-348-5534
<a href=“mailto:allison.verhine@ua.edu”>allison.verhine@ua.edu</a></p>

<p>Susan Alley
Assistant Coordinator
270 Nott Hall
205-348-5599
<a href=“mailto:susan.alley@ua.edu”>susan.alley@ua.edu</a></p>

<p>Allison and her assistant will arrange the rest of the day…meeting with faculty, honors people, touring honors dorms, etc.</p>

<p>Sometimes mail goes to their SPAM folders, so call them if you haven’t heard back within a few business days. These ladies do an excellent job and work very hard.</p>

<p>Here is additional info which is very useful:
<a href=“A&S: This is how college is meant to be - YouTube”>A&S: This is how college is meant to be - YouTube;

<p><a href=“Titanium Chef | Home”>Titanium Chef | Home;

<p>Other info about Tuscaloosa and UA
<a href=“http://talk.collegeconfidential.com/university-alabama/1156069-bama-area-restaurant-guide.html?highlight=restaurants[/url]”>http://talk.collegeconfidential.com/university-alabama/1156069-bama-area-restaurant-guide.html?highlight=restaurants&lt;/a&gt;&lt;/p&gt;

<p><a href=“http://talk.collegeconfidential.com/university-alabama/1342479-things-see-do-around-ua.html[/url]”>http://talk.collegeconfidential.com/university-alabama/1342479-things-see-do-around-ua.html&lt;/a&gt;&lt;/p&gt;

<p>Sorry for such a late reply cleonard19. But thanks for your input, it has really helped. I decided to go the same route as you and write an email to the Honors College. Hopefully I can get a reply very soon since I want to go in August. I’m not necessarily sure if my tour will be as long as yours although it would be nice since I am coming a long way. If not I can always set up the guided tour or even take another tour of the Philosophy department, this way I can have a 2 for 1.</p>

<p>Hopefully everything works out and I be able to get all the information I need. Thanks again.</p>

<p>Thank you for your reply robotbldmom. I may need to send another email since I didn’t incorporate any information. I basically just expressed my want to view the college maybe I will just call and make it simple as such. Thank you again.</p>

<p>If you plan on going in August for your visit I would call, since August is a very busy month for the Honors College.There are still Bama Bounds ongoing and both Outdoor Action and Alabama Action programs begin…and then students will be returning to campus.</p>

<p>Thank you for the info, I will be calling this morning so lets see if I can get somewhere.</p>

<p>University Days is really geared to high school students, so I don’t think it’s what you want. It done in a huge group without much personal attention…no meeting profs, etc.</p>

<p>Since you’re a transfer student, you’ll need to focus on your major. A more personalized visit would be best.</p>

<p>Thank you mom2collegekids, that was actually my go to plan until I heard from one of the school reps that it would not do me any good. And as you said I am looking for more of a personal experience with the meetings and all so I can actually see what how I would fit in and if its a right choice for me.So quite possibly I may either set my tour up with Honors or either the Philosophy department.</p>

<p>Definitely contact Susan and Allison in the above post…include your stats and philosophy goals.</p>

<p>BTW…for Philosophy…my kids loved Dr. Torin Alter…the best. Dr. Wrenn is good, too. Dr. Stuart Rachels can be …well, some like him, some don’t. He’s the son of the late American Philosopher James Rachels, who wrote “Moral Problems”, “The Ethics of Moral Philosophy,” along with other books and publications.</p>

<p>First off great news, I got an email back from the Honors College earlier this morning!!! And just as everyone said I gave all the extra information and such, and now am waiting for a reply back to see what is going on. </p>

<p>mom2collegekids, thanks for the reviews hope to meet a few of them. I have heard a few things from family and friends so I suppose it all goes hand in hand:)</p>