UA engineering study plans - need help

Hello,

I posted something similar on the engineering forum and I wanted to get direct UA insight from families here.

I am currently finishing up my first year of engineering studies and I will be finishing with a 4.0 this year. Due to UA taking over 50 credit hours of AP/dual enrollment classes, I can potentially graduate in 2 more years of study. I need some help or guidance on what would be the best plan to be prepared to enter the work force by the time I graduate:

1. Power through the next 4 semesters to graduate by May 2019, taking roughly 15 credit hours every semester to finish. Would leave me only one summer to intern with a company to get experience since I was not able to find one this summer. Basically I will be starting my junior year of studies this fall and will be graduating quicker.
  2. Slow down and spread out my remaining credit hours so that I stay the full 4 years to graduate in May of 2020. This gives the potential to take some extra classes or easier semesters (12-13 credit hours). This gives 2 summers to intern with companies or potentially intern in the school year without a overbearing school load. This delays graduation and possibly making salary sooner, but it could make for a better position to enter the workforce with a job vs. temporary unemployment after college.

Just to clarify I am not interested in study abroad. I am also on a scholarship that pays all my tuition and education expenses so all I pay is living expenses. This is purely about finishing college early or making the most of my 4 years. I am trying to make the right decision with the costs and benefits. Any help would be appreciated.

Do a Co-op

Have you considered doing a co-op? That will definitely help in the experience area.

Since all you have to cover is living expenses, I seriously would not rush to get done. You have the rest of your life to work that full-time job :wink: Having two solid internships - or a co-op - would benefit you GREATLY in terms of post-grad job placement, based on what I’ve heard from parents of other engineering students (now graduates) over the last couple of years. Good luck making your decisions!

Yes. I agree with @amy9998 you should pace yourself and enjoy your four (or five ) years at UA. Get work experience for your resume via co-ops or internships which are highly critical for your fulltime job search. Look into a semester study abroad to explore the world while you still have time before embarking on a fulltime career. You will never again have so much time to explore the world as you do now. Enjoy and don’t rush.

My daughter (wrapping up her 2nd year) was in a similar situation. She has 5 years scholarship, but she could have finished one BS (in Comp Science) in just 3 years if she were really determined to do so.

My son will be in a similar situation . . . (also with 5 years scholarship, he’ll start this fall.)

I encourage both of them to make the most of their free education (Dad and I can cover the living expenses/misc no problem), and not to waste any free semesters. There are multitudes of interesting things to learn. Find them!

Another benefit is being able to “take it easy” and not cram in a zillion required courses each term. My daughter has taken about 3 credits of music each semester, just for fun . . . There are also classes on life guarding, EMT skills, sports, arts, etc . . . Explore what is interesting and/or useful to you.

My daughter took on a 2nd major (math, which she really enjoys), which will help her “use up” 4 years for undergrad. She’s also doing a co-op (which doesn’t use any scholarship funds). She’s planning on using her 5th year for her MS (in comp science). If she’d only had 4 years’ money, she’d have probably had to choose between a 2nd major and the MS. . . But, she didn’t have to choose, so she’s doing it all.

My son will likely either use his “extra” semesters for study abroad and/or will do a MS after he’s done with his BS. He’s very interested in study-abroad, so he may well decide to do a full semester or two abroad, maybe even very unrelated to his primary degree program . . . Or maybe he’ll do a second major . . . or lots of music . . . or many practical medical/social sciences type classes he has a lot of time to decide. :slight_smile:

I highly encourage you to consider a MS with your 4th year if you don’t have a 2nd major you’re dying to do. There are plenty of options that are just a one year MS. If you apply for the “University Scholars program”, (which you’re a sure fit for given your GPA), you can begin your MS work during your last semesters of undergrad – double counting up to 4 or so courses towards both the BS & MS, making it even easier to get it done in the time allotted.

(Presidential scholarships and similar ARE allowed to be used towards grad programs at UA!)

If you haven’t seriously considered the co-op program, please do!! It’s really an incredible opportunity. Co-op jobs typically pay in the range of 18-20+/hr, so that’s sufficient income to easily cover living expenses plus some, so it doesn’t put you in debt or really cost you anything, and it puts you in a much stronger position when you are applying for a post-degree job.

IMHO, this opportunity for essentially free education is too priceless to throw away. Unless you have really good reason (dire financial situation that getting to work early would change . . . or a baby on the way, or similar), I’d find something valuable to do with the extra time.

Some other random ideas that I’ve seen my daughter’s classmates choose . . . A MechE major is adding a Comp Sci minor . . . Comp Engr major adding a math major . . . A ChemE major adding an Art minor. An Env Sci major taking zillions of classes in Chinese (presumably at least a minor). Double majors in one $ earning (ENGR) field and one fun field . . . etc . . . Lots of ways to go about using this wonderful opportunity!

If you can’t think of something you’d love to learn . . . ask professors/mentors in your department what other skills/classes/minors/majors would strengthen your career options. Consider Comp. Sci, business, writing, or language classes if any of those things appeal to you, as those sorts of skills are valuable in most fields. Get life guard certified so you can feel safe taking your future kids swimming in amazing isolated beaches in wilderness areas . . . likewise, consider CHS101 for EMT type training . . .

Or take some of the volunteer type courses where you get out and work in the community, making the world a better place, and helping some of the less advantaged kids in Tuscaloosa (and other places) get a hand up towards a better future for them and their families.

Wow thanks for the terrific advice everyone, especially @mmom99 . I appreciate all the insight and I am taking in everything said. The primary reasons that are pushing me to finish early are 1) My brother will be going to college in 2019 so money will be tighter for the family and 2) Both of my parents are in terrible health and have told me not to count on them making it through my college years…I am scared of waking up one day and finding out my dad is gone and I have to take care of my brother and mother because my mom can’t provide. Part of me wants to finish school asap so that I can be self-reliant and care for family if something comes up. The other part of me wants to enjoy college and develop myself as much as possible. I shouldn’t have to worry about this issue but it’s always in the back of my mind…if family health wasn’t a problem I would be happy staying the full 4 years to graduate in 2020.

Given your concerns about longer term financial issues, then how about plan to use the 4th year for a MS? Apply for University Scholars (you’re a shoo-in), carry on with your BS, and then, if disaster strikes, you can always end early and skip the MS (if you really need to – but I would NOT wish for that if at all possible).

I’d also consider doing the co-op . . . Yes, it’ll slow you down by a semester or two, but you’ll earn $$$ in the co-op, certainly enough to cover your living expenses. That’ll give your folks some $$$ breathing room, as you’d be “off the parental dole” for the semesters you work the co-op. (I know that I, as the parent, am totally happy about that element of my daughter’s co-op plan! It’ll be the same 10 semesters of us providing her living expenses, but her earning 40k over a summer and 2 semesters, midway through, and covering most of her own living expenses during those times, will give us a very welcome break! LOL)

If you can take a full load over the summer between co-op working semesters (using a semester of your scholarship money), then you could graduate, with both the BS, MS, and a year of co-op work experience, in a total of 4.5 years. If you can use University Scholars to “double count” a few of your MS courses, this will be easier, as I imagine that you will have a bit of a challenge finding useful courses that are offered in summer school. If you can’t find many useful summer courses, that might not work, but still, you’re talking about one extra year of total time, but you’ve gained a year of work experience . . .

You’ve got an entire career and life to plan for.

Don’t short change your future for a year’s earlier graduation.

Realistically, one year’s (frugal) living expenses is peanuts. If disaster struck, you could borrow enough to live on between student loans and a credit card. And, I really hope that your parents have some sort of financial resources that would be available to help you out for that short period of time, but, if not, you can scramble and make it happen for one more year. Or you have some relatives that would step in and bridge the gap for you if true disaster struck. Given your stellar performance thus far, I promise you that resources will be available to you one way or another.

Your lifetime earning power is much more critical to your (and your family’s) financial security than one more year of your living expenses. Especially because your family sounds financially vulnerable, you should take full advantage of current opportunities.

Oh, also, I am all for taking care of your family. BUT, you shouldn’t have to sacrifice your education to do it. You’ve got 50 or so working years ahead of yourself . . . Invest in your education and yourself now, for a lifetime’s payback. Heck, single parents go back to school starting with undergrad all the time . . . You will be way ahead of the game . . . You’ll do more for your family if you maximize your education/career options than you could otherwise. . .

@mmom99 thank you for your great thoughts.

I have been through the CO-OP process twice and I am still waiting to hear back from companies from my last interviews in March. I am hoping for something to pull through.

I see now that making the most of my 4 years of college will help me develop as a person and my career potential. There is a lot of room to do different things and I should focus on what I want to do to improve myself. I will keep my doors open to see what I can do.

I’ve heard that the UA career services for co-ops and internships do not do that great a job lining up perspective employers with students. I would suggest you do more searching on your own or ask for tips from others. The FB parents group is a good resource for leads.

@NoVADad99 , actually, for ENGR, they have a really strong co-op program. Some majors have more options than others. MechE and CivilE have more, I think, whereas ChemE, CS, and AeroE seem to have more limited options, but overall, the co-op program seems very strong.

There are career fairs, too, to find internships, but I do think that for internships, the options are more limited and more self-directed. The fair is there, with some employers, but they don’t walk you through the process (as they do with co-ops).

@atomicPACMAN07, that’s awesome that you’ve been pursuing the co-ops! Take heart, as it seemed like a LOT of kids didn’t get good, if any, co-op offers their freshman year, but did get great offers (that they accepted) during fall of their 2nd year. I imagine that many companies prefer to start with students a little further along in their studies. Not a single one of my daughter’s friends accepted a co-op offer first year (even though many did the process), but many of them accepted offers Fall of 2nd year. Meanwhile, the longer you are there, the more career fairs and self-directed internship applications you can pursue (google up “your major” + internships and find some . . . just apply and apply and apply!

Thanks for the motivation @mmom99 :slight_smile: I just got to keep looking forward for new opportunities with time.