UA engineering

<p>So there are REU positions for summer after freshman year? How does one apply if they don’t even have a GPA yet? How does one know what type of REU would work when they haven’t even started major courses?</p>

<p>There are some, but usually you have to have soph standing, although some will count AP/DE classes. You will have at least one semester’s worth of grades since apps are done after Dec. It might also help to carefully choose a relevant course or two for spring to list as “currently taking”.</p>

<p>Obviously, those with more credits will probably have an edge.</p>

<p>aeromom:
Congratulations to your son being in the Complete Works of Shakespeare Abridged. I bet he had a great time. So glad you were able to see your son perform!!!
My D’s and I love that play. My D at Bama saw that play last year when one of her friends was in it. I don’t know if she saw it this year but I will tell her about tonight’s performance. </p>

<p>RTR!!</p>

<p>S entered UA with over 40 credits, so I guess he already has sophomore standing. For a relatively new student like this, how does one go about getting LOR from professors who barely know him or her?</p>

<p>^^^</p>

<p>What courses are being taken? He’s in engineering right?</p>

<p>He’s engineering, taking chem, calc 2, sociology, and eng 111 and 142. Plus a UH 101 seminar.</p>

<p>Who is his Cal II prof? </p>

<p>If he’s doing or will soon be doing some FEP engineering projects, is there a prof who has (or soon will) know more of his work? </p>

<p>Does your son “speak up” in class? Answer questions? Ask questions? etc?</p>

<p>Calc prof is Martin Evans. What are FEP projects? Not sure about which profs know his work, but I know he has never been shy in class. I would expect he is no different in college.</p>

<p>My son liked Dr. Evans for math.</p>

<p>FEP…Freshman Eng’g Program projects. Those FEP should have some project work.</p>

<p>DS is a freshman but came in with 45 hours (AP and such) and he is trying to get in the Wormshack (sp?) Lab with the Caldwells. I understand that it potentially a summer commitment. Any idea what his chances are? I think that is a pretty prestigious lab. I’m thinking that would count as an REU position. Anybody have a clue?</p>

<p>has he contacted them about interviewing for a position?</p>

<p>He has talked to Dr. Caldwell (he is in his biology class/lab) and he has applied on paper. Not sure if that was actually considered an interview or just a casual conversation. DS hasn’t said anything about an official interview scheduled. He may not have been offered an interview. That would certainly answer the question!</p>