UA freshmen---how's it going?

How was orientation? The first day of classes?

My DS19 is a freshman at Bama, but isn’t on these boards, so I hope it’s ok I’m chiming in.

Orientation was great–they had one-on-one advising for the engineering majors and my DS was able to register for the exact schedule he wanted. Getting his dual enrollment and AP credit transferred in was easy, and the large number of credits he received is allowing him to double major and pursue a minor as well.

Move-in was well organized and he has enjoyed meeting his dormmates (in the Blount living-learning community). He’s been on campus about a week and says he’s already to the point where he knows enough people that he hasn’t had to eat alone in the dining hall. There have been a lot of welcome activities–outdoor movie on the quad, concert, scavenger hunt, etc.

Classes started Wednesday, and he has been impressed by both the professors and his classmates. His biggest class so far is a 200-level chem class with about 70 in the lecture but fewer than 20 in the lab section.

My post could be ditto to Colorado19and22 as my son is also in Engineering and in Blount. My son participated in Outdoor Action with the Honors College and he had a chance to connect with a professor in the biology department to chat about an area of interest to him for research opportunities. My son is somewhat introverted, but he’s meeting people slowly through his time in the gym and some of his other activities. He is planning on signing up for some activities on the Get on Board days and through Blount. So far, so good! He’s loving it on campus.