UA from the north?

<p>Hello, I was accepted to UA after my guidance counselor put it on my lust after I was rejected from many other schools. I am strongly considering as one of my choices but many of the people around me say that I wouldn’t like it down there and the culture is far too different. I don’t really understand. Can somebody help clear this up for me? Is there anyone who has attended UA from Boston or nearby? Thanks.</p>

<p>Do you like friendly, polite people? If so, you’ll like Bama.</p>

<p>Southern hospitality… I think many people from the north have said that the only culture shock was how incredibly nice everyone was. I’m friends with a girl from near Boston who is going to Bama and she loved it when she visited. Definitely visit soon if you can so you can see if it’s right for you.</p>

<p>My S is from CT coast, near NYC and has a couple of Bama friends from the Boston area who really like it. Definitely visit if you can.</p>

<p>after my guidance counselor put it on my lust</p>

<p>You’ve got some GC. ;)</p>

<p>Welcome!</p>

<p>Ha ha to the culture being too different. Well, I guess if the stereotype is true that people from the NE are unfriendly, rude, and cold, then it’s true that the south is very different and shocking. Prepare to be stunned! ;)</p>

<p>Seriously, (and I hope you realize I was being absurd), you won’t be shocked at Bama.</p>

<p>As someone who is from California, I can tell you that, yes, some things will be different. There are a few different popular food items. There are some different stores/restaurants here, but there are also many of the same that you’re famiiar with. People will acknowledge you, smile and wave at you, and offer to help you when you’re carrying something or doing something.</p>

<p>Oh, but one very odd thing about the south…there are banks, pharmacies, and pet clinics EVERYWHERE. Seriously, now that I live in the south, I could walk to 8 pet clinics from my home without breaking a sweat! </p>

<p>But, really, going to Alabama will not be shocking to you in any bad way. Good for your GC!</p>

<p>Are you a NMF? </p>

<p>Tell us more about yourself…your major, are you a girl or boy, etc.</p>

<p>(and please know that you are very welcome here!)</p>

<p>Where in the north are you?</p>

<p>Gizmo- we are from Rhode Island and my son will be a freshman at Bama this year. We loved the campus. I did not find any negatives at all. Up here though, lots of negatives. I am so happy for all the possibilities for my son. He will be able to travel around a different part of the country. That’s one thing that I think everyone should do. Visit this country and see everything. It can be very diverse and extremely interesting. We lived in Los Angeles when I was in my early twenties and newly married. We traveled everywhere, from Tijuana to San Francisco, Las Vegas to Flagstaff and the Grand Canyon. Take the opportunity when you can to experience this country before you end up stuck in one place for the rest of your life. Who knows, maybe you will find that the place you really want to spend your life is not where you think it is. </p>

<p>Mom2k- I remember every corner in LA having a plaza with a donut shop, a nail place and a laundromat!</p>

<p>Honestly you do have to visit. On paper Georgia would be perfect for me. I got to campus and hated it! I got to Bama and loved it. Part of this was because it was so different than the north. (I’m a southern girl living in the north) the people are very nice and not of flashy as where I live. That’s almost a 180 from where I live and really what I want. I know others from my school that have visited and hated it. It’s like a car you have to test drive it.</p>

<p>Tutu: I really like your analogy of having to test drive the school. </p>

<p>I am going to use it and give you full credit. </p>

<p>Welcome and Roll Tide!!</p>

<p>Gizmo11 - might want to look at some of my old posts from a year ago. I had many of the same concerns you did. We are from Chicago and I was very nervous about a Northern girl coming down South. Well boy do things change…my D is signed up, and already starting to pack for her time at UA. After 3 trips to campus we know that this is the very best place possbile for her. </p>

<p>Amazing tradition, academic excellance, Southern hospitality, 50% of the student body from out of state, great athletics, dorms that make old timers like us jealous…what did I miss? It is a very special place. Can’t wait for Fall!</p>

<p>If you have any questions, feel free to PM me. Happy to help!</p>

<p>I wish Gizmo would come back!</p>

<p>I’m guessing that he might be a NMF. If so, he needs to fax in his NMF letter to Bama and he needs to fax in his First Choice to NMcorp THIS WEEK!!!</p>

<p>Amber Capell * <a href=“mailto:amber.capell@ua.edu”>amber.capell@ua.edu</a>
Scholarships fax number 205- 348-9046</p>

<p><a href=“http://www.nationalmerit.org/Col_Ch_Mer.pdf[/url]”>http://www.nationalmerit.org/Col_Ch_Mer.pdf&lt;/a&gt; Name first choice</p>