UA Housing Airport Shuttle Price Decrease

<p>One-way-$30; Round trip-$50 (when booked at time of original reservation)</p>

<p><a href=“http://housing.ua.edu/on_campus/shuttle.cfm[/url]”>http://housing.ua.edu/on_campus/shuttle.cfm</a></p>

<p>Was $40/$60 last year</p>

<h2>That’s good. I like the following line in that page:</h2>

<h2>We can accommodate an unlimited number of students, so don’t worry that a specific time will “sell out.”</h2>

<p>D most likely will have an exam till 2:00 PM on December 13th. So, she can’t take the 2:00PM shuttle. Next shuttle is at 5:00PM. I don’t know if she will have enough time to catch her flight. Her flight leaves at 6:40PM out of BHM. </p>

<p>I don’t know if professors will let her start her exam half an hour early so she can catch the 2:00PM shuttle. The other option is to ride one of the limousines ( $$$ ) , or share a ride with some friends going to Birmingham at that time.</p>

<p>^^^5pm shuttle for a 6:40 flight is cutting it very very close, both with traffic and security checks which are busier during the breaks, I would arrange alternate transportation. If a late exam is scheduled, we just book a flight for early morning the next day. This saves lots of headaches. Professors don’t usually allow changes to exam date or times unless the student has conflicting exam times.</p>

<p>We can accommodate an unlimited number of students, so don’t worry that a specific time will “sell out.”</p>

<p>I wouldn’t trust that completely. lol it may be so, but I would still book early.</p>

<p>Quiet Thinker, DS will have the same problem as you for Winter break as his exam ends at 2:00 pm…boy do I wish they had a shuttle at 2:30! Now we will have to look into a limo or another way to get him there for his 5:15 flight. PM me in November if your daughter hasn’t arranged for a friend to take her and perhaps we can have them share a ride!</p>

<p>Maybe it would make sense to contact housing about this? It seems like the shuttle should be coordinated with exam times during exam week. Maybe there will be a special exam week schedule? Obviously you guys won’t be the only ones with the 2:00 pm issue.</p>

<p>Just anecdotal, but the security line at BHM used to be a quick (15-min, max) thing. Now it has been moved and the last time I left was over an hour. This was for a 7am Sunday flight :(</p>

<p>I agree with Lisa, I wish they had shuttles that went with the exam schedules. I do not want to chance a missed flight so it looks like early Saturday will be our only choice. Wish there were shuttles to Atlanta.</p>

<p>Agreeing with AL34 – Birmingham now has one of the worst airport security lines that I’ve ever experienced. Time of day doesn’t seem to play any role in the length of the lines.</p>

<p>Our DS can leave on Wednesday Dec 11th and we booked the 7am direct flight, the only problem there is no 4am shuttle that day like there is on some of the other days. We have plenty of time but am wondering what would be the best thing to do.</p>

<p>I flew out of BHM recently and it took 10 minutes. 9:30 am on a Thursday…</p>

<p>Airport express is closing business soon. Search it. There’s been a few articles in the BHM news</p>

<p>A 3:00PM shuttle will help a lot of folks. What is the process to make a collective request to the Housing Department to make that shuttle a reality?</p>

<p>Hey there!
A couple of things:
We control what kind of vehicles are used for each shuttle based on the # of reservations. If we need to order 2 for a time, we will. So when we say that the airport shuttle doesn’t “run out” of seats, that’s what we mean.</p>

<p>Also, we’ve been running the shuttle for a few years in some capacity, so the times listed, are the ones that have historically been useful to our students. If you feel that the schedule needs to be adjusted somehow, you can send Julie Elmore an email at <a href=“mailto:jelmore@sa.ua.edu”>jelmore@sa.ua.edu</a>. We welcome feedback about the shuttle service. In fact, as a result of feedback last year, we added a very early option for some breaks!</p>

<p>Hope this helps,
Janine</p>

<p>I sent email to Julie Elmore asking if it would be possible to start a shuttle at 3PM on December 13th. She wrote back saying that if there is interest from at least 6 or 7 students she can look at adding a shuttle for that time. But how do I contact other parents / students who may be potentially interested in this? May be this requires a separate thread of its own.</p>

<p>Janine - I will also send an email, but I think it would help a lot if you just pushed back the times for leaving campus 30 minutes. For example, the 2:00 would leave at 2:30 instead. Many students have classes and/or finals until 2:00 which makes getting to the 2:00 impossible - and then waiting 3 hours until the next shuttle usually means not making a flight. Or split up the times and have one bus go at 2:00 and the other at 2:30.</p>

<p>QuietThinker - my son might take a 3:00. He has a 7:00 flight, booked because he has a Friday final until 2:00. I would rather him be on a 3:00 than the 5:00.</p>

<p>My DD also finishes her last final at 2:00. She would be able to take a 3:00 shuttle, but I doubt a 2:30 and definitely nothing earlier.</p>

<p>I was told the same thing to restore the new 4am shuttle for Nov 27th and Dec11, 7 more students would be needed.</p>