UA Housing - Recontracting Stats?

<p>I’m still waiting to see those ‘seedy’ neighborhoods in Tuscaloosa, maybe someone can PM me where they are, I’ll be down there next week, I’ll check them out. (And I did stay at the La Quinta, twice…that’s NOT a seedy neighborhood). But, I would have preferred not to stop for gas in the middle of the night at that gas station with bars on the windows on the south side of Birminham, but I’ll admit that may be just because I didn’t know the area, or THAT may have been a seedy neighborhood.</p>

<p>As for ‘bad units’, I live near a college town, there are OLD units, some that haven’t been kept up as well as they should be, but they are always cheaper. For some students an older unit with fewer ammenities that hasn’t had large investments put into it is a very affordable option that they are happy with…others need a newer, resort-style, complex and are willing to pay for it… I remember being a college student, I saw some of the place students lived and thought ‘I would NEVER live somewhere like this’ and I didn’t, but they were happy with it and paying a LOT less than me, so what’s a ‘bad unit’ to one, is a great money-saver for another</p>

<p>As for really ‘bad units’ that are unsafe or have serious maintenance issues, that’s why the university inspects every complex that requests it and puts the ones that pass the inspections on their approved list…it’s call crimson choice or something like that… </p>

<p>I have no connections to or knowledge of the area, don’t think I’d even even been in the state of Alabama before my son’s first visit and now have been there a total of 4 times (2 visits before he became a student, move-in, and parents weekend), with my 5th visit soon approaching, but I live 40 miles away from the college-town that is just slightly smaller than Tuscaloosa where I attended our large state flagship years ago, so I’m able to make a lot of parallels</p>

<p>I would suspect off-campus housing won’t become dangerously low because the university won’t grow much more…they can only allow enrollment to grow so much…at some point they will be struggling with classrooms and instructors and other resources, so have to cap enrollment somewhere… if they do increase enrollment, they will build more housing, someone is always willing to make money off students, East Edge is only a few years old, then there are 2? complexes opening this year…I suspect if their are not other new ones already in process, there are some ‘on the drawing board’</p>

<p>If you don’t want to rely on the fact that he has a roommate with a car, then find a complex within walking distance to campus (when I was a student I walked a couple miles every day from my complex because I hated waiting for the bus and it didn’t seem like a long walk at all), or find a complex with a shuttle, or of course there is always the option to buy your student a car, I got my son his 1999 with 120K miles when he was 16 and I got tired of driving him around to all his activities, but it’s still running and has made the 500 mile trip to Tuscaloosa 3 times now…but honestly if he didn’t already have a car with the amount of money I’m saving on tuition, I wouldn’t really think too hard about getting him one now, but of course I’ve just got one son, so I can afford to ‘spoil’ him</p>

<p>Upstate13, I hear you. The honors housing was one of the big draws for my D. And last year when we signed on, the website said it was guaranteed for students in the honors living learning community. I relied on that. And the rules changed. Fortunately, my D signed up first thing and she is able to live on-campus next year. I would be extremely unhappy if that were not the case. </p>

<p>However, there are two things that will probably make a difference next year. First, Presidential Village II should be opening. That will mean a lot more rooms on campus. And second, the class of '17 NMFs will not have housing scholarships beyond the first year. I’m sure there are a number of these kids who would prefer, for financial or other reasons, to move off campus, whereas in the past they would have stayed on. In your shoes I would try to talk to Housing and I’d make my concerns known at the Honors College, but I suspect things will be better next year.</p>

<p>Upstate13,
I agree. The last thing a student should have to worry about is looking for alternative housing after just the first semester of school. I have read many posts that several students in January of their freshman year are having to explore alternative living options and place a deposit so as not to get shut out of a future rental, while at the same time hoping that they can recontract. I would have hoped that they would be able to stay on campus at least for the first two years before being faced with finding a new home. My son when arriving on campus will still be only 17. Of course he is very mature and smart (hence the Honors College lol) but I’d be more comfortable knowing this was all settled at least for a few years.</p>

<p>NYbama maybe we NY folks will need to buy a rental unit :)</p>

<p>There are other schools that have a ‘lottery’ system for non-freshman - which makes it completely random. At least here, there was some level of control based on when you applied to recontract - although we don’t really have the stats to tell us where the cutoff was.</p>

<p>i would love to buy a rental unit. Can’t get my hubby on board with that idea, though.</p>

<p>And thanks Bethsmom - these factors should make 2014 better, lots of folks have chimed in on that. I am just not good with the uncertainty, never have been :)</p>

<p>Upstate13: First off demanding that UA Housing answer in this forum is ridiculous, UA Housing is not mandated to read or reply in this forum. They simply do it out of politeness not necessity. If you want direct answers, then you should pen a nice email to UA Housing and ask any questions that you have any concerns over. You can even call. You will get a much quicker response than waiting to see if someone from housing pops in here (to this forum) to just check in.</p>

<p>Having guaranteed Freshmen housing is a huge advantage.Some colleges do not guarantee housing to freshmen, probably most do not. Some colleges have lotteries to see who gets in. Other colleges triple stack kids into rooms that were meant for two. UA Housing is beautiful, safe and convenient, but by no means is it the only housing available to students. Do a little research and you will see what I mean. There are plenty of nice resort type housing complexes with shuttle services available. </p>

<p>By the way, when did walking or biking go out of fashion?? There are housing complexes within reasonable walking distance like East Edge. Yes, you do have to plan ahead for a “what if” scenario and maybe sign a waiting list but that is really not too much to do. I agree that your perception of “distance from home” may be making you edgy, but remember that the student will only be a little further distance from campus if they should choose to move off. It really won’t matter that much to them.</p>

<p>I dont have proof, but my wife has been increasingly less concerned about my son going away for college. I have a sneaky suspicion she’s planning on moving to Tuscaloosa to a newly purchased condo. I had to convince my son not to worry, when my wife told him that she planned on visiting him every other weekend. I have since convinced her that once a month will suffice but I think she is just yes-ing me to death. I may have to have her placed on the no-fly list with TSA. Lol</p>

<p>Here’s the Crimson Choice website for anyone interested or in need if they did not get approved for recontracting:</p>

<p>[Crimson</a> Choice Home Page](<a href=“http://crimsonchoice.ua.edu/]Crimson”>http://crimsonchoice.ua.edu/)</p>

<p>Here is the list of upcoming off-campus housing fairs:</p>

<p>[Student</a> Affairs | Housing & Residential Communities](<a href=“http://housing.ua.edu/on_campus/event_calendar.cfm?p=2#1944]Student”>http://housing.ua.edu/on_campus/event_calendar.cfm?p=2#1944)</p>

<p>BTW - @NYBama - I’ve managed to see my son once a month. Move-in in August, parents weekend in September, he was home for fall break in October, he was home for Thanksgiving in November, he was home for holiday break in December and into January, and I’m planning a visit in February (he’ll be home for spring break in March, but then there is April??? I may not see him in April, what am I going to do??? :))</p>

<p>@jrcsmom,
Yes, I figured that out as well and explained this to my wife. She threw in that she was going down for his birthday in October as well (it would be the first one that he was without us) which coincidentally falls on the first day of fall break. I’m thinking that my son may want to stay at school for the very short break to catch up on sleep or study and of course celebrate his 18th birthday. I tried to explain this to her for which she promptly responded she doesn’t recall needing my or my son’s permission. Hence, I may need to go the no-fly list route. My son and I have since worked out an early warning MOM alert system in case mom decides to go down on a whim.</p>

<p>Upstate:</p>

<p>Dealbreaker? Really? I think you’re not understanding that your child will likely WANT to move off-campus in a year or so. Making something a “deal breaker” that will likely be a non-issue is a bit ridiculous (either because your child will still get on campus housing or he will want to live off-campus).</p>

<p>Besides, in 2014, the second bldg of the Presidential will be complete. Bama will have about 1000 more beds. </p>

<p>It really has not been a problem for those who WANT on-campus housing to get it. As for off-campus housing, there are MANY super-nice complexes…and new ones are being built all the time. There’s no danger of having a shortage of off-campus NICE housing. And, many have transportation to the campus or are within walking distance.</p>

<p>I am glad that UA did at least offer some measure of incentive in regards to recontracting. Random lotteries are a horrible way to do this and I am glad UA gets that. My S (rising soph) was offered to return to campus, so it looks like having our ducks in a row and waiting for the window to open early that morning of Jan 2. paid off, as it should. There should be some reward for paying attention and being prepared.</p>

<p>Finally just heard from my son. He will not be able to recontract for next year. In case you all were wondering, he applied on the first day within the first 15 minutes of the app opening up. Good luck to all, I am sure everything will work out.</p>

<p>I’m very sorry hokie. I will hope for the best…keep us informed.</p>

<p>

</p>

<p>Does anyone know what the options are for after hours transportation? If a student lives off-campus without a car and has an evening class (after the complex shuttle stops running) or is at the CBH lab or the library until midnight, how does he/she get home? Is 348-RIDE available to go to off-campus complexes?</p>

<p>

</p>

<p>Apparently this year that is not the case, and I think that is why upstate and some other OOS parents have been expressing concern. Just on this board alone there are several kids who wanted on-campus housing who did NOT get it, and obviously that is only a small fraction of the kids affected. While it is not a “deal breaker” for my S and probably not for upstate either, I do completely understand the anxiety about housing, especially for OOS kids. Will it work out? Undoubtedly, but that doesn’t mean it isn’t nervewracking!</p>

<p>Edit: NYBama, is your S’s birthday Halloween? Mine is too. :slight_smile: He’ll be 19 though. I’m kinda hoping he wants to come home for fall break…</p>

<p>I’m sure that Upstate13’s sentiments are just those of a very concerned MOM who only recently found out a somewhat major issue has risen much sooner than she’d expected. As everyone has boldly and correctly stated, “it will work out with a little extra planning, some additional homework on housing, etc”. AGAIN, this early extra knowledge and planning would only have been made possible by our very knowledgeable friends on CC. </p>

<p>ROLL TIDE !!!</p>

<p>@lisa6191,
Actually it’s the 30th.</p>

<p>Hokie, your son is a current soph, right? My D just let me know that a friend of hers who is a sophomore and applied as soon as the application was available online also didn’t get housing for next year. I wasn’t surprised, since it sounds like there are plenty of current freshmen (rising sophomores) who didn’t get housing, and they had priority. It’s still a lousy situation for a kid who wants to be on campus. I hope your son finds a good alternative.</p>