UA NMF Presidential Scholarship

<p>I received the NMF Presidential Scholarship, which is worth approx. $29,000 per year. It is supposed to cover tuition, room (including Honors dorms), a $2,000 summer study stipend, and an iPad if I register for a Bama Bound session by June 1.</p>

<p>However, I looked up the cost of attendance for 2012-2013, and it was about $42,000. That’s kind of a huge difference. I know the Presidential Scholarship doesn’t cover meals or books. What else does the scholarship not cover and why is there such a big difference in the award amount and the COA?</p>

<p>Meals, books, transportation, incidental living expenses. That’s pretty much it. Not sure where those different sets of numbers come from, but I will pay less overall to send my son to UA than I would to any in-state school here in Louisiana.</p>

<p>The COA includes some indirect costs…</p>

<p>It includes personal expenses…like toothpaste and shampoo and pizza out with friends.</p>

<p>It includes transporation to and from campus.</p>

<p>And your scholarship covers more than you think. The scholarship “appears” to only cover cheaper housing, but it really covers the 8800 honors suites. So, that means the scholarship is worth a lot more.</p>

<p>Your scholarship covers…</p>

<p>OOS tuition (about $23,000)
4 BR honors suite ($8,800)
study abroad $2000
Ipad (not sure which IPad III they’re giving.)
$1000 (which covers fees with a little left over)</p>

<p>As you can see above, you scholarship is worth more than $29k per year. </p>

<p>The scholarship doesn’t cover…</p>

<p>books (about 800 - 1000)
meal plan (about 3000)
dining dollars $600 (which can be refunded to you if you don’t use).</p>

<p>transporatation to and from campus
personal expenses.</p>

<p>What is your major?</p>

<p>BTW…the first year is the only year that you have to have that meal plan. After frosh year, you can choose a cheaper version or decide to have no meal plan.</p>

<p>Thank you all so much for the information. I was so concerned that I was going to have to pay upwards of $18,000 out of pocket. mom2collegekids, my NA scholarship should cover my meal plan for at least the first year (unfortunately because I got the corporate scholarship, I can’t get UA’s $1,000/year scholarship). Also, my intended major is English or Communications, but I’ll probably change that once I start taking classes.</p>

<p>Also, I’m going to register to live in Honors Housing (I already filled out the regular housing app)- is there a separate application for that?</p>

<p>How much is your corporate scholarship?</p>

<p>Did you get both NMF and NA scholarships? how much did you get for NA? </p>

<p>There isn’t a separate app for honors housing. But did you submit your app for the honors college? If not, you need to do that ASAP, so you can be in honors housing. It’s on mybama.</p>

<p>If when you sign up for housing, there aren’t any more honors rooms, don’t worry. Just grab what you can and keep checking. Also, contact honors housing because they often set aside some honor suites for NMFs.</p>

<p>It’s $2500. No, we’re only allowed to get one of the scholarships, and I’m a NA finalist. The NA corporation gave me $2500. Yes, I submitted my app on April 20th, and they accepted me a few days later. Thank GOODNESS I was able to find the Honors college website in time. Okay, thank you. That’s really good to know.</p>

<p>Can you clarify?</p>

<p>Are you saying that you got $2500 from NA. </p>

<p>And, you’re getting (how much) from a corporate scholarship? (is that one time or what?)</p>

<p>Ok…good that you have everything in place for the Honors College. :)</p>

<p>Now, again, don’t panic if you don’t first find honors housing. Some will show up as the weeks go on (students change their minds, some NMFs end up elsewhere, etc).</p>

<p>I’m sorry…that was a kind of confusing answer. I got a $2500 scholarship from the NA people. It’s a one-time deal. I didn’t get any NA money from an outside corporation or business (like Cox Enterprises or something).</p>

<p>Ok…</p>

<p>So, contact Bama about the one time 2500 award. You should also be able to get the $1k award for the following 3 years. Contact <a href=“mailto:amber.capell@ua.edu”>amber.capell@ua.edu</a></p>

<p>Really? That’s fantastic! Thank you- I’ll contact her right now.</p>

<p>Since the NMF includes a Presidential scholarship (a factoid y’all taught me) then can I ask this?</p>

<p>If my Dh’s company’s foundation (not NM-related in any way) gives my DD a $10k/yr scholarship as the child of an employee…would this affect her UA NMF in any way? Or would she be free to accept both and use the cash scholarship for food, and study abroad, etc?</p>

<p>She could use it any way she wants.</p>

<p>Well, let’s just say she can use it any way we agree that she can… ;-0</p>

<p>DD will only be barely 17 when she goes off to college…</p>

<p>But, great to know that the money will be there for travel abroad, sorority fees, etc. if she wants to pursue these, or other, things.</p>

<p>UA sent an email concerning housing last week. Starting tomorrow, May 7th, housing selections and room changes can be made everyday, from 4:00 pm to 7:00 am until June 29th. It mentioned there were still available rooms in the honors dorms.</p>

<p>Yankee Belle, I just tried to select my room, but all of the honors dorms are full. Should I contact the university or the honors college about this?</p>

<p>aqua-
It is my understanding that UA “holds” back rooms for NMF’s so I’m sure you will be fine :slight_smile: I would contact Housing and Honors tomorrow.</p>

<p>Welcome to BAMA!</p>

<p>CrimsonMomNC-
Okay, thank goodness! I was really worried. I’ll contact them tomorrow.</p>