UA ranks 1st in NMF enrollment

<p><a href=“http://uanews.ua.edu/2013/02/ua-ranks-first-among-public-universities-in-enrollment-of-national-merit-scholars/?utm_medium=twitter[/url]”>http://uanews.ua.edu/2013/02/ua-ranks-first-among-public-universities-in-enrollment-of-national-merit-scholars/?utm_medium=twitter</a></p>

<p>NICE and a BIG ROLL TIDE!!!</p>

<p>Wow. NMFs are attracted to full scholarships.</p>

<p>

</p>

<p>Explains why UFE and CBHP have become increasingly more competitive. </p>

<p>2012/13= 241 2011/12= 181 That’s a huge increase! No wonder they’ve pulled back on some of the incentive. </p>

<h1>1 in publics, surpassing OU. Good job, Bama and all the NMFs who chose to come!</h1>

<p>Philo … it is about SO MUCH more than the scholarships. True, the lure of the scholarships and the very real knowledge of being able to graduate debt free is what puts UA on these high stats kids radar. That was the case for us. My D was applying to William and Mary, Rice, Vandy, Wash-U Stl, UNC, Tulane, Wake Forest and she was accepted to ALL except 1 waitlist at Wash-U. She also received significant merit aid from 3 of those schools that would have made it cheaper for our family than in-state at our flagship in IL. Like so many of these kids that are choosing UA over the likes of the schools mentioned above, it’s partially about the money, but there still has to be a fit, right? The university and the people and the feeling you get when you visit close the deal. You can read MANY stories like my D’s on our forum. UA is a GREAT place! Roll Tide!</p>

<p>As has been said before, the scholarship puts UA on the radar. The UA experience seals the deal.</p>

<p>Looks like we have a snappy new comeback the next time someone gives us “the look.” ;)</p>

<p>Our dogs Boomer and Norman just get bitterer and bitterer…</p>

<p>^^ Just tell Norman and Boomer that the treat and biscuit budget is getting bigger and bigger.</p>

<p>TUSCALOOSA, Ala. —The University of Alabama ranks first among public universities nationwide in the enrollment of National Merit Scholars for 2012-2013 with 241 scholars in the fall 2012 freshman class.</p>

<p>The ranking also places UA fourth among all universities. Only the University of Chicago, Harvard and the University of Southern California enrolled more National Merit Scholars last fall than UA.*</p>

<p>~snipped~</p>

<p>At least their Crimson and Cream Collars and Leashes still “work”. ;-)</p>

<p>ROLL TIDE ROLL…UA knows a thing or two about recruiting…Today is also National Signing Day for athletes…BAMA NATION ON A ROLL</p>

<p>I posted this on my son’s facebook wall, this is even more important than national signing day :)</p>

<p>Honestly, even the idea of getting such a large scholarship in being a NMSF attracted me to Alabama. Falling in love with an OOS school made me nervous, but after the amazing package it’s become less expensive than if I were to go instate to Florida or FSU. Thank God for the Tide (:</p>

<p>I am proud to say that DD will be one of the (officially, finally) NMFs in the UA class of 2017.</p>

<p>Roll Tide !!!</p>

<p>The scholarships are going to get a lot less attractive now that the housing benefit has been greatly reduced. Book it. </p>

<p>Not to rain on anybody’s Bama lovefest, but the scholarship is what seals the deal for 90% of these NMF’s. When the scholarship benefits get reduced, the kids will go elsewhere. See Auburn, A&M, et al. Of course, there will soon be nobody left giving free rides for NMF.</p>

<p>That said, my kid is loving his college experience, and it was the right decision for him.</p>

<p>There is a lot of truth in what you say Slippy.</p>

<p>DD was Sooner born, until we saw the BAMA alternative.</p>

<p>Yes, but unless they change the Presidential scholarship requirements (which they may but I am praying they don’t), they will still attract a large number of high achieving non-NMF students.</p>

<p>Anyone know the number of non-NMF students who attend UA on the Presidential (or the 2/3) scholarship?</p>

<p>I don’t think that the number of students on the Presidential or the 2/3rds scholarship is publicly available.</p>

<p>Several years ago when Bama was smaller, Bama reported just under 500 frosh entered with the Presidential scholarship. At that time, that was just about 10% of the frosh class. I don’t think it would be a stretch to estimate that the 10% figure still holds.</p>

<p>As for the NMF scholarship…as long as no one higher or similarly ranked is offering a better scholarship, people will either choose Bama or choose a much lower ranked school. </p>

<p>People who want merit scholarships don’t always choose the cheapest school. My younger son could have gone to a few different schools for less than the cost at Bama. Those other schools were significantly lower ranked and/or did not offer the full college experience - which my son wanted. </p>

<p>As much as my kids enjoyed the academic side at Bama, they’ll always remember the BCS championships that were won while they were there. My younger son has been there for three. Roll Tide!</p>