UA ranks 1st in NMF enrollment

<p>Totally agree with slippy, especially in regards to our Southern boys. There are many excellent football schools in the area that offer similar financial packages, similar academic programs, and similar student life. </p>

<p>The free housing and the fact that you could live on campus most of your college career was the tipping point for many.</p>

<p>With that gone, a lot of our smart Southern boys will be going elsewhere, or just staying home to attend that school down the river.</p>

<p>But I do think that Bama will continue to attract a lot of smart OOS students because, just from talking to parents I’ve met on CC, their local flagships do not offer these wonderful scholarships, even to their best and brightest. Such a shame.</p>

<p>And of course, there are always those who will attend a school for the football program, no matter the cost, which is why a lot of our best and brightest still go to that school down the river.</p>

<p>We need those best and brightest boys to stay at The University of Alabama!</p>

<p>Don’t tell DD I said that^^^^</p>

<p>Oh, yes, I did forget to mention that the girls are much more beautiful at Bama. There is THAT tipping point.</p>

<p>Technically, montegut, that school is “up” the river… LOL.</p>

<p>I would have gladly sent him there, but he wanted to leave. Turns out it was the best option for him. My daughter is a HS junior, and I suspect she will be going to LSU.</p>

<p>Montgut, that point has not been lost on my DS, pretty and smart!</p>

<p>And, in some cases, tall!</p>

<p>There’s only ever been about 200 NMFs per year Contrast that the THOUSANDS of other students who have decided to apply to UA for the experience and - no use denying it - the football and haven’t qualified for much in the way of scholarhips.</p>

<p>^^^So true, feenotype. While Bama likes the status of having a high number of NMFs, they know there are plenty kids out there who will pay full freight to go there. I am thrilled that my son made it under the gun and was able to take advantage of the scholarship. My twin brothers did the same at UT-Austin back in the 80s, although their offer was instate tuition back then, which was still a great deal. Still today, though, kids would love to go to UT-Austin, even though the NMF package is no longer in place.</p>

<p>“My twin brothers did the same at UT-Austin back in the 80s, although their offer was instate tuition back then, which was still a great deal. Still today, though, kids would love to go to UT-Austin, even though the NMF package is no longer in place.” </p>

<p>I’m surprised to read this. I would have sworn at least as recently as about 3 years ago, UT-Austin WAS offering in-state tuition rates to NMFs. I remember considering it for my d. However, that’s water under the bridge, and she LOVES LOVES LOVES U.A. today, and is so GLAD I discovered the full-ride NMF scholarship that UA offers (on CC, by the way) and that she took advantage of it.</p>

<p>Are there ever any concerns about the comparative strength of UA’s academic programs?</p>

<p>downtimer, no UT-Austin has not offered full rides for NMF for some time now. My D was considering UT but changed her mind. With the whole top % rule it has watered down some. Then the limited number of slots per major that you do not declare till end of soph year, she was turned off. Several schools have stopped offering NMF scholarships. I’m noticing those schools are sliding a bit in the caliber of students they attract (Ivy schools and such not counting). Those that still offer good merit aide for NMF’s are showing vast signs of moving up academically.</p>