UA Reception - potential student

<p>My daughter got an invite to the UA Reception for potential students. It is at our local art museum. We were wondering what the proper attire is and what to expect at this event since this is different from the other typical college road shows. Thanks do much.</p>

<p>I would just dress in nice casual attire. It really depends on what region you live in as to what the attire should be. But I think work casual would be fine.</p>

<p>As a freshman mom from Texas, I attended my first Bama Bound day dressed in shorts, a plain fitted t-shirt, cute jewelry, and tennis shoes. I was WAY underdressed, all the “southern” moms were in sundresses and cute heels! I thought I was in for a day of walking through a hot and muggy campus but it ended up being lots of indoor meetings. I quickly adjusted for day two :)</p>

<p>For the most part UA is trying to impress the students and their families, not the other way around. At the same time, you are making a first impression with some people you may meet with later on campus. My suggestion would be to wear something that looks good on you, but doesn’t seem too tacky or too formal, eg not a swimsuit or a business suit. On the West Coast, this would probably mean a nice shirt and a pair of darker jeans without holes or maybe some longer length khaki shorts (this works for both sexes). Other regions may differ.</p>

<p>My suggestion is a cute skirt/top or a casual dress…not too short. When I spoke at both of our events we had all sots of attire but generally boys were in khakis or nice pants with shirts or polos while girls were in dresses mostly. Both events I spoke at were at very nice upscale venues. All parents were in business attire. Yes…UA is trying to impress you, but I will say this…IF you are planning on going through recruitment this is a great place to network. Many of our UA reps are Greek and are more than willing to help with recs…that being said first impressions are everything. So…I would say dress nicely and wear something your are comfortable and confident in. I would not wear shorts if I were a girl…guys can get away with polo type shorts and a nice shirt with sperrys but girls should dress nicer. There is an exception…if you are coming from a sporting event in which you participated then don’t worry about dress…in this instance we found that everyone was very understanding :).</p>

<p>I have been to a few of these events, and I would say that the kids dress nicely. Not suits/ties, but nice clothes that they would wear on a date or to church or something like that.</p>

<p>At the UA reception we attended last month, most everyone was dressed in what I would call smart casual. A very small few were in shorts or jeans, but most of the people wore slacks or a skirt. Nothing too dressy.</p>

<p>I agree with M2ck. Those you will be meeting will be in coats and ties. It isn’t necessary to dress in a suit and tie, but do dress nicely as if you were going to church or to a nice dinner. A polo and nice slacks would be appropriate for a guy. A skirt, dress, or pants and a nice sweater or top would be fine for the ladies. Have fun!</p>

<p>This is of course my opinion, you will meet people who you want to impress; professors, deans, sometimes even higher- ups. If you are interested in programs like UFE or CBH or even others, I would put my best foot forward. I don’t think you need to wear a business suit, but business causal, not jeans, is a preferable choice. Some students will wear school uniforms.</p>

<p>Remember that although you are interviewing the school, they are also looking at you. It is never too early to make a good impression.</p>