UA to Start Construction of New Rec Center

<p>[UA</a> to start construction on new recreation center | TuscaloosaNews.com](<a href=“http://www.tuscaloosanews.com/article/20121126/NEWS/121129852/1007?Title=UA-to-start-construction-on-new-recreation-center]UA”>http://www.tuscaloosanews.com/article/20121126/NEWS/121129852/1007?Title=UA-to-start-construction-on-new-recreation-center)</p>

<p>This will be an additional rec center, not a replacement for the current one. I believe that they have increased the square footage from the original plan. It will still be smaller than the current Rec center (which will be expanded), but will be over 100,000 square feet!</p>

<p>I knew that this was coming but I am glad to see that it will be opening sooner than phase two of Presidential Village. It sounds like the facility will be top notch. I really love the proposed design, the new rec center looks very classic!!!</p>

<p>Roll Tide</p>

<p>*There will be a new climbing wall and a built-in floor hockey rink, but, other than those, the cardio and weight equipment will stay roughly the same.</p>

<p>However, there is a difference in the size of the facilities.</p>

<p>“The current Rec Center is a three-generation add-on,” said Brown “After its being built in 1982, and add-ons in 1992 and 2004, it’s roughly 195,000 square feet. The new Student Center will only be about 114,000 square feet.”</p>

<p>However, Brown said that the amount of facility space that will be dedicated to recreation will more than make up for the reduction in size.*</p>

<p>A hockey rink? how cool is that.</p>

<p>^^^^^^^^^^^Punny^^^^^^^^^^^</p>

<p>I noticed on the page with that article that an ice skating rink has opened at the Transportation Museum in Tuscaloosa (the one they reference for the upcoming rec center is for floor hockey, so no ice.) </p>

<p>Does anyone know if that means that the club hockey team will play locally & not have to go to Birmingham?</p>

<p>The ice skating location at the transportation museum is temporary and not large enough for a hockey match. The ice will be gone by the first week of January.</p>

<p>Oh - I know 2 hs. Kids waiting for an ice rink. Sounds like they must keep waiting. The new rec center looks great.</p>

<p>Sent from my ADR6300 using CC</p>

<p>Will new rec center be closer to the honors dorms?</p>

<p>Update: Oops, just saw that it will be where Rose Towers used to be. Perfect!!!</p>

<p>The new rec center will be part of Presidential Village on the north side of campus. The Student Activities Center will also have the housing main office and (last I heard) a dining facility as well.</p>

<p>Also, just reading the posts above, it’s my understanding from the article that it’s a floor hockey rick, not an ice hockey rink.</p>