UAlabama Class of 2023 ~ Who’s Applied? Who’s Been Accepted?

Student Gender: M

Home State: Massachusetts

Date Applied: 8/10/2018

Date Accepted: 8/13/2018

Have you visited the campus?: April 19, 2018

Major: Public relations

Applying to the Honors College?: No

Career goal(s): No clue!

Any else you’d like to mention: 3.5 uw, 28 ACT

Student Gender: F

Home State: NY

Date Applied: 11/04, but received transcript and scores 11/27

Date Accepted: 11/28

Have you visited the campus?: Not yet but planning to

Major: Accounting

Applying to the Honors College?: Maybe

Any else you’d like to mention: I didn’t get an acceptance email, I just noticed that my application status was “decision made” and that it was “admitted.” Will I get one?

Home State: NJ

Date Applied: 11/21/2018

Date Accepted: 11/30/2018

Have you visited the campus?: Not Yet

Major: Business Management

Applying to the Honors College?: Yes

Career goal(s): Management in the Healthcare Industry

Any else you’d like to mention: 3.75 GPA, 33 ACT

Question: For those that received OOS Merit and Honors College Acceptance, how were you notified and how long did it take?

The portal with acceptance was yesterday, received email today. Nothing in the mail yet.

My son applied

Home State:FL

Date Applied: 9/13

Date Accepted: 9/25

Have you visited the campus?: N

Major: Finance

Applying to the Honors College?: Y

Career goal(s): Finance related

SAT 1430 ACT 31

GPA: 4.88 W, 4.0 UW

@baseballmom25 - Have you joined the FB group “The University of Alabama Parent Group”? They can answer a lot of questions. I have a sophomore and have avoided parents weekend because of the crowds but others like it.

Update: I received the UA Scholar Merit Scholarship! Also, I found out that I qualify for the honors college. Should I apply? What are people’s thoughts on the UA Honors College?

@emmaolsen29 how were you notified that you received the merit scholarship? My son applied and was accepted to the Honors College. It looks to be a very well rounded program and you can make it as challenge as you want or have the balance of college life.

I was confused on how people were hearing about their automatic merit aid and I hadn’t yet even though my scores and grades qualified me, so I called the Admissions office and asked them and they told me which scholarship I received! My scholarship letter was mailed yesterday so I should be receiving it soon.

Student Gender: Female

Home State: SC

Date Applied: 9/20/18

Date Accepted: 10/25/18

Have you visited the campus?: No

Major: Nursing

Applying to the Honors College?: No

Career goal(s): Obtain her RN degree, then possibly proceed to Physicians Asst studies

Any else you’d like to mention: She applied for the Fall 2019 semester but her letter states Spring 2019 Semester. She is a Senior graduating this month (early graduate). I’m thinking this is an error since the other paperwork indicates her enrollment would be for Fall. Haven’t worried too much since Bama is lower on her list of college choices but guess we should contact them. Anyone else have this problem?

Home State: Georgia

Date Applied: 11/29

Date Accepted: 12/2

Have you visited the campus?: Not yet, but soon

Major: Biology (Pre-Medicine)

Applying to the Honors College?: Possibly

Career goal(s): M.D.

Anyone who has applied to the Honors College, what did you write your essay on? Additionally, is the Honors College more of a holistic review or automatic admission?

Home state: Tennessee

Date Applied: 12/14

Date Accepted:

Have you visited the campus: not yet!

Major: Mechanical Engineering

Applying to the Honors College?: yes!

Career goal(s): Entrepreneurship

GPA: 4.1

ACT: 30

i just applied!! getting all my ducks in a row for my scholarships and stuff now :slight_smile:

For those asking about aid. I applied, was admitted about a week later then 3 days after that, I got a letter in the mail. The letter said I was awarded their Presidential scholarship. It was just based off of my ACT score (34). I have also applied for scholarships but have not checked in on that

Student Gender: F

Home State: New York

Date Applied: 10/23/2018

Date Accepted: 10/25/2018

Have you visited the campus?: No

Major: Chemical Engineering

Applying to the Honors College?: Yes and admitted

Career goal(s): Biomedical Engineer

Any else you’d like to mention: 4.0 UW, 33 ACT, Presidential Scholarship, lots of EC’s but they don’t look at them

Hi - quick question - has anyone been rejected? The acceptance rate on Niche indicates a fairly low acceptance rate, (53%) and I realize that some people may not choose to post the rejections, but I was curious about whether that acceptance rate is correct considering how fast they turn around decisions and the number of acceptances posted here, especially when I compare to the boards of some of the other colleges we are considering where there are plenty of deferrals and rejections…PS my S was accepted back in Sept and just trying to make a final decision…

@2023collbound
Bama is not a selective and competitive institution and that acceptance rate I don’t think is accurate. Everyone I know that applied to Bama got in. Students who couldn’t get into their dream more competitive and highly prestigious state schools (UT Austin, UFlorida, Georgia Tech, UCLA, UNC Chapel Hill) pack up and go to Bama many times.

Bama does a great job of baiting students with high test scores/GPAs with huge scholarships that the popular “Public Ivies” don’t need to do and can’t do (almost every student would have a scholarship). Trust me, Bama would cut back on generosity soon if the university wants to go build up its endowment. Too many students have the resources to score well on the ACT/SAT nowadays and its costing Bama too much. Scholarships should be reserved for the most intriguing and ambitious students, not students just with high test scores/GPAs and nothing else intriguing about them

I’ve wondered about the acceptance rate myself. Checked my kid’s naviance and there are a few Bama rejections, but those kids had extremely low stats … probably not ready for college work at all.

@NuScholar

[quote]
Too many students have the resources to score well on the ACT/SAT nowadays and its costing Bama too much. Scholarships should be reserved for the most intriguing and ambitious students, not students just with high test scores/GPAs and nothing else intriguing about them.[\quote]

The numbers from both the ACT and Collegeboard don’t bear this out. The highest scholarships go to the top 2-3% of test scores. Alabama does not superscore, while many of the elite colleges do. That 1500 SAT and 36 ACT might be multiple attempts and the best sections from each attempt. It’s far rarer for a student to get the high score at a single sitting. A lot of the kids who get the Presidential, Presidential Elite, and NMS packages at Alabama also receive big scholarships at more competitive schools. Many choose Alabama over that more prestigious school because they can afford Alabama. Alabama gets the top notch students in their programs, and they will in turn get good jobs and remember Alabama’s generosity when they start their working lives.

Alabama’s Alumni association donates a huge amount of money to the college. So it appears that their strategy is a good one. Bring in top students who then love their alma mater, and then they continue to donate.

Yes, many are rejected.

College Confidential is not a good representative sample as those who post generally have much better than average stats.

Also, Bama often doesn’t reject a student until after the last test dates have passed, to give more time for a low stats student to bring up his/her score. Also may ask for Fall semester grades if GPA was an issue.

What does any of this have to do with making a final decision?? Unless your child is choosing an easy major, how would any of this affect him??

What is your child’s major?

The 2017-18 admission rate was 56%. (I think the 2016-17 admission rate was 53%, but I didn’t take the time to look it up.) It’s pretty easy to verify this stuff if you just go to any college’s common data set and do the calculation. Here’s UA’s most recent one:

http://oira.ua.edu/new/reports/5a6645abd7005c7c3be281b6

@NuScholar “trust” you? Why exactly?

Unless you have some proof that UA is misreporting their admission stats, you should really stop making unsubstantiated claims. For some reason, you believe you know better how to run the university than their administration does. They were just designated a top doctoral research university by the Carnegie Foundation, so clearly they’re doing something right.

https://www.bizjournals.com/birmingham/news/2018/12/19/ua-recognized-by-carnegie-foundation-for-research.html

All this “everybody from my high school got in” stuff is purely anecdotal. I’m not sure what is so hard to understand about that.