UAlabama, UAH, or UAB

Which of Alabama’s campuses–Tuscaloosa, Birmingham, or Huntsville–would be best for a mechanical/aerospace engineering undergrad?

The best for engineering internship and job opportunities?

Either Tuscaloosa or UAH
What are your stats? Are you instate?

33 ACT, 3.81 GPA
OOS

UA is a college town with big college opportunities and activities on campus. UA has a diverse Honors College with opportunities for very select and some larger honors programs.

UAH offers a lot with engineering/STEM, but Huntsville is a mid-sized city and UAH is a relatively small campus, but not tiny. Huntsville has a lot of co-op and internship/pt work opportunities with one of the largest ‘hot spots’ for engineering (in our home we call it engineering mecca).

UA is more expensive with housing - there are a lot of wealthy kids that go to school there, and many off campus apts offer a lot of amenities at a price.

One needs to weigh out what one is looking for. Will find other students that are ‘like you’ at either campus. They both offer the team competitions in various engineering/science disciplines.

UAH is often called ‘university at home’ with some of the local students. There are high stat kids in Huntsville area that save money living at home. I have talked to parents/kids that say UAH is their ‘dream school’ for a variety of reasons.

If your home area has companies that handle co-op or internship, sometimes students find their own opportunities. My DD did - she is at UA, and has had two great civil eng internships - one where family lives, and one at home over the summer.

Since you’re OOS, I think Bama would be best for you. UAH and UAB are mostly instate students. It can be an issue for OOS when the instate students go home on weekends or commute.

At Bama, half the students are OOS.

This just posted on UA facebook -

UA College of Engineering
4 hrs ·
Who should attend NASA Days at UA Nov. 2-3?

All UA College of Engineering students, faculty and staff are welcome to join participants from NASA’s Marshall Space Flight Center, along with numerous industry partners, to learn about the exciting internship, co-op and full-time employment opportunities available with these growing companies. #NASADaysAtUA #UAEngineering #RollTide

Marshall Space Flight Center is the NASA branch located on Redstone Arsenal, Huntsville AL.