UC additional comments

<p>This may sound like a really stupid question but…</p>

<p>Is the additional comments section on the UC app supposed to be an essay, or just some statements on what you would like them to know?</p>

<p>Thanks</p>

<p>From my understanding, it doesn’t necessarily have to be a formal essay but you can write one if you like. The additional comments section is there for you to answer any questions you wish the answer for the UCs. For example, if you have a high average math class grade, but one semester you got a C, you could use the box to explain what happened.</p>

<p>It is really key if you might qualify for some of the categories that add points to your admission scores for UCs you care about. For example, some UCs give points for regional or national achievements - someone who won first place in a national violin competition might enter it in the additional comments or in the essay, particularly if there is no obvious place in the rest of the app. Same for hardships as well. </p>

<p>First yoiu have to know what the UC cares about, then put your best case for points for any categories that may apply to you.</p>

<p>Additional comments has been traditionally used for explaining “gaps in education” and other hardships. I would be careful what you write in there. If you got a C in a class and said you were overwhelmed with life, well, life happens to everyone. It might look bad that you are trying to make excuses for your poor performance. I think most if not all achievements and/or obstacles can be thoroughly explained in the two main essays.</p>

<p>Use it sparingly for anything you deem important for admission, but is not listed anywhere else on your application</p>