UC Admissions

<p>Ok a UC officer visited my school and told us that UCs actually start the admission process in DECEMBER!!! The senior year policy has been a concern for a lot of us but apparently they only care about the rigor of our schedule and not so much about our 1st/2nd semester grades unless they were below 3.0 unweighted GPA total. So basically the acceptance leter is held off till march O.o.</p>

<p>ANy thoughts on this? </p>

<p>BTW apparently some of the UCs send emails at this time as hints that you got in. Like invitations to seminars etc. How accurate is this? Ive gotten 3 emails from UC berkeley and my friend thinks im in for sure since he explained how everyone that got cerain emails got in and how those who didnt get em got rejected. Is this true?</p>

<p>sure, they may START reviewing in december but i highly doubt they come to a final decision in a month, considering the sheer number of applicants. also, if your claims were true, then why would they consider december sat scores, which wouldn't arrive to them until mid-january in some cases?</p>

<p>Cuz they require that you let them know ur taking it in december and therefore set your application aside is just what i heard. Same thing when you wanna change something on your app, they set it aside to a different pile.</p>

<p>Here's one several people got</p>

<p><a href="http://talk.collegeconfidential.com/university-california-berkeley/448959-so-uhh-anyone-else-get-ucb-math-science-engineering-coalition-email.html%5B/url%5D"&gt;http://talk.collegeconfidential.com/university-california-berkeley/448959-so-uhh-anyone-else-get-ucb-math-science-engineering-coalition-email.html&lt;/a&gt;&lt;/p>

<p>Yeah but did they all get in? that was last year. Apparently whoever got it last year got in.... seems odd</p>

<p>oh wait nvm that post is this years. But last year thats what happened...</p>

<p>Yeah, I am curious as well. I got an e-mail from UCLA encouraging me to apply for a freshman scholarship for the school even though I haven't even been accepted yet.
At the end of the e-mail though, it expressedly said it was no indicator of admissions decisions and simply coincidence that the scholarship deadline was before the official decisions are sent out. So I guess in theory you could apply for this scholarship and not even make it into the school.</p>

<p>i got 2 e-mails form UCI and 1 from every other UC i applied. </p>

<p>How true is this e-mail stuff</p>

<p>well everyone gets the FIRST letter confirming they got the app etc etc. But we are talking about ones that give you hints that you got in. When they confirm we are math,science majors....... how did they know if they had no affiliation with the admissions office?</p>

<p>bump******************</p>

<p>The apps are due Nov 30, so yes, admissions begins reviewing files in early Dec. No, receiving e-mails alerting you to (Alumni?) scholarships or local seminars is not any indication that you are in -- they send the same e-mail to every applicant for which they have an e-mail address. With all the great finaid being offered by highly selective private schools, the UCs just want to make sure that you don't miss out on any money available to attend their campus should you be accepted. And, of course, the local Alumni clubs want to show you their spirit.</p>

<p>In March, UCLA Engineering does jump the official letter date and invites all acceptees to a Eng Day on campus; I guess they want to get a head start over Cal Eng. I also think that Riverside, and a couple of other campuses, send ELC apps an early letter that basically says you are in if you complete all eligibility requirements.</p>

<p>
[quote]
not so much about our 1st/2nd semester grades unless they were below 3.0 unweighted GPA total.

[/quote]
</p>

<p>That's the general UC requirements (though I think it's a 3.0 UC GPA). However, for the top UCs, there have been cases where students just dropped precipitously and their admission was rescinded (or they were "put on probation"), though their GPA was above a 3.0. Also, the offer made in March is a provisional decision pending your transcript to be sent by July 15th.</p>

<p>I got the UCB seminar letter too! But I am SO sure I didn't get into Berkeley..</p>

<p>What is the UCB seminar letter? Why would they send it to you if you didn't get in?</p>

<p>i didn't receive an a e-mail to attend any UC seminar. then again, i do live in ny. did anyone oos receive one?</p>

<p>I have no clue...... i dunno why i should go if im not in yet</p>

<p>It was only an email.</p>

<p>No they also send you a letter…Rumor has it if you get this email or a letter from UCB youre in.DID anyone get the email and not get into UCB ?</p>