UC alternate majors

<p>So what exactly does the alternate major on the UC application do? I saw that Berkeley is the only one that doesn’t have it, but LA and SD both have alternate majors.
Can you put impacted majors for both main and alternate majors?</p>

<p>
[quote]
Within the College of Letters and Science, the major an applicant chooses is not a factor in the review process at the freshman level. UCLA does not normally consider the alternate choices of applicants who applied to majors in the other schools (Engineering, Arts, etc.).
UCLA</a> Undergraduate Admissions & Relations with Schools: FAQ - Freshman Applicants

[/quote]
You can look at the FAQ for other schools to find their policy</p>

<p>Thank you for the link.
But if I apply to a major in the school of engineering and select an alternate major in the college of letters and science, and if I were to get rejected from the engineering major, can I still get into my alternate major in the college of letters and science since it's less competitive?</p>

<p>You should post this in the UC General forum; maybe UCDAdmissions will reply with some help. My daughter last year said the UC Davis info session said to put a second major from a totally different area (e.g. engineering then a second choice from Liberal Arts, for example).</p>

<p>thanx for the advice i'll try that</p>

<p>When I applied to UCD, I picked a major from College of Engineering as my first choice, and a major from College of BioSci as my second choice. I got accepted w/ my second choice (and I'm really glad!). My grades were nowhere at Engineering standards (I had no idea at the time) so I think making a second choice major in a different area definitely helps your chances of getting admitted..</p>