UC and SAT/ACT scores

<p>Okay, so I’m sure a ton of people have already asked this, but I really need to know. So I’ve taken the SAT’s several times and I’ve realized it’s just not the test for me. I took the ACT last month and scored a 29, which is way higher than my highest SAT score (1780). I’m basically aiming for UCSB, Davis, Irvine, SC, SD. Do UC’s really weight the SAT and ACT the same? Because my ACT score is much higher than my SAT, so will they just take my ACT score??</p>

<p>bumpppppppppp</p>

<p>Doesn’t matter. They take your highest ACT or SAT score, they are seen the same.</p>

<p>Yes! D scored higher on her ACT and we believe those scored were used for admission to Cal, UCLA, UCSB, Davis and UCSD since they were listed first under the Scores sections of each schools admissions page.</p>

<p>Yes they will use either. But they will see your SAT score when you submit Subject Test scores unless you use Score Choice.</p>

<p>Okay, thanks everyone! </p>

<p>But what exactly is score choice?</p>

<p>Score choice is that new option that allows you to easily withhold certain grades from colleges. Some colleges frown upon it, so you might not want to touch it.</p>

<p>any1can, do the student’s test scores (ACT & SAT) appear in the application status so that we can check for the correctness BEFORE the decision time? We really want to make sure uc DOES receive and use her ACT since DD’s ACT is higher like your daughter’s.

</p>

<p>

</p>

<p>Doesn’t matter in what order you list them on the app. The UC computer in Oakland adds scores as they arrive. Thus, a retake of say Math 2 will be listed first, even if the score is lower than the first take. ALL scores submitted are shown on the UC electronic report for the app reader to see. Actually, you can see the report yourself once the app is submitted and the processing center is done. A campus will send you log-in info to check the status of teh app, and those campuses that use the central processor in Oakland will give you access to the Test Scores page that the app reader will see.</p>

<p>Actually blue that was not our experience this year as far as all scores being listed on the application status website. It was interesting (09/10 cycle) as some of the schools only listed D’s highest scores, not all of them as they had done with my previous two kids. I had to double check paperwork and check ACT and Collegeboard to make sure scores were sent before D realized only the highest scores (single sitting) were posted on her applicant website. I am sure the app reader had access to all scores but only the highest ones were listed. UCLA and Davis come to mind offhand. Did anyone else have that experience?</p>

<p>^^I had issues last year regarding score reporting, and went up through the organization searching for correct answers, and was told quite clearly (and given a fax of the report) that: “ALL scores submitted are shown on the UC electronic report for the app reader to see.” However, I will admit I did not check with Davis since my D was ELC.</p>

<p>Several campuses subscribe to the “central processor” which accepts and posts all scores. UC is trying to move towards requiring only one test report for all campuses, but they ain’t there yet. Thus, some GC’s have “heard” that students only have to send one set of scores and they will be shared among campuses, as the UC common application is shared. Of course, they hear that from their “local” UC campus, but UCLA or Cal might not subscribe, so its still best to send scores to all.</p>

<p>Incidentally, the UC computer also calculates three gpa’s: unweighted, weighted-capped, and weighted-uncapped, as well as a “rank” of gpa’s by high school for those that apply to UC. The latter is particularly interesting bcos officially UC does not use “rank” as an admissions critieria. Hmmmmmm</p>

<p>blue, do the applicants get the access to the gpa as well as SAT&ACT in the application status website?</p>

<p>the gpa’s were on the page that they faxed to me…It would make sense that UC would calc all of them – they obviously have the data. The UC gpa is required for admission purposes. Weighted-uncapped gpa is is required for ELC. </p>

<p>UCSB used to rank order all applicants from the same HS, so they would need the weighted, uncapped gpa. (Dunno if UCSB still ranks them by HS.) SD uses its point system, so needs the same. Once a preliminary list of acceptances is approved, Cal (ad I believe UCLA) goes back to see if there were any top gpa’s by HS that were “missed” for another read. Thus, they need uncapped as well.</p>

<p>hey bluebayou, sorry but for clarification, the UC (8-point max from ap/hn) gpa is only used for admission/ELC calculation but not actual admission? meaning that the uncapped weighted gpa is the gpa considered for admission? ive taken 12 ap/hn and it sucks to learn that i wont get credit for taking all of them.</p>

<p>sorry for the horrid grammar, at a school computer where time is tight :P</p>

<p>

</p>

<p>Yes (to admission eligibility). No (to ELC which uses uncapped gpa).</p>

<p>^^Hi! Do the SAT/ACT scores have to reach before Nov 30th? Thanks.</p>

<p>UC will accept scores from the Dec tests, so scores don’t have to get there by Nov 30.</p>