UC App Essays

question 1:
For UC Essay #5: Describe the most significant challenge you have faced and the steps you have taken to overcome this challenge. How has this challenge affected your academic achievement?

Is it okay if I write about acne? I had really really bad acne. I’m not sure how to write about how it affected my academic achievement except that I didn’t want to go to school at first. Is it okay if I just write a sentence just to address the question or should I write more.

Question 2:
for #8: Beyond what has already been shared in your application, what do you believe makes you stand out as a strong candidate for admissions to the University of California?

is it bad to talk about perseverance? I was going to talk about how I have a lot of self-control and if I say I’m on a diet, then there’s no cheat days at all.

My personal opinion is that you should choose another PIQ instead of #5.

@lkg4answers Why???

@Pinkeydance The prompt specifically asks how it impacted your academic performance. If you can’t answer the prompt, it is best not to choose that PIQ.

Below the prompt it goes into more detail about what you should include: "A challenge could be personal, or something you have faced in your community or school. Why was the challenge significant to you? This is a good opportunity to talk about any obstacles you’ve faced and what you’ve learned from the experience. Did you have support from someone else or did you handle it alone?

If you’re currently working your way through a challenge, what are you doing now, and does that affect different aspects of your life? For example, ask yourself, “How has my life changed at home, at my school, with my friends or with my family?”

Can you answer the questions that are below the prompt?

@lkg4answers If I write about how I didn’t want to go to school for an amount of time does that count? Or like I wouldn’t go anywhere because of my acne?

@Pinkeydance I’m a senior so don’t take what I write to seriously, but I think that writing about how you don’t want to go to school would be a bad idea. If it was a medical problem and you HAD to stay home from school and struggled with academics because of it, maybe that would work?

@nomood I added something about how I didn’t want to go to school because I was very self-conscious and I wasn’t confident in anything and my face hurts when I’m in class so It was hard for me to focus.

I mean, even so, writing about how you don’t want to go to school probably isn’t the best idea. Maybe just talk about how you were self conscious and how you were able to gain confidence in yourself, but leave out the part where you didn’t want to go to school. Just say that it affected your academic and social life, but don’t say how.

@nomood ok thank you!

You’re welcome, but it’s already Thursday, how are you going to finish an essay by Saturday?