UC Application Discussion Fall 2023 and new extended Submission period

Yes, you are correct with both.

Do both parents have to live in CA all years until graduation, after the student is admitted to Ucs?

1. Are you currently a CA resident?
  2. Will your student graduate from a CA High school?

My understanding is that if a student graduates from a California HS and attends a UC, they will continue to receive in-state tuition even if the parent or parents move out of state.

I would still confirm with the school your student will be attending.

Here is what the UC Residence Policy states:

Parent of Minor Who Moves from California - A Minor Student whose Parent moves from California to establish residence elsewhere will be entitled to a Resident Classification if the Minor Student remains in California and enrolls full time in a post-secondary institution within one year of the date that the Parent establishes a new residence. The Studentā€™s Resident Classification will continue as long as the Student maintains continuous full-time attendance at the post-secondary institution. Financial Independence will not be required. Requirements:
ā€¢ The Parent must have qualified as a California resident for tuition purposes immediately prior to departure.
ā€¢ The Parent must have established a residence elsewhere during the Studentā€™s minority and within one year immediately prior to the Studentā€™s University enrollment.
ā€¢ With the exception of short absences, the Student must have remained in California on a continuous basis prior to admission to a UC campus.
ā€¢ The Student must maintain continuous full-time enrollment at a post-secondary institution. If Student has enrolled in more than one post-secondary institution, all such attendances must amount to continuous and full-time enrollment.

Great, thank you.

Yes my daughter is attending school in CA (10th, 11th, 12th), I would like to move out to east coast due to my job once she settles in (provided she is admitted). Both me and my husband are in CA since her 10th grade.

If you are CA residents, then the policy I quoted above should apply. I would still contact the UC your daughter ends up attending to confirm but it looks like she will get in-state tuition all 4 years if you move after she enrolls and attends.

Here is another discussion that may pertain to your situation:

Thanks a ton Gumbymom, will refer to this discussion.

At UC, 3 or higher gets credit units. However, subject credit and advanced placement depend on the campus and major. In many cases, a 4 or 5 is needed for subject credit and advanced placement, or the AP score does not fulfill them.

Also, UC policy is that if you take a college course covering the material represented by an AP score, you do not get credit for both. For example, you would not be able to keep the credit for both AP calculus and calculus 1 in college.

1 Like

Three years of high school attendance in California plus high school graduation in California also qualifies for AB540 exemption of non-resident tuition, even if the student does not otherwise qualify as a California resident, unless the student is on a non-immigrant visa: https://admission.universityofcalifornia.edu/tuition-financial-aid/tuition-cost-of-attendance/ab-540-nonresident-tuition-exemption.html

2 Likes

Dd took AP Latin in 7th grade and received a 4. Will UC accept this for language requirement? She has taken other languages but not through her school; more individualized learning, so it wouldnā€™t count towards foreign language.

1 Like

You need to check each individual UC campus for their specific AP credit. A score of 4 will get her credit but may not fulfill some major specific requirements.

https://admission.universityofcalifornia.edu/admission-requirements/ap-exam-credits/ap-credits/

1 Like

With over 200K applications, the UC application portal is notorious for crashing the week of Nov 30.

If your student hasnā€™t already submitted their application, encourage them to wrap it up and submit this week.

2 Likes

Subject requirement (A-G) | UC Admissions says that a 3 or higher fulfills the language other than English frosh admission requirement. However, you may want to ask directly to be sure that an exam taken while in 7th grade counts.

For a college foreign language graduation requirement, check the specific campus (it may also vary by division at the campus).

1 Like

Question for the UC experts.

The app makes a big deal about mimicking the official transcript exactly. It also has you select whether your get grades by quarter, semester or the full year. Between those two facts, that creates a conundrum.

My student took a summer school course offered by the school after freshman year. On the transcript the school chose to show it as a Freshman year course with nothing that denoted it was a summer course. However, the course only received half as many units as a full year course. But since the school only releases and counts full course grades and not semester grades, and the app has nothing for HS grades that denote units received, thereā€™s no way to differentiate that the course was worth only half as much as a full year course.

So does he list it as a summer course despite that contradicting the transcript or does he list it as a Freshman year course even though that will make it seem like a full year grade?

Thanks.

Was it an A-G course? Our D23 had a similar situation, but it was not an A-G so she listed it in the activities section as ā€œOther Coursework.ā€ It is also on her transcript, though not in the freshman year section. My hunch is that itā€™s probably not a big deal if you donā€™t list it exactly as they want it - there are always going to be exceptions as transcripts are not all the same.

p.s. for sure NOT a UC expert hereā€¦ :sweat_smile:

Since itā€™s OOS itā€™s not an official A-G course, but it is the equivalent of a G - History / Social Studies course. Heā€™s going to list it, we just donā€™t know if he should list it as summer or as 9th grade.

Ah sorry, did not know it was OOS. Again, no expert, but fwiw my hunch would be to list it as summer, with an explanation as to its placement on the transcript (under Freshman year) and its weight (half credit) at the end of the section. This feels like the ā€˜safestā€™ way to be in line with the instructions. I certainly donā€™t think it would be disqualifying if you provide an explanation as to both. But this is for sure a tough one. Do his school counselors have any suggestions based on previous student applications?

If it is not designated as a Summer course on the transcript, put it under 9th grade with NO for Fall semester and the grade for Spring semester.

I am assuming it is not an AP/ IB or DE course that would garner an extra Honors point and he only got 1 grade for the course?

Also put a comment in the Academic section it was taken the summer after 9th but HS transcript shows the course under 9th grade.

Thanks. The application doesnā€™t provide any opportunity to differentiate the fall grade from the spring grade. I believe because he correctly answered that the school only provides ā€œfull termā€ grades that it causes the form to dynamically only offer one grade input. Thatā€™s what started the conundrum. The application creators didnā€™t seem to contemplate a scenario where a school doesnā€™t offer semester grades on full year classes but does still have some one semester classes.