UC Application Discussion Fall 2023 and new extended Submission period

If a student is ELC statewide and local, only 1 ELC designation will show up on the UC application after submission. Some HS’s will notify the students that are ELC local but not all. Also not all HS’s participate in the Local ELC.

That makes perfect sense. Naviance indicated the 9% school wide too, and we had received an email identifying my student as top15% in the school. So i was confused. I didnt realize 2 categories existed to be honest. Thanks for your response.

1 Like

Good morning! This may not be in the right forum, but I have a quick question. Will UC admission decisions list a provisional determination of residency? Or does residency decision come after admission? And if it comes after, can we get the determination by May 1st? Thank you!

Normally residency is determined upon submission of the UC application. When a student is accepted by a UC campus and then enrolls, the Statement of Legal Residency is submitted with the intent to register.

This is from the UC counselor conference:

This year, the application includes updated questions about students’ residence for tuition purposes. The questions are largely the same as in prior years but have been moved earlier in
the application process. UCOP worked with campus Registrars and Residence Deputies to refine the questions so that residency will be determined for most students at the time of admission. This will benefit students by making sure they know their residency status, and thus have clear expectations of their tuition obligation, earlier in the process.

1 Like

Thank you. Our primary concern is getting a residency determination by May 1st so we are able to know one way or another by the deadline to commit.

I completely understand so hopefully residency will be determined once admitted. I remember you were asked by UCSD to submit additional paperwork regarding residency.

1 Like

I was just going to say the same thing. You might reach out to UCSD and ask about the information you submitted.

Thank you both. Unfortunately, I can’t get a hold of anyone - tried several times. The other issue is - UCSD is the only campus that already had us fill out the SLR and provide supporting docs. No other campus has, so it begs the question - how long will it take the others to process should our son get admission.

1 Like

Decisions come out in March so you have a month to 1 1/2 months to hopefully get this taken care of by the May 1 deadline.

Does anyone know if the UC’s can see the actual class rank of the student? My daughters in-state school went non-ranking this year. The school/counselor report placed her in the top quartile based on the school profile/report that they send in the common app.

She just received notice from the principal that she’s ranked #2 out of her class of 650 (for upcoming class graduation). Just curious, if the UC’s can see her actual class rank? Is it worth it or even an option to update the UC’s on her more detailed class rank now?

UC’s do not consider class rank except for ELC eligibility for in-state applicants.

How do the UC’s know about ELC eligibility? My son has got ELC letter from UC but he hasn’t mentioned anywhere in his application about ELC.

Does UC admission officer come to know that he has ELC eligibility without being mentioned in application??

ELC eligibility will be listed on the application after submission. Go back into the UC application and check at the bottom of the application.

After submitting a UC application, students from ELC-participating schools can view the Application Status section of My UC Application to see whether they have been designated as being in the top 9 percent of their class. All students who attend ELC-participating schools will be notified of their status.

Yes, AO’s are aware of your ELC status which is one of the 13 areas of UC application review criteria.

Hi gumbymom, my question is OT.

does the UC system give student credit if the student got 4 or 5 score in the AP test?

TIA

1 Like

It depends on the test (subject), the school they attend and their major.

For the most part, you can Google “UCX AP test credit” and find the chart for that university. For example, “UCLA AP test credit” will bring you to this page. For UCSD, it depends on which college they are admitted into.

Scores of 3,4 and 5 on AP tests can get credit for classes at the UC’s but it is campus dependent.

This is general overview of UC AP credit policies but you need to check each campus since AP credit may not be given to classes required by some majors.

https://admission.universityofcalifornia.edu/admission-requirements/ap-exam-credits/ap-credits/

1 Like

ikg4answers and gumbymon thank you for the helpful info.

Go into the UC application and click on, “view how your application is reviewed.” ELC status will be listed there.

I just checked . It says " You rank in the top 9 percent of California high school students, based on your A-G course totals, UC GPA and our [admissions index )

Is this the ELC ? Just curious

1 Like

This is a description of statewide eligibility, not ELC. However, if you have both ELC and statewide eligibility, it seems that only one type of eligibility shows up on the UC application… at least that’s what people have been reporting here. @Gumbymom is that correct?