UC Application Discussion Fall 2023 and new extended Submission period

I’m not sure about it. My son got ELC notification from school

Ok, that’s consistent with what other people are saying, then. Local eligibility is not showing up because he also has statewide eligibility. In either case, he’s eligible for the guarantee. :slight_smile:

I guess this is State Wide 9%. For current high school ELC:

“You rank in the top 9 percent of your graduating class according to UC calculations. We refer to this as “Eligibility in the Local Context” or ELC. If you meet the minimum admission requirements and aren’t admitted to any UC campus to which you applied, you will be offered a spot at another campus if space is available. For more information about ELC, visit the "Local Path"opens in new tab page on UC’s admission website.”

Yes, only 1 type of top 9% eligibility will show up on the UC Application. Both have the same UC campus guarantee.

1 Like

Given that ELC is one of the admissions criteria that (some? all?) list that they consider, do we think the campuses view statewide/local eligibility as equivalent as they are reading applications? In other words, I know either will get you a guarantee admission to Merced if you need it, but does it count the same in terms of whether or not it meets the criteria for giving a boost to your application at UCSB, UCSC, UCLA etc.?

ELC criteria is part of the 13 areas of application review by the UC’s. All data that I have seen regarding ELC and admit rates does not differentiate between Local and Statewide. This study from 2018-2020 regarding ELC states the following:

Over 80 percent of applicants with ELC status also meet the statewide index, which is currently based on a combination of GPA and standardized test scores calibrated to identify the top nine percent of students in the state.

Of course test scores are no longer used for statewide eligibility.

Since ELC is one of the comprehensive review factors approved for selecting students, and ELC applicants represent the highest academically achieving students, they understandably represent the majority of the admitted class each year on most campuses. This is most evident at the campuses with the lowest rates of admission.

Each UC campus determines how much of an impact ELC will have in their application review which is an unknown.

1 Like

Thank you — that’s .

Edited to add: I think one of the points of confusion for me on this topic is that the criteria generally list ELC which by its title refers to the “local” eligibility, but the system does seem to maybe treat them interchangeably. Unclear that one is “better” than the other (probably not!) – would really depend on your school. In some cases the statewide eligibility may be harder to earn than the local one; in others, the opposite. And who knows how they decide which one shows up in your applicant portal if you have both.

a glimmer of hope for in state applicants

2 Likes

With the “steep drop” in international applicants, I wonder if this will open more doors for OOS students. Or maybe this will make up for the governor’s 900 UCB/LA/SD’s in-state seats.

Seems unlikely (at least at some of the schools) given that they are also materially reducing the number of OOS and International people they admit as a ratio of the total class. From the same article:

UCLA, UC San Diego and UC Berkeley are again planning to swap out about 900 nonresident students, giving those seats to Californians, under a deal with Newsom.

The stats from 2022 show a sudden and dramatic drop in the acceptance rate for OOS for some of the UCs, when they first started implementing the changes.

1 Like

Yes, but looking at it from an OOS’ viewpoint, if there’s less competition from international applicants, it would hopefully tip the favor for OOS. In other words, even with the decline in 900 seats at UCB/LA/SD, we’re hoping for a less competition for the outsider pool. But this is all just hoping on my part (we’re CA residents but my D23 had to compete as OOS this year).

It seems like the slight reduction in OOS and Interactional applications is unlikely to outweigh the reduction in admits for those cohorts.

1 Like

@Gumbymom and others, Apologies if this was answered in other threads.
I am looking for tentative dates by each UC when they will announce their RD results (or based on past years, forecasted dates).

The only UC campus that has confirmed a date is UCB for March 30.

UCLA has historically posted decisions on the 3rd Friday of March which would be March 17 ( not confirmed).

None of the other campuses have given specific dates and last year only UCSB besides UCB stated a specific decision date but no date has been confirmed yet.

2022 Decision dates:
UCB: Early admits on Feb 11, 2022. All other decisions on March 24.
UCLA: Friday March 18 at 5 PM PST.
UCSD: Friday March 18 around 4:30 PST
UCSB: March 22, 2022 around 2:15 PM PST
UCI: CHP admits March 11, 2022. The rest of the Decisions on March 18, 2022.
UCD: Friday March 11, 2022
UCSC: 1st Wave starting Friday February 25th. 2nd Wave March 15th.
UCR: Rolling Waves starting March 2, 2022
UCM: Rolling Waves starting March 1, 2022

3 Likes

This might be a question for @Gumbymom or one of the other posters most knowledgeable about UC admissions…

With respect to the UC Application itself, if a student’s heart is set on just one specific UC campus (say, for example, UCLA) and that is the only UC school the student is even interested in applying to, is it considered “bad form” for that student to tailor the PIQ responses to just UCLA?

1 Like

This was our situation - we asked both our high school guidance counselor (who has a lot of experience with UC apps) as well as a person from UCB admissions (when my daughter attended one of their info sessions). Both recommended that we NOT tailor our PIQs to a particular campus. While that doesn’t make a ton of sense to me, that were both very firm with that answer, so we followed their advice.

1 Like

And it worked out just fine, right? :blush:

3 Likes

It did :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I have no inside knowledge at all, and both my kids applied (S21 and D23) wide open to almost all the UCs since our main objective for college has pretty much always been to get them into a UC that we can afford and is hopefully also a fit (and we weren’t sure about fit). But I can report that I listened to a college admissions podcast last week, and I don’t remember exactly which one or which campus, but the AO was very clear that they don’t want to see specific campuses named in the application.

Also they wouldn’t have a way to know that you’ve only applied to one campus, so they might even think you made a mistake that would actually decrease your chances at their one and only campus. Just keep it general to “a UC.”

1 Like

I agree with all the posters that you should not tailor the PIQ essays to a specific school especially since the UC’s do not consider an applicants level of interest.

UCLA does not want to know Why UCLA but wants to see an applicant’s qualities and abilities that would make them an asset to the school.

3 Likes