UC Application Major Unavailable?

I was filling out the UC application today, and the major I desired was closed.
What does this mean for me if I end up being a student at that college?
Would I still be able to declare that major? (I know that usually, majors aren’t officially declared until sophomore or junior year; but essentially, what happens from here?)

Which campus, which major?

It is possible that some majors have been discontinued, but still exist until previously-already-declared students graduate.

It is because you cannot apply to a UC until Nov 1, and then must apply by Nov 30. What you are seeing is information applicable to the entry class of 2016 not 2017. The information relating to majors for next year’s freshman class usually becomes availble by October when most start preparing their apps to submit on Nov 1.

For some majors, you have to finish some Pre-Req’s with a minimum GPA to declare the major. One example is Business Adminstration at UCR. You enter as a Pre-Business major and cannot declare Business Admin until after your Sophomore year and meet the pre-req and GPA requirements.

If you give the information requested by @ucbalumnus, then hopefully posters can answer your questions.

@ucbalumnus For UC Berkeley, I cannot declare the business major under Haas.I know that Haas is a popular college, and business is a very popular major; does this mean so many people have already “declared” business as their major that other applicants can now not declare it on their app?
@drusba I might be mistaken: But I believe the UC App is now available, but it cannot be submitted to schools until Nov. 1. For other UC schools, I am able to select majors (e.g. I was able to select the economics major for UCSD)

Are you a Freshman applicant or transfer?

If you are a Freshman:
Haas School of Business

Open only to junior-level transfer students. Freshmen may apply to the Intending Social Science major in the College of Letters and Science.

Based on your posting history, you are applying as a Freshman to you cannot select Haas Business as an option.

Yes, frosh intending to major in business at UCB apply to some other division (usually Letters and Science). If admitted and enrolled, students must then complete the prerequisites and apply during their (usually) second year to enter the business major. Admission to the business major is competitive.

Junior transfer students apply directly to the business major at UCB.

if you can’t apply to a UC until november 1 and they are due by november 30, how do you prepare your essay?

i’m confused, it is written above, “It is because you cannot apply to a UC until Nov 1, and then must apply by Nov 30. What you are seeing is information applicable to the entry class of 2016 not 2017. The information relating to majors for next year’s freshman class usually becomes availble by October when most start preparing their apps to submit on Nov 1.”,

however, on the website, http://admission.universityofcalifornia.edu/how-to-apply/dates-deadlines/index.html, it says August 1st.

You cannot submit your UC application until Nov 1 but you can still fill it out now and have it ready for submission. Deadline to submit is Nov 30.

The issue with the major unavailable is it seems that OP is trying to apply to the Haas Business school as a Freshman which you cannot do as stated in posts #5 and 6.