UC Application Questions

<p>I have just 3 questions for the UC Application</p>

<ol>
<li><p>My high school has quarter, semester, and year grades; however, for most classes only the year grade counts towards the GPA and usually for electives the semester grade counts towards the GPA. So quarter grades don’t count for anything. When reporting grades in the application, should I report all the quarter grades or only the semester/year grades that count? </p></li>
<li><p>Is there any way that the UC application can know my class rank? (I really want them to know but there seems to be no way to tell them in the app)</p></li>
<li><p>I go to a school in Hawaii that has honor courses that I took. Can I mark these honor courses as “HL” (UC approved Honors Level) in the application? I’m not sure if these courses are UC approved since my school is not in California, but at my school, these courses are officially “honor” courses and I would like to at least get some recognition for that. </p></li>
</ol>

<p>Thank you so much! :D</p>

<ol>
<li><p>You should report your grades the way they appear on your official transcript because that is what the UCs will evaluate your application against in July.</p></li>
<li><p>Additional Comments.</p></li>
<li><p>UCs do not count Honors courses for OOS applicants. You can change the courses to HL, it’ll just annoy the readers a little (you have to decide whether you want to follow the rules or annoy the readers for the sake of pointing out your Honors courses).</p></li>
</ol>

<p>It seems that the UC application does not let me report all grades (quarter/semester/year), so should I just report the year grades?</p>

<p>And I put “Honors” in the official name of the course. Would this be acceptable instead of selecting “HL”?</p>

<p>So your HS transcript lists three sets of grades? That seems excessive. You have to pick one (quarter, semester, or year) and just explain in Additional Comments that you receive grades for quarter, semester, AND year.</p>

<p>It’s up to you what you do about Honors. Like I said, Honors don’t count toward GPA for OOS. Supposedly the readers should “take note” of Honors courses; but when you are reading several hundred applications of highly qualify applicants, the “note” kind of fades into the background.</p>