UC Application Requirements

Hi guys!

I have a 2.95 UC GPA and have received one D in AP Stats. Am I still eligible to apply to UCs? I just do not want to waste time doing the application if I will automatically be screened out. Has anyone got into a UC with lower than a 3.0?

Thank you!

Minimum UC GPA is 3.0 for in-state and 3.4 for OOS to apply. One D will not keep you out, but if you do not meet the minimum GPA, then that will keep you from having your application reviewed.
If you are in-state, consider the CSU’s such as Channel Islands, Stanislaus, Dominguez Hills, San Francisco state, Sac State, Fresno State, San Bernadino etc…

Even if you achieve a 3.0 UC GPA, due to the competitiveness of the UC’s, your chances are slim at all the UC’s except for maybe UC Merced or Riverside.

What are your test scores? HS course rigor?

http://admission.universityofcalifornia.edu/freshman/requirements/gpa-requirement/index.html

You will be screened out, though still eligible for many Cal States. What are your other qualifications?

29 ACT and 2 AP Classes last year.

That’s a solid score, nice work!
Assuming you’ve completed the a-g course list, Cal states use a pretty simple formula to rank applicants. The formula is: CSU GPA200+ACT10 - so your index is 890 which will get you into most majors at all the Cal States except Cal Poly SLO, SDSU and CSULB.

Depending on what you are looking for from college and your field of study - take a look at SJSU, Chico, Sonoma, Perhaps Fullerton, Northridge and CP Pomona too. (though a competitive major may keep you out of those. )

Good Luck

My daughter is in the same situation. She graduated in the top 10% of her HS senior class, messed up her AP Lit class and got a “D”. She was accepted at an impacted CSU but they rescinded admission early in July once they saw the transcripts. She was able to take the another English class and received an A and we are appealing with the updated transcripts.

Now as we await the outcome, I am trying to figure if it would be best if she is not accepted again if:

1. She goes to our local community college and transfer in 2 years.
  2. Don’t go to school and apply for Fall 2017 at one of the less impacted schools.

She has an index of 1062, was accepted at 2 UCs and 3 CSUs back in Spring then royally screwed up her AP Lit class that she always had a B or C throughout 10th, 11th and 12th grade.

I would really like her to go to a 4 year school, especially because she had financial aid available and the CalVet College Fee Waiver.
Any advice?