*UC Berkeley Class of 2025 discussion**

Thank you for letting me know.
My D has exactly same stat as your (3.90UW 4.57W) and got rejected for EECS. Just wonder she should has gone the L&S undeclared route. Sad.

The Stat seems too high to be rejected for L&S. Who know!

I was accepted to the College of L&S, applied under political science!

In-state, public school, first gen. student
UW GPA: 3.94
W GPA: 4.5
12 APā€™s total, so far have gotten three 5s and two 4ā€™s on the tests
State and local piano competition winner/6 years of mock trial/studied abroad twice
(For reference only) ACT: 33

Also accepted at Cal Poly SLO, Wellesley, and got a likely letter from Barnard
Waitlisted at Swarthmore and UCLA

UCs donā€™t yield protect lol. Weā€™ve gone over this so many times :dizzy_face:

6 Likes

very low stats students got in? how low?

Low stats like 3.5 UW, no good extras, bunch of Cs and basically party kids. In her school, all the kids who got UCLA but not UCB regents, none of them got to UCB regular. All waitlisted

None of this is true. lol

1 Like

There is a clear indication that they somehow find all the goodgood students who already got in UCLA and probably good enough not to join UCB are waitlisted.

UCs donā€™t yield protect

6 Likes

Agree 100%. We suspected essays would take on more importance in light of the lack of test scores. My son put in a lot of effort, many rewrites, and in the end they all meshed well to paint a picture of who he is. No doubt they were the game changer as my son is also average academically in the context of Cal applicants - isnā€™t even ELC at his school. We are surprised and thrilled at the acceptance. Heā€™s joining his big sis at Cal!

2 Likes

It is hard to believe they accepted party kids with 3.5s. They must have some other strong qualifications you do not know about. Recruited athletes maybe?

I was in the same boat

Every year UC Berkeley admits (other UCs as well) kids in the range of 3.0 - 4.2+ GPA. Its a range and there is a distribution. there are so many other factors at play in admission decisions. Only the AOs and applications readers have seen the whole picture. Coule be athletes, could be volunteers, could be just an interesting person based on essays that fits the profile they are looking for. Yes high GPA and high scores other academic achievements are strong indicators but it is well known Berkeley admits personalities not just numbers.

4 Likes

My second time asking this but does anyone have an estimate on how many students were waitlisted this yearšŸ„²

Essays are not deciding factor. Somehow, there lots of fantasy stories around essays. Academic credentials are like the main cake, essay is a cherry on the top, but if the cake is not good only a bright cherry on the top wonā€™t cut itā€¦

M daughter similar and also rejected
OOS.
4.0 UW
4.33 W capped
4.42 W uncapped
Good essays, ECs, LORs and worked since 14 years old.
Top 1% (#1 in class at end of junior year - likely valedictorian)
5 APs and 1 honors both this year and last

sports is typically a different categoryā€¦ Cal has pretty strict sports selection processā€¦ Berkeley has 117 Olympic gold, 51 silver and 39 bronze medals in itā€™s recordā€¦ a Pac-12 football team producing a series of NFL playersā€¦ same with basketballā€¦ it ainā€™t easy to get into Cal as an athlete or in sports fieldā€¦

2 Likes

Of course. But they were not just party kids with low GPAs.

1 Like

My daughter is similar
Applied for GMP - I donā€™t think we realized how tough that was.
Accepted:
MSU
UCSB
UC Irvine
Santa Clara
UW Foster
BC
Northeastern
Rejected Berkeley and waitlisted UCLA

most of sports category entries have low GPAsā€¦ naturally, their attention and focus was in sportsā€¦