*UC Berkeley Class of 2025 discussion**

If the Dual Enrollment courses are UC transferable, then they will get the extra honors point bump. Not all DE courses are UC transferable.

Okay gotcha, I get a 4.68 weighted uc gpa but a 4.09 capped weighted uc gpa for the yearly grade option :confused: , but when I choose the semester option the 4.09 goes up to a 4.29

The extra honors points that you input for the semester grades should be half as much if you are using yearly grades. 1 point for each year long UC approved Honors, AP, IB or DE course or 1 honors points for each semester so 2 points for a year class comprised of 2 semesters.

If your transcript says semester grades, then that is what you input. If it shows yearly grades then that is what you use. You cannot use both.

Okay thank you! My transcript uses year long grades, so my weighted is a 4.68 uc gpa and my capped weighted is a 4.09. Is this considered competitive?

Took 2 APs in 9th Grade (World History, Comp Sci Principles). Got 5s in both. Does that mean they won’t count? That would be ridiculous.

9th grade grades are not factored into uc gpa

1 Like

They can still see you took those courses though because you put them on your application (and if you put the score on there they can see that too)

And there’s a separate section for AP score reporting.

1 Like

They will definitely be counted for rigor but won’t be included in the capped/uncapped UC GPA calculation. This is one example of where UC GPA isn’t the only metric considered.

Here is the UCB admit rate for 2020 applicants:

2020 Freshman admit rates for UC GPA of 3.80-4.19 capped weighted and not major specific:
UCB: 14%

Here is the UCB Freshman profile GPA’s for 2020 admits:

Unweighted GPA 3.86-4.00
Weighted GPA 4.27-4.62

GPA is only one factor in the application review so GPA alone cannot determine your chances. Although your capped weighted GPA is on the lower side, your Fully weighted GPA is competitive.

Your intended major, HS course rigor, Personal insight essays, EC’s etc
 will all be factored into your UCB decision. UCB should be considered a Reach school for all applicants.

1 Like

Gumbymom, I love you! You have the best info and I always learn a ton!

4 Likes

what does UCB think a good fit is?

My D just noticed that the decision date was already announced in a letter from Cal a month ago. The letter was just a general letter saying her application was still under review, and freshman decision will be released approx. late afternoon/early evening (PT) on March 25, 2021. Did everybody get the same email?

2 Likes

Yes.

Thank you! Good to know it.

What about the request of letters of recommendation? Does that help my chances or do they request letters randomly?

2 Likes

LOR’s do help since you are given an extra opportunity to showcase your accomplishments.

Berkeley’s decisions come out the 25th right?

Yup

Is there a thread to discuss UCLA Cs Vs Cal CS? got accepted in UCLA CS and wanted to prep if Cal CS comes